FJ1200

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go for it! Great bike, loved my FJ1100. The sweet version is the later 1992 ABS, but an 89 is fine if the price is right.

Main likes:

Power, weight, handling, looks, reliability, amazing torque and acceleration, reasonable comfort

Main dislikes:

No ABS, clunky second gear (could mean major tranny trouble), leaking fork seals, chain maintainence

What to look for:

Fork seals, carb issues (hopefully low mileage and well stored, or rebuilt carbs), possible tranny issues if you have a clunky 2nd gear

Helpful sites:

https://www.fjmods.btinternet.co.uk/

https://www.robertmichaud.com/html/fj1200_info.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 92 FJ1200. Check out by blog link in my signature line and scroll down to see some pics. The FJ is an amazing "old school" bike. Brute power. Engines last forever. 89 was my favorite colour combination. I say go for it if the price is right.

I miss mine very much................grab it up if the price is reasonable.

00140003.jpg

Canadian FJR

Thanks for the "links" to, and the positive replies guys :) I'll see if the guy was serious in a couple of weeks. :unsure:

Karstenp --- nice '92 :)

Still have my 86 FJ1200 although both the 04 & 06 FJR's in the pic are gone, replaced them with another 06 and a Wee Strom :D

The two "bad " areas to look at are a leaking slave cylinder, look for blistered or no paint by the left foot peg, (cheap fix )and the 2nd gear problem. Short shifting the FJ into second causes wear on the dogs and therefore a worn 2nd gear will pop out when your lugging it and then get on the gas. Expensive fix ! Test ride the FJ and shift into second, then rock the gas hard ! on / off /on / off /on / off.......if 2nd gear is bad the bike will pop out of gear. Other than that they are rock solid bikes.

the--Stable.jpg

I put over 100K on my '89 over 19 years- when I sold it it still ran like new, no engine or tranny problems. And I beat the S*#* out of it. Much stronger that my porky, high geared FJR. A jet kit, cans and filter really open it up. Fork work,a good shock and FZR wheels with radial rubber made it handle. I sold it because it just sat in the garage. I guess I just got to old for it...

I had a 1986, one of the best bikes I ever had. put 130,000 miles on it by that time it was well used top end was about due for a rebuild, 2nd was about fragged but it never left me on the side of the road. I saw where one blew out an inside cylinder and the guy was still able to limp to town. I would buy another if a low mileage on turned up for the right price.

My 92 is still in the family with 125,000km. My oldest son now rides it (and I do the maint). I love to work on this bike, it's so ....."mechanical". I even still ride it when he'll let me. Check out this site for some great advice and cool folks.

https://www.fjowners.com

Tell em that Pierre send you :lol:

kookaloo

31426979_ya8gn-L.jpg

" in Nova Scotia they blend their petrol with baby seal oil during the Winter!!! "

00140004.jpg

All the bikes up here do that. Tires don't seem to last long either. :rolleyes:

Canadian FJR

Still have my '87 with almost 120K miles on the clock. Second gear issues should have been fixed by '89, but its always good to check. The '89 is a good year, has the benefit of the 17" front wheel, got rid of the useless anti-dive units, and has four piston calipers, plus its not as bloated as the later years.

I put over 100K on my '89 over 19 years- when I sold it it still ran like new, no engine or tranny problems. And I beat the S*#* out of it. Much stronger that my porky, high geared FJR. A jet kit, cans and filter really open it up. Fork work,a good shock and FZR wheels with radial rubber made it handle.
I owned an '85; my second favorite year behind the 1991. Not to highjack the thread, but I still have a complete 1990 FZR front end that never made it onto the FJ. I'd practically give it away to a forum member who has an FJ they'd like to modify.

I might ( might) have a chance at buying one. a 1989, supposedly mint. Whatcha think ?
I bought one new in '89. Great bike for the time. My web developer owns it now and it is his main ride. I still prefer the FJR but I loved that FJ.