FJR a bit fat for the Dual Compound Front Tires??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My front storm, and the Metz, also had that distinctive Ridge in the middle of both when I took them off.

I assume I'm not running the right pressure (usually 40-42, max -2 me thinks). I suspect my PR-2's will look the same after 10k miles. The Storm front handling deteriorated faster though IMHO.

I think I'm done trying to stretch a front to last two rears, they really only seem to last about 1.5 rears for me, so changing both while a little more expensive should work out better.

My front storm, and the Metz, also had that distinctive Ridge in the middle of both when I took them off.
I assume I'm not running the right pressure (usually 40-42, max -2 me thinks). I suspect my PR-2's will look the same after 10k miles. The Storm front handling deteriorated faster though IMHO.

I think I'm done trying to stretch a front to last two rears, they really only seem to last about 1.5 rears for me, so changing both while a little more expensive should work out better.

If you run the 021's you get to change 2 fronts for every rear. :ermm:

Mmmmmm.... This is my kinda thread! Something I think I know something about, but in reality am probably clueless.

:)

I have perceived a "pattern" to the front tire wear pattern. Softer compound tires that are intended for lighter, sport bike types, will quickly wear into the dreaded "trapezoid". It's caused by the "lean-and-lock" of twisties and the resulting scrubbing away of the rubber as the hefty girl pushes through corners. My experience with Yamaha geometry has lead me to refer to this as "The Yamaha Rail". Hondas have always been on the other end of the spectrum for me, and remain more loose in the corners. IMHO, if you set up a Yamaha just right, nothing corners like it. If you set it up wrong, you'll wish you were on a Honda.

I've seen the trapezoid wear pattern show up on BT-021s, D220s, Z6s, Corsa-IIIs etc. The softer the rubber compound, the quicker it appears.

BTW, I confirmed with a Bridgestone rep several months ago, that the 021 front is not multi-compound.

Whether or not the PR2 and the RoadSmart will exhibit the same tendency is yet to be determined. I do know that the Pirelli Strada front does not tend to wear (much) "trapezoidially" :) , even when combined with a multi-compound rear.

I discovered that you can sand off the dreaded trapezoid, by running up and down the Cherohala Skyway. Sweepers don't require the heavy lean angles and the speed nicely scrubs off the apex of the trapezoids.

Last edited by a moderator:
Willing to be a guinea pig on occasion, I just mounted a Shinko 009 on the rear. I've only rode 100 miles on it so far, so I'll give a report as it wears out. Initially it feels just like any big name tire. When I bought it, it was a whopping $90. delivered. Unfortunately, it must be catching on as the price has jumped. :( https://www.ridenow.com/product/detail/ShinkoRaven.aspx

I discovered that you can sand off the dreaded trapezoid, by running up and down the Cherohala Skyway. Sweepers don't require the heavy lean angles and the speed nicely scrubs off the apex of the trapezoids.
Dude, that there is coinage! :lol:

Whether or not the PR2 and the RoadSmart will exhibit the same tendency is yet to be determined. I do know that the Pirelli Strada front does not tend to wear (much) "trapezoidially" :) , even when combined with a multi-compound rear.

I have been posting pictures of the rear PR2 with 6000 miles and totaly forgot about the front. Link to Tire Pictures

The front PR2 is worn evenly and measures 3mm tread depth across the tire. Just took a picture and will upload it this weekend.

I have been posting pictures of the rear PR2 with 6000 miles and totaly forgot about the front. Link to Tire Pictures

The front PR2 is worn evenly and measures 3mm tread depth across the tire. Just took a picture and will upload it this weekend.
Here is a picture of the front tire with 6000 miles on it.

0404080745.jpg

[The BT-021 front is "NOT" a dual compound tire.
BTW, I confirmed with a Bridgestone rep several months ago, that the 021 front is not multi-compound.
[SIZE=12pt]**My apologies to all.[/SIZE] I was (as were many) told that the front BT-021 was dual compound ...

This makes my thread premise all wrong .....nevertheless there is some weird wear with this front.

Met up with a buddy over the weekend, he just took this front off of his BMW RT

08Honderosa%20(142).JPG