FJR and Computers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longrider

Reaction score
I am thinking of taking a laptop computer on the road with me and have questions for those that have done this. Will be on the FJR on mostly paved roads in the USA, Canada, Yukon, Northwest Territory's, and Alaska.

I worry about vibrations and impact to hard disk?

Any recommendations for how to pack/carry the computer?

Thanks

Longrider

I've fried a Gateway laptop hard drive after a cross country trip before. However, it should be noted that the laptop plastic came was squeezed into the side cases, so vibrations went directly from side case on to laptop.

I have since gotten a much smaller laptop, and packed in a carry case, and surrounded by clothing, I have had no issues after about 8500 miles in the top case.

Thus, my very non-scientific experience tells me a properly padded storage will insulate the laptop from damaging vibrations.

I agree with ponyfool. As long as you pack the laptop with material that wont transfer the vibrations, you should be fine.

I carry a notebook/laptop everyday for work on the FJR, sometimes a couple hundred miles per day. I made a 7,000-mile trip carrying the laptop last year. Here's a thought or two...

Size might not matter, but shape sure does. I have a Yami top bag and not many laptops fit well inside of it. The Givi 52 has better internal dimensions for laptops. I have one of the nearly tiny Dell D410 laptops, yet there's no way to fit it inside the side bags with any reasonable padding.

Be prepared to shop around for cases. I find one that provides moderate padding with minimal side pockets etc. to be most useful on the bike. The case I'm currently using is a Targus brand with the rubber feet removed. The feet chew away on the inside surface of the top bag over time, and they waste a lot of space. The case that works best for regular transport of your notebook may not be the case of choice for transport on the bike. Buy a cheap one for the bike, rip it up and make it fit well.

Pack your AC adapter and other accessories separate from the laptop. There's loads of vibration and contents shifting on long rides. Don't ever expect anything to be where you originally packed it. You'd be amazed at how much damage the prongs of an AC cord can do during the course of a single day's 600-mile journey, rubbing against the laptop shell. Make sure you don't pack any liquids in the same bag/case as the laptop. Pack your infrequently used but must-go clothing around the laptop (raingear, extra gloves, neck wrap etc.). It makes the best use of space and you won't be forced to remove the laptop you just packed to get at clean underwear. I just can't bring myself to pack my dirty underwear around the laptop. :(

Aircards are your friend. Internet access is simply not available in many of the places we stop. It improves your odds a lot to have an aircard Internet service.

SD cards are your best friend. A single 4GB SD memory card holds a lot of pictures and route files. Preprint some stamped envelopes and pack a few SD cards. Copy your latest pictures and mail it home. Copy your pictures and route files to an SD card that you keep on your person for backup. You have to worry about more than physical damage to the laptop and camera. You have to worry about somebody stealing your stuff from a hotel or campsite. While insurance may cover the equipment loss, it won't cover the loss of memories.

Lastly, good luck with getting the GF/SO to leave her extra shoes behind so that you can pack the laptop. You should see the expression on her face when I say, "Well dear, it looks like once again it's you or the laptop."

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've fried a Gateway laptop hard drive after a cross country trip before. However, it should be noted that the laptop plastic came was squeezed into the side cases, so vibrations went directly from side case on to laptop.
I have since gotten a much smaller laptop, and packed in a carry case, and surrounded by clothing, I have had no issues after about 8500 miles in the top case.

Thus, my very non-scientific experience tells me a properly padded storage will insulate the laptop from damaging vibrations.
How well it works will be partially dependant on the laptop. I took my Thinkpad on a ride of about 2000 miles. It was jammed bare into a sidecase, and it came out fine. So, its a toss of the dice, though I would bet that total distance, vibration, and temperature all play a part.

Now, I usually put the laptop into a carry case, and then that into my topcase, primarily to reduce scuffing and cosmetic damage. Of course, If you're worried, there are a number of hard drives out there that are shock-mounted. And there's always solid state options, though they are expensive.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just be sure that any invaluable data you have is backed up. You DO keep backups, right? Right?

I have gone 7000 miles with my standard-sized Dell laptop packed and have had no problems. From 40 to 108 degrees. I bought the smallest laptop case I could find and then wrap that in a plastic garbage bag. It fits perfectly in the Yami trunk...FLAT about half way up. I just fold my softest stuff, (fleece, etc) under it so that it sort of "floats" in there to reduce any vibration. Take an aircard and you're good to go.

