FJR Anchors inside Toy Hauler

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRScorpion

Reaction score
The wife and I, just returned from a great two week vacation visiting the Dragon, Hershey, DC, and Niagara Falls-CA! :clapping: My only regret was the repeated failure of the anchors that secured the FJR inside the toy hauler. I know that because of all the plastic, strapping the FJR is a challenge. For years I have successfully transported the bike in the bed of my truck without incident. Heck, I even conducted several short 'trial' runs in the toy hauler. Apparently "real world conditions" were not approximated close enough, because I guess the high speed road bumps and lane changing were more than the factory installed anchoring system could handle. On at least four occasions the bike was found on its side or nearly on its side upon 'road side rest stop' inspections. I made emergercy repairs to the anchoring system using visegrips, cable clamps, screwdrivers, and yes even duct tape. I think that I had 9 straps holding it at one point to compensate for the inadequate anchors. The anchor triangle 'rings' actually pulled apart from the force.

Here's my question:

After much rethinking, I do not want to underestimate the forces at work again, so I have decided to go with an anchoring system referred to as "E-track". They make two styles, vertical and horizontal. Since I only have the floor to mount it to and since it is also a walking surface when being used as a camper, I want to minimize the intrusion if possible without compromising the anchoring strength. One style is narrower than the other. Has anyone used either of these styles of E-track and does anyone have an opinion about the strength of either. Here's a link so you can see what I mean. E-Track Anchoring System Horizontal & Vertical

Thanks for any thoughts and not giving me a hard time about being a "Trailer Queen". :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
The main thing is to make sure the the tie down point actually go throguht the frame of the trailer and have plates backing it up. I beleive e-track is used in many semi trailers and car haul trailers, and will work fine, but if it isn't anchored to the trailer frame properly, it won't hold either.

Go with the floor mounted E-tracks. They even have a wheel chalk you could buy that attaches to the track. If you want to check out RV.NET clicky

There are alot of threads regarding installing them in toy haulers, just go to the toy hauler section and use the search button. I will probably go this same route someday if I ever decide to put the FJR in my toy hauler. I only use it for my dirt bikes and samurai while camping in the desert and havent needed them so far :clapping:

Thanks guys,

Yes, the M&R removeable wheel chalk is what saved my ass! If not for that the bike would have been all over the back of the toy hauler.

I guess my strapping perspective is from the motorcycle owner, not the RV owner. Seems that this is a common problem for strapping down a heavy bike on long distance hauls inside an RV. One guy even says that he straps his 'dresser' down every way he can figure with every strap he has. I'm with him after seeing my bike on its side. I talked with a representative of the E-track system and they said the strength was the same for either vertical or horizontal. I'm not doubting that, but I think it really depends on the angle of attachment. I would suspect that the use of the 5" wide horizontal track with heavy duty "O"-rings would be the best strength solution but the vertical track is more desireable at 3 1/2" wide. My concern is the different way that the lateral shear force is applied to the attachment mechanism. I will be sure to use the frame for support wherever possible too! :unsure:

Thanks guys,
Yes, the M&R removeable wheel chalk is what saved my ass! If not for that the bike would have been all over the back of the toy hauler.

I guess my strapping perspective is from the motorcycle owner, not the RV owner. Seems that this is a common problem for strapping down a heavy bike on long distance hauls inside an RV. One guy even says that he straps his 'dresser' down every way he can figure with every strap he has. I'm with him after seeing my bike on its side. I talked with a representative of the E-track system and they said the strength was the same for either vertical or horizontal. I'm not doubting that, but I think it really depends on the angle of attachment. I would suspect that the use of the 5" wide horizontal track with heavy duty "O"-rings would be the best strength solution but the vertical track is more desireable at 3 1/2" wide. My concern is the different way that the lateral shear force is applied to the attachment mechanism. I will be sure to use the frame for support wherever possible too! :unsure:
Secure to the frame ONLY.

I have a weekend warrior toyhauler and the FJR rides fine with a wheel chock and 2 floor tie downs in front and two floor tie downs in the back. All are secured to the frame! Bolts are better than metal screws. It may be a lot of work to access the frame due to water tanks and such...but it is worth it in the long run not having to worry about the bike and if it will be upright when you arrive at your destination.

Good luck!

I really think (personal experience) you would be better off with a Condor type chock.

https://www.condor-lift.com/photogallery.asp

There are others that make a similar style that traps the front wheel better than the style you described. The one you are using has a tendency to allow the front wheel to turn which puts a great deal of stress on the forks, especially if the rear of the bike is tightened down. A Canyon Dancer type strap on the handle bars keeps the bike upright but should not be ratcheted too tight. A strap around the front wheel to the chock will keep it from coming out of the chock

In conjunction with the Condor type chock for the front wheel, I simply strap the bottom of the rear wheel to D-rings on the floor placed on each side of the rear wheel. This allows the suspension of the motorcycle to absorb road bumps and minimizes stress caused by tie-downs to hard points to the bike.

