FJR-AE RIDER REPORTS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qmotion

Reaction score
It's been almost 2 weeks since I've heard reports that the FJR-AE is out on the streets. I've even seen a few short reports from the lucky owners. Myself and others are still waiting to get theirs. It would be nice if those fortunate ones who have their FJR-AE's would be kind enough to come give us waiters updated reports as they rack up additional miles. For those of you that don't have the time to report to us because your still riding and just can't get off the bike long enough to post, it's understandable. If you take a break from riding this would be a good place to keep us informed on the progress. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
My first impressions follow on 20006 AE.

First of all, my hope that the shifting "lag" would decrease as rpms went higher was just wishful thinking. I would be interested in hearing from other AE owners if their clutch disengages prior to the engine power being cut. I am not going to get too concerned as this is a chip controlled function which means it can be modified but for all of you who envisoned "Ferrari like 100 milliseconds" it isn't.

Handles well...near sport bike level.

Very stable...much more so than the 2003 ST I had.

Vibration much more noticable above 4000rpm than I expected but think I will get accustomed to it.

Fit and finish of bike are excellent. Really like the silver (of course I am not bias at all).

Seat may be first stock seat that I keep in last twenty years although a little early to tell as I haven't spent more than 100 miles on it at one time but feels like it has a chance of surviving.

Grip warmers are great...first time I have had a bike with them and am thinking I have really been missing out.

Windshield isn't too good.

More later.

IBA12168

1999 XX/2000 ZX-12r/2000 SE RG/2006 FJR AE/2000 XR100-The Screamer

My first impressions follow on 20006 AE.
First of all, my hope that the shifting "lag" would decrease as rpms went higher was just wishful thinking. I would be interested in hearing from other AE owners if their clutch disengages prior to the engine power being cut. I am not going to get too concerned as this is a chip controlled function which means it can be modified but for all of you who envisoned "Ferrari like 100 milliseconds" it isn't.

Handles well...near sport bike level.

Very stable...much more so than the 2003 ST I had.

Vibration much more noticable above 4000rpm than I expected but think I will get accustomed to it.

Fit and finish of bike are excellent. Really like the silver (of course I am not bias at all).

Seat may be first stock seat that I keep in last twenty years although a little early to tell as I haven't spent more than 100 miles on it at one time but feels like it has a chance of surviving.

Grip warmers are great...first time I have had a bike with them and am thinking I have really been missing out.

Windshield isn't too good.

More later.

IBA12168

1999 XX/2000 ZX-12r/2000 SE RG/2006 FJR AE/2000 XR100-The Screamer
I notice the same lag - I notice it isn't as bad if I don't close the throttle before shifting (upshifting). Downshifting is pretty smooth.

Overall, I am still very happy that I got the AE.

I am waiting until I get all farkles installed on bike over next two weeks before writing up a REAL review.

Best regards,

Shane

@jbrwky - On the seat, you'll quickly find out that it get's mushy after a while. Secondly, you should sit/ride on some aftermarket seats to really feel the difference. I consider my Sargent money extremely well spent.

dgfella

There has to be more FJR-AE riders out there.
[SIZE=14pt] AE OWNERS[/SIZE]

baggie.jpg

Hmmmmmmm? The silence could be bad news. Most folks are eager to report the good stuff. I'm still waiting but hope the lack of response isn't that they don't want to relay bad news... :assassin:

Hmmmmmmm? The silence could be bad news. Most folks are eager to report the good stuff. I'm still waiting but hope the lack of response isn't that they don't want to relay bad news... :assassin:
I really like mine - the only reason I am now online saying more about it is:

1) Still waiting on several farkles (over the next 10 days).

2) Just got back from a vacation to Disney World with family and work is piled up.

The 350 miles I have put on it have been a lot of FUN!

Best Regards,

Shane

Most of us AE waiters here on the forum are in the lower 48 . Last week, someone reported only 6 bikes shipping within the US. I don't think there's a whole lot of response to this thread because there just AREN'T HARDLY ANY BIKES OUT THERE, yet. Give it another week or two. They are just starting to hit the dealers in a trickle.

Still waiting.... hoping.... want to farkle the bike in time for RENO..... :(

Mine arrived at Sunnyside on Saturday, I'll be picking it up Thursday.
Didn't you already post that in another thread? :angry: Go ahead, rub it in. :p :****:

(JK :D , Just jealous :jealoussmiley: ... :thumbsup: )

No rubbing intented. :D However, I am suspecting thst there are a few more than the 6 here on the ground that we had been told about. Maybe they are just sort of trickling in, but it sure would seem that a whole load would have left Japan at the same time.

My AE arrived at Yamaha of Cucamonga on 8 June 06. Will be riding it for first time on 13 June. Will make a first look report after riding today.

Have posted my impressions in another location but will post here also.

Have 400 miles on my AE now. Was a little disappointed at first. There is a learning curve involved. Found the smoothest shifting by not backing off on the throttle while upshifting. Still can't do a seamless shift like with a manual clutch. Shifting is rapid, but you cannot speed shift like a regular bike. The AE feels like it is more touring than sporting.

Got to be careful to not blip the throttle while stopped and in gear. Have done this a couple of times and scared the hell out of me.

Have a 1200 RS and am still not sure which one I would pick if I was offered one of them for free. Starting to lean toward the AE.

The AE allows you to become lazy while downshifting, exiting a freeway after an extended run.

The heat issue- This is my first FJR and this thing radiates a ton of heat sitting there idling in neutral all warmed up. What was this like before they "fixed" the heat issue? No heat from around the gas tank, just the lower half of the bike.

This shifting mode might be like the Segway, more hype than substance. In 400 miles, I just don't feel it's that revolutionary. A neat engineering trick.

Do like the FJR however.

Congrats on the AE's. My 2005 FJR use to get so hot around the tank it would literally cook your inner thighs. I use to darn near ride on the passenger seat to escape the heat.

There seems to be some mixed bag feeling on the auto-clutch. I do suppose that since there is a chip controlling things someone will come up with an upgrade program to make it sportier if you like it that way. Most of the electronic paddle shifters in autos are programable. I'm still looking foward to getting mine. No word on the ship date yet.

gmotion, you said your '05' used to be hot, what did you do to fix it? my 05 is stock in that regard.

anyone else also have a good fix?

thank's Alec