FJR a bit fat for the Dual Compound Front Tires??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RenoJohn

Reaction score
Never have been shy about stating that I very much like the BT-021 Dual-Compound Tire. I pretty much said it all here (clicky)

Without question my favorite tire that I've used. However, like many (and a great overview IMO by Jeff A here clicky) the front would go away well before one would like it to ....and you could definately see the dual-compound at work ...and me re-thinking if a dual compund tire works well on the *FRONT* of the FJR.

I'm no tire expert, but do enough riding where I do care about what is holding my bike onto planet earth and IMO the FJR is a bit too obese for a dual compound tire in the front ....at least the BT-021.

I'm still in deep love with the rear BT-021 and feel the dual-compound works fantastic here and it gives a great compromise of great traction and descent mileage.

I will likey stay with the BT-021 rear and per Jeff's suggestion see how the Pirellia Diablo Strata works mates up with it as a front tire.

Here is a shot of the last three front BT-021's that I've taken off the old girl. You can see she beat them up pretty good and there is no doubt about where the dual-compound starts and stops. This is the most obvious on the very apparent riibs on the left tire.

Once the tire start getting to this point, there is no question that the great performance that they had when new is drasticly diministhed. In short, they go from Great to Poor as soon as it starts ...you can attempt to slow down the inevitable via your riding style ...but really, who wants to modify your riding to make a tire happy? Not me.

021FrontA.JPG

021FrontB.JPG

----------

BTW, not completley giving up on the dual compound tires ...mounted a pair of these up tonight and will give them a run over the weekend

PR2front.JPG

I'm tempted to try running the BT-021 rear with a 020 front. Both have gotten good reviews, while the rear 020 apparently melts as quickly as the front 021.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those pics are enough to keep me from buying the BT-021 fronts. I currently have the 020 on the front and an 021 ready to be spooned on the rear. I thought about getting the matching Stone for the set, but I now think I will go with the Pirelli or maybe even another 020 until I get the Michelin PR2's. The 020 I currently have on the front is wearing really well with no cupping or funny shaping. Post pics of how that PR2 front does. Maybe you're right and the dual compounds for the front just do not suit this bike.

Or...maybe...Bridgestone 021s don't suit this bike. The jury is still out on how the other dual-compound tires will work and last.

I got 3500 miles out of mine. Others have reported the same fate....they are great while they last, but the mileage sucks and the "V" shaped front makes for some ill handling!

I didn't think the front was dual compound. On their website they specifically state the rear has dual compound. But damn if those don't look like wore out dual-compund tires!

I need a front right now but had already decided against the 021 based on other users' feedback in the forum.

I'm tempted to try running the BT-021 rear with a 020 front. Both have gotten good reviews, while the rear 020 apparently melts as quickly as the front 021.
That combo may be in my future as well.

You make me laugh RJ... new tires, eh? :rolleyes:
LOL, Don, I'm going riding this weekend and I took a look at the front tire yesterday and figured I was pushing my luck. Going to be a nice weekend to be on a bike ...me going to sleep with my gear on so that I'll be ready when the sun comes up.

Post pics of how that PR2 front does.
Yes, I'm extremely curious myself. Not sure that tire is the answer, but feel lucky to have the chance to try it. Got a one time good deal, but still pricey for this hick.

Or...maybe...Bridgestone 021s don't suit this bike. The jury is still out on how the other dual-compound tires will work and lastI got 3500 miles out of mine. Others have reported the same fate....they are great while they last, but the mileage sucks and the "V" shaped front makes for some ill handling!
Yep, it may be just the 021's ...and I hate to exagerate these, they are a great tire IMO ..but they give up the ghost in a big way. You might be able to get the same mileage out of a BT-014 and have some real sticky grip? Yep, it'll be fun to see how the other dual compounds perform

I didn't think the front was dual compound. On their website they specifically state the rear has dual compound. But damn if those don't look like wore out dual-compund tires!
Please correct me if I'm wrong about the Dual-Compound

Thought this was interesting.... BMW Site.

All advertisement on the B-21's say the "back" tire is dual compound. I have about 3000 miles on the 21's and same shape is starting on the front. PM. <>< :D

Yep, I'm not feeling the lovin' from the 021's either. They remind me a bit of the Z6's or stepping into a pile of steaming dog shit - I can't remember which.

I haven't tried the BT-021s, but aren't they the OEM tire on the Concours 14? That bike is porkier than ours.

These days I use Stadas front and rear.

I have the 021's on right now, but they are about to be replaced with Diablo Strata's. The 021's are MUCH better than the 020's that came on the bike.

The 021'a are great performers, but they don't last very long. I have about 4500 miles on them and they are gone. At least the front and rear have worn evenly. They are both toast.

Still looking for that perfect tire that sticks like glue and lasts forever. :D

Had the BrideROCKs on my first two sport bikes run nothing but Michelin Pilots on it now. Good tire but just as you have once they start to go, they are gone.

The stock tires on my FJR are Metzler Roadtecs with 3500 miles on them and absolutely no wear or flat spots. Tires do take a bit to warm up but once the heat gets in them they are pretty good.

Thanks for the review on the dual compound. Will stay away from them for a bit.

Also, ever think to contact the manufacturer? They may be interested in your results. Customer feedback is always a good thing.

FWIW, I have the same wear pattern in my current front Pirelli Diablo Strada, though not nearly as accentuated as the ones in your picture. The center has a less worn high band in the middle and there are sharp shoulder ridges to the more heavily worn sides. The high band is much wider on my Strada, though.

Oh, and did I mention that it has >9k miles on it... :rolleyes:

I'm just waiting for a warm enough day to spoon another one on.

Yep, I'm not feeling the lovin' from the 021's either. They remind me a bit of the Z6's or stepping into a pile of steaming dog shit - I can't remember which.
The Baron may have come up with the next Great Biker Acronym (GBA): "SPSDS"

Example - Entering turn #3, the front of the bike suddenly gave the old SPSDS response.

Thanks to all you guys for the tire rundown.

I have had my PR2 on for about 1500 Miles. Not tooo much twisty time on them yet but I cannot see ANY V shape forming. Now it is warming up and I will get some twisty time, and a track day in on the 27th.

That should tell the tale. Track days are hard on tires but I am debating on changing out to the PPowers (I have had a set hanging on my wall in my garage for a few months)

If I run the PR2 on the track I will know.... Heck, I will just leave them on... Now I am curious