YMMV, but I have traveled from the U.P. of Michigan to Arizona with my bike on a 28' Jayco Talon toy hauler for a number of years without a problem.

We haul two bikes in a cargo trailer. I use Wheel Docks and floor mounted etrack to carry the bikes side-by-side. The wheel dock secures the bike from moving forward and backward plus side to side jumping. I noticed that in several responses to you that they were secruing the bike down using the frame. My research said not to do this for the suspension is always under pressure and that can ruin it. They said to secure the bike's tires. I got straps that loop around the wheels. I then use regular tie down straps to stabilize the bikes. The bike frames float just like they would when ridden. Our first long haul was from Fayetteville, AR to Yellowstone. We encountered all types of road surfaces and the bikes arrived in perfect condition. Good luck and enjoy :)

we have a system like this in our hauler here at work. four horizontal rails per side. none on the floor tho.

Works fine for hauling moving carts, and big stuff like printers. You can wrench them down pretty tightly as long as the rails are secured well enough to the walls of the hauler :)

The wife and I, just returned from a great two week vacation visiting the Dragon, Hershey, DC, and Niagara Falls-CA! :clapping: My only regret was the repeated failure of the anchors that secured the FJR inside the toy hauler. I know that because of all the plastic, strapping the FJR is a challenge. For years I have successfully transported the bike in the bed of my truck without incident. Heck, I even conducted several short 'trial' runs in the toy hauler. Apparently "real world conditions" were not approximated close enough, because I guess the high speed road bumps and lane changing were more than the factory installed anchoring system could handle. On at least four occasions the bike was found on its side or nearly on its side upon 'road side rest stop' inspections. I made emergercy repairs to the anchoring system using visegrips, cable clamps, screwdrivers, and yes even duct tape. I think that I had 9 straps holding it at one point to compensate for the inadequate anchors. The anchor triangle 'rings' actually pulled apart from the force.
Here's my question:

After much rethinking, I do not want to underestimate the forces at work again, so I have decided to go with an anchoring system referred to as "E-track". They make two styles, vertical and horizontal. Since I only have the floor to mount it to and since it is also a walking surface when being used as a camper, I want to minimize the intrusion if possible without compromising the anchoring strength. One style is narrower than the other. Has anyone used either of these styles of E-track and does anyone have an opinion about the strength of either. Here's a link so you can see what I mean. E-Track Anchoring System Horizontal & Vertical

Thanks for any thoughts and not giving me a hard time about being a "Trailer Queen". :rolleyes:

Thanks for all of the info.

I have found out that the E-track systems are made by different manufacturers and have slightly different overall dimensions and capacities, so I guess "Buyer beware". I'll probably place my order tonight for two Horizontals and 1 vertical track systems with several different different restraining accessories. If I have any issues I let you know. ^_^

You might want to check out Ancra.com under the trailer link. I use the "Aircraft Style Logistics Track" and then use the "Single Stud L Track Fitting" on my trailer, not a toy hauler. I have hauled a lot of bikes and this system has always worked best. I have the track all the way around my utilty trailer as well as in the floor of it. The track is basically the same thing used in aircraft seat tracks, a little expensive, but works great.

I really think (personal experience) you would be better off with a Condor type chock.
https://www.condor-lift.com/photogallery.asp

There are others that make a similar style that traps the front wheel better than the style you described. The one you are using has a tendency to allow the front wheel to turn which puts a great deal of stress on the forks, especially if the rear of the bike is tightened down. A Canyon Dancer type strap on the handle bars keeps the bike upright but should not be ratcheted too tight. A strap around the front wheel to the chock will keep it from coming out of the chock

In conjunction with the Condor type chock for the front wheel, I simply strap the bottom of the rear wheel to D-rings on the floor placed on each side of the rear wheel. This allows the suspension of the motorcycle to absorb road bumps and minimizes stress caused by tie-downs to hard points to the bike.

YMMV, but I have traveled from the U.P. of Michigan to Arizona with my bike on a 28' Jayco Talon toy hauler for a number of years without a problem.
I totally agree here. I have several LA Sport chocks similar to the Condor in concept and have an easy 20,000 miles hauling bikes to the S.E. tracks. Just last week I put he FJR in my enclosed trailer with the same set up I have used for years....just drive it into the Sportchock and get off the bike (it holds it perfectly), then I use only the ratchet type ancra tie downs in the rear to give some forward and downward pull to the E track on the floor. I attached these to the passenger peg mount close to the frame. I have my E track down both sides of the trailer and the centerline. The E track is recessed and so not a "tripper". I did about 800 miles round trip this way on the maiden voyage for the FJR. I made a plate and welded the 3/8" bolts to the plate, then mounted it to the floor under the trailer. That way I can remove the bolts and LA chock from the inside by myself. I wouldn't overly worry about any shearing forces with my set up. IF you stop hard enough to shear a 3/8" bolt you have much more serious prolblems than your bike falling over.

I also have E track down the length of both walls about 3' high. Great stuff.

I'll be glad to send you pictures if you want to send me a e-mail address.

Steve Hunt