FJR and BMW 1300

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a friend here in Minnesota that owned a 1200 RT, I think a 2005. Nice bike, but not real fast. Traded it in for a 1300 GT in early summer. He loved the bike, but had it back to the dealer many times for randon intermmitent stalling. After a couple of months of this crap, they finally took the bike back, and made him a very generous offer on a new RT instead. Personally, I've had one Honda and three Yamahas, and they've all been bulletproof. That includes 4 track days on my 98 Honda, which still runs like it's new. As another buddy said years ago when he got rid of his old R/100, "BMW. Don't believe the hype". I'm sure most of them are decent quality, but I've heard enough sob stories to take my wallet elsewhere. Just my ignorant, biased opinion.

A buddy just bought one, because he thinks it can out run my FJR.
Did you really say that he bought one because he thinks it can out run your FJR? What a tool.

Tool? that's a bit harsh. I would hope it outruns the FJR based on price alone.

We know what we have. FJR's are great bikes for the money. They are not the end-all though. Most put a couple of grand into farkles for real riding and this boosts the price precipitously. Still not in the BMW territory but Beemers continue to have some fancy stuff that we can't get from the factory (ie; cruise control).

So, Cool bike I'm sure but out of my price range.

Did you really say that he bought one because he thinks it can out run your FJR? What a tool.

We know what we have. FJR's are great bikes for the money. They are not the end-all though. Most put a couple of grand into farkles for real riding and this boosts the price precipitously. Still not in the BMW territory but Beemers continue to have some fancy stuff that we can't get from the factory (ie; cruise control).

Audiovox CC: $85 (and a lot of hours to install it yourself or 200-300 to get Smitty to do it, I did mine). Skyway mount $85, but you don't have to get it.

Heated grips: $50-100, work fine

Heated seat $600-800 (sergent or corbin), in my opinion not really needed. Heated gear is fine.

Tire pressure monitor: $150+ installation

Reliability and peace of mind: priceless.

That's all you really need. Without the heated seat $300-350.

BTW, this sould go to the NEPRT. Sam

Audiovox CC: $85 (and a lot of hours to install it yourself or 200-300 to get Smitty to do it, I did mine). Skyway mount $85, but you don't have to get it.

Heated grips: $50-100, work fine

Heated seat $600-800 (sergent or corbin), in my opinion not really needed. Heated gear is fine.

Tire pressure monitor: $150+ installation

Reliability and peace of mind: priceless.

That's all you really need. Without the heated seat $300-350.

BTW, this sould go to the NEPRT. Sam
And if you should ever get one of the various SH__## error codes continuously, you may get to experience the Yamaha Colonic like I did for over 7 months (where Yamaha blames your electrical farkles for their problems)!

I traded my YAMA__CK for a 2009 BMW 1300 GT with all the options and I couldn't be HAPPIER! I will admit I only have ~3,000 miles on my 1300 GT, but it is a much better bike for me! It is a Porsche 911 and the FJR is a Camaro or Mustang (boy I will get flamed for honesty)!

Oh well, each bike is very competent and one should ride what floats his/her boat!

Happy Riding!

Shane

Hi guys

I had a FJR 1300'2004 and 4 months ago decided to sell the FJR and buy a brand new GTR 1400 (actualle 8000km).

Of course I thinked about K1300GT. But after a Pan European 1300 without problems and a problem free FJR 1300, I didn't want to buy a BIG PROBLEM. The strange thing is that I rode 2 times the K1300GT and realy liked the bike. But we can find so much problems with BMW's that I didn't want to take the risk.

Honestly, I think K1300GT and GTR1400 are both more refined and faster bikes than FJR 1300. It's a normal thing, because the conception of the FJR is oder 2001 vs 2007 (GTR) vs 2008 (GT). Overal, I think GTR 1400 is the better bike, with the FJR 1300 in second.

Between FJR and K1300GT, I would choose the FJR, without a doubt.

Regards,

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a buddy at work who bought one about 3 months ago. Just so you know BMW isn't immune from problems, his keeps stalling at odd times. They've tried various fixes and he still has the problem. This is apparently not limited to his.

It's always puzzling to me why riders want to spark a thread on a sport touring set concerning how fast a bike can go. Heck, if it's speed you want throw some bags on a busa or zx14 and ride like 'hell on fire'. I can't remember a road in the states where you can just cruise at 150mph for miles and miles; too many twisties somewhere or road rats or patrol cars ready to bring you to a screeching halt. Money object or not; speed will never be a factor for riding a sport touring bike; last I checked there were no autobahn roads in any of the 50 states that were not in a circle. Where is the practicality?

Comfort, Style, Riding position, Quickness, Handling, BRAKING, and A Good Looking Machine are the things that drive the sells.

The perks are great, but when you put a pen to the pros and cons and whether or not you are actually going to use them, that's where practicality comes in.

And for someone to shop around just to have a faster bike, why spend $$$$ more on a BMW or any fast brand, take what you have it to a conversion shop and they can turbo that baby for you for 1/3 the extra cost. Ramblings.....

Tell your buddy congratulations, and you guys stop looking at the little numbers on the zumo when traveling in excess of 100mph, might wanna watch for something on the road. Good to know you took the risk to let us know some real numbers though.

All ride safe and happy.