As far as additional packing space is concerned for a two-up trip....we added two extra external waterproof bags (and of course a good tank bag) on our 5100 mile trip to Utah/CO this summer and it worked great. We had plenty of room for regular clothes, dress clothes, hiking clothes, shoes and the laptop.

loaded.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have carried a laptop for many thousands of miles, including the 2007 Ironbutt Rally without a problem. I use a Pelican case and cut out the foam to fit the computer snuggly.

What I've been thinking about lately is combining the GPS with the PC so you don't have to carry both. Basically, you could mount a mini, weather-proof tablet PC where your GPS is and when you get somewhere, you take it off and unpack your USB keyboard and you are good to go. A solution would look something like this.

1. Get a rugged, weatherproof tablet PC that is not too big: EXAMPLE

2. Get really good GPS and trip planning software: EXAMPLE

I think something like this could be really cool for general travel, rallies, and so fourth!

I carry a laptop in a leather bag, which actually has room for the charger, a mouse, network cables, a couple manuals, and another laptop. I carry it in a Givi E52 top case, and have crashed with it (slow low-side in gravel last fall a mile or so from 29 Dreams). It came out much better than I did! Also in the top case in the crash were some clothes, a towel, sneakers, etc.

What I've been thinking about lately is combining the GPS with the PC so you don't have to carry both. Basically, you could mount a mini, weather-proof tablet PC where your GPS is and when you get somewhere, you take it off and unpack your USB keyboard and you are good to go. A solution would look something like this.
1. Get a rugged, weatherproof tablet PC that is not too big: EXAMPLE

2. Get really good GPS and trip planning software: EXAMPLE

I think something like this could be really cool for general travel, rallies, and so fourth!
There's a post somewhere here a few years back where someone had done just this. I have no idea by who or where it was located. There was a video of the installation with explanations.

I did a 5000 mile round trip last summer and I had my laptop with me for the ride. It traveled strapped in a laptop carrying case and packed amoungst clothes inside my Givi top box. It poured on the day I left but the box kept everything dry. Everything worked out fine, the laptop still works well without any problems.

IMG_0960.1.jpg

I would really look hard at the Mini PC's that are $400.00 or so like this : https://tinyurl.com/48kv4z The SD option does away with the hard drive the most likely problem area. The Atom chip and SD consume much less power too. If you are into Mac's the Mac Air is a very nice option a great keyboard, and a lot more features, but it the cost is more. I plan on adding a Mini for the next riding season for uploading photo's, mail etc. I use an iphone now and it works well but the lack of copy and paste is annoying.

I have a Sony VGN-UX180P that does the trick (Need to pull out the reading glasses to see screen) size is convenient and it has a hard drive "hold" switch for lock down.

If you have a normal sized computer--and your needs are more commuter related--and you want a specific use option, GIVI has some pretty neat stuff that uses an existing (for me, anyway) rack.

https://www.giviusa.com/caschi_borse_bauli_...454&lang=en

I would really look hard at the Mini PC's that are $400.00 or so like this : https://tinyurl.com/48kv4z The SD option does away with the hard drive the most likely problem area. The Atom chip and SD consume much less power too. If you are into Mac's the Mac Air is a very nice option a great keyboard, and a lot more features, but it the cost is more. I plan on adding a Mini for the next riding season for uploading photo's, mail etc. I use an iphone now and it works well but the lack of copy and paste is annoying.
+1 ...... I have a Dell Mini9 on order now....I presently have a Toshiba Ultralite that I carry but I am opting for the smaller unit with a 16 gb flash drive for a hdd......should save a little space.

Either way, get an incase neoprene case for it.....that should help.

For lightweight traveling, I use an Asus EEEpc. The thing is small, I mean really small, with a small but usable keyboard, and all the basics for travel. Uses a solid state hard drive, so has no moving parts (fan excluded). It fits with tons of room to spare in the side bag on my FJR. I slipped it into a neoprene case, and surrounded it by soft clothes.

If you go with a regular laptop, be sure it is completely turned off when you load it up, and not just in sleep mode. Some laptops will "wake" up for certain events, and you don't want your hard drive spinning as you motor down the road.

We've done three long trips w/ 3 different computers. My old Compac was a real heavy business unit. When I broke the ac plug, I took my daughters 17 inch gateway to wfo in Park City. Now I have a 14 inch hp, carry it in a neoprene sleve in the Givi 46. Like others pack soft goods around it, and never had a problem with it on the road. Good Luck