FIX FZ1 mirroe droop

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck35

Reaction score
It seemed the mixed reviews on the cheap FZ1 mirrors were running 50/50. That proved correct, I had a problem with only 1 of mine.

It would "flop" down when I hit a bump, It took 2 attempts to fix this, lesson learned...Don't take it off the bike to fix it.

The mirror should have enough tension at the ball socket to flex the shaft slightly before the mirror moves when adjusting.

Do this on a hot sunny day so the sticky tape is pliable.

While pressing in on the outer edge of the glass, gently pry out on the inner edge, you may need to insert a stiff feeler guage or something to loosen the sticky tape.

Once the glass is out you can access the locknut, remove it and the spring and half ball. Clean any residual wax off of the mating surfaces.

Now with the mirror housing off, run the nut down over the shaft to "chase" the threads and loosen the nylon in the nut. I used a washer under the spring to add tension, but this probably isn't needed. Also, the 2nd time I went into this the glass came off way to easily. I used some silicone gasket sealer this time to hold the glass to the foam and hopefully allow me to remove it in the future if needed.

https://postimage.org/image/6v7a60wwr/

edit: I can't seem to get the image to display, the link works though

Last edited by a moderator:
FIFY

You need to "wrap" the image link in the IMG quotes or use the Image icon on the toolbar of the posting box.

mirror_bolt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: