FJR ABS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
<snip>On a non-ABS bike, if the wheels have not locked up then maximum braking has not been achieved
I think maximum braking is achieved just before lock-up (skid)?
: you can brake harder still until a wheel actually does lock up at which point you should release and re-apply the brake(s) to avoid a potential spill.
Actually, you can modulate the brake pressure applied to keep the tire at the threshold of skid.
Keep in mind that during the "release" the bike is no longer decelerating.
When modulating the braking effort, deceleration is still happening (more or less) -- just rolling off the throttle can induce deceleration.
The wheel(s) keep spinning thus avoiding a potential spill.
A non-spinning wheel (skidding) does not necessarily cause a crash (spill); conversely, crashes (spills) can occur while the wheels are still spinning.
ABS will allow a rider to "explore" braking limits without dire consequences.
So can "exploring" maximum braking without ABS -- consequences aren't always dire (sometimes, learning takes place).
I attended an ABS demonstration a few years ago where a BMW RT went from 60 to 0 on a lightly sand covered road using maximum braking and did so without ANY drama. Quite impressive!
Which proves....? As a grade school student I saw, in a lyceum, a guy hammer a (dry ice treated) banana thru a wooden plank -- never forgot it -- quite impressive!
I'm sold on ABS and wouldn't leave home without it.
Nice to hear of your level of faith..... :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
It is supposed to be really nice today and tomorrow.

Would riding the FJR while it looked like this be bad for it????

clicky

I mean it's just tupperwear, right?

EDIT: CRAP, that was supposed to be a new thread!!!!!!!

It is supposed to be really nice today and tomorrow.
Would riding the FJR while it looked like this be bad for it????

clicky

I mean it's just tupperwear, right?
Probably wouldn't do wonders for its self esteem, if you care about its psychological health.

I always put the wheels back on last, to keep me from taking it out ugly.

I got an idea lets invite Sir Isaac Newton to discuss his laws of gravity and physics as it relates to ABS and deceleration. We could also talk about the drag co-efficient of various surfaces in order to achieve the most out of our braking..... :aaskull: I think we killed this topic. Good night mrs. ocmonic where ever you are...

BTW you guys are too F'n funny.

I apologize. My earlier post was written at work with many interuptions. My train of thought obviously ( to me ) got derailed several times. I don't think I ever really clearly stated what I meant. I promise not to do it again. I just thought ABS would help a less experienced rider brake harder in a panic situation. I got too caught up in the techicalities. In the future I'll try to pay more attention in class.

There's been lots of studies done on ABS vs non-ABS bikes, from the ones I've seen a very skilled rider can stop a non-ABS bike quicker than an ABS bike, most of us aren't that skilled and aren't riding in controlled conditions.

One of the British bike mags, forget the mag but I can dig it out, recently tested an ABS FJR against a non-ABS bike using an experienced rider, a racer actually, and under some conditions, but not all, was able to stop the non-ABS bike marginally qucker than the ABS version. Can't remember whether it was wet or dry where he did better without ABS.

With my non-racing skills and 66 year old reaction time I'll take ABS thanks. I practice emergency braking with both my ABS bikes regularily and the brakes on the FJR work as intended with no bad characteristics whatever, or at least non that I have found.

I guess the bottom line (of the original question) is:

If you swerve while braking hard enough to activate ABS it can get very ugly, very quickly.

:drinks:

Thanks for telling me I can't do that type of maneuver anymore. I will remember that, as I practice it.

I will tell my BMW cruiser, it has to nose dive also.

We finally got some wet roads here I am going to play with the FJR brakes.

Have fun, ride safe.

I guess the bottom line (of the original question) is:If you swerve while braking hard enough to activate ABS it can get very ugly, very quickly.
I don't know...? This guy says he can do it:

I think...?(If I'm reading it right?)

'rocketdoc' post #21: My experience with the FJR's abs allowed steerage while under full braking as I was about to plough into a panel truck.The abs front and rear were activated and as I approached the ultimate I looked to a gap to the right, pushed the right bar and found the 'out'. I was shedding speed rapidly but would have impacted about 20 mph, so the steerability is what it is all about. Practice it on a wet surface, don't make your direction change too abrupt, but smoothly. Get the feel of it, and hopefully if/when you need it on dry pavement you will have the confidence to do it.

This topic has sure been ridden hard and put away wet. So I might as well put my .02 peso's in. To swerve or not to swerve, that is the question. Well yes and no. Or, how fast can you decide to swere and panic brake or to stay in a straight line and panic brake? I have a feeling the truth is in most panic situations your butt can pucker faster than your brain can analyize your terrible situation to swerve or not. It's said to be proven that those who have taken an MSF course or police officers training programs react no quicker or better than those who were trained by uncle Ned in the back lot somewhere in a panic situation. Your brain can only percieve the danger so fast and react. The left turner in front of you or or lane changer next to you or similar panic situation is only diminished by "your ability" "before" that panic situation starts to arrise. That is, your position in traffic or lane and your alertness, scaning, wisdom etc., before a situation happens. There are times when there will be absoultely noting in the world you can do to keep from crashing too. And if your too hot into a curve, it is ok to use the back brake to scrub off speed. But the same old advice is still in place, slow in, fast out. Especially if your not familiar with that turn. Also ABS brakes will save your bacon, especially in a panic situation. Panic swerve, for some reason those two words do not go together. You'll do better to wear bright colored clothing, keep your speed down and the way to stay focused and to hone your braking skills is as mentioned, practice, practice....Later, PM. <>< :rolleyes: Here is a link, its cruisers but still applies that might be of interest...Street Survival

Huh....We'd all be ok if they would just outlaw those four wheel death makers. Hail to the two wheelers. Ride one bubba gump, ride on!!!

<snip>On a non-ABS bike, if the wheels have not locked up then maximum braking has not been achieved
I think maximum braking is achieved just before lock-up (skid)?
: you can brake harder still until a wheel actually does lock up at which point you should release and re-apply the brake(s) to avoid a potential spill.
Actually, you can modulate the brake pressure applied to keep the tire at the threshold of skid.
Keep in mind that during the "release" the bike is no longer decelerating.
When modulating the braking effort, deceleration is still happening (more or less) -- just rolling off the throttle can induce deceleration.
The wheel(s) keep spinning thus avoiding a potential spill.
A non-spinning wheel (skidding) does not necessarily cause a crash (spill); conversely, crashes (spills) can occur while the wheels are still spinning.
ABS will allow a rider to "explore" braking limits without dire consequences.
So can "exploring" maximum braking without ABS -- consequences aren't always dire (sometimes, learning takes place).
I attended an ABS demonstration a few years ago where a BMW RT went from 60 to 0 on a lightly sand covered road using maximum braking and did so without ANY drama. Quite impressive!
Which proves....? As a grade school student I saw, in a lyceum, a guy hammer a (dry ice treated) banana thru a wooden plank -- never forgot it -- quite impressive!
I'm sold on ABS and wouldn't leave home without it.
Nice to hear of your level of faith..... :huh:

Can't speak for the earlier years, but the 06 has the best brakes ever put on a motorcycle.