FJR and Golden Section

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v65

ouch
Reaction score
For some reason I became curious as to whether the beautiful lines of the Feejer fit a classic golden section. What do you think?

fjrgoldensection.jpg

Divine proportion... One full semester of that in architectural school. Funny, subconsciously, I use it every day and I'd say it's at play here, too. Now, my Wabs on the other hand... :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Was never too good with mathematics, though pretty good in arithmatic, so I'm a little lost with phi but pretty conversant with 0-60. :lol:

No wonder installing a taller windshield makes the bike look so funny. :wacko:

I should have done a better job explaining what a golden section was, instead of just including a link. I was a bit tired at the time, thats my excuse. Anyways, the ancient greeks (famous for the Parthenon among other architectural wonders) came up with this idea of phi, which was supposed to be a number from the gods. Objects built with lengths in this proportion are supposed to be the most beautiful.

The human anatomy (at least good looking ones :lol: ) exhibit this ratio, so there is another psychological reason why we should find this ratio pleasing to the eye. Crap or not, designers of all sorts use the golden ratio. So it is reasonable question to ask whether it was used in the design of the FJR. I would have guessed the answer is no or minimally given all of the other design constraints involved in designing a motorcycle, but the stator, to me, is a natural focal point, and does seem to be near a golden section.

Looks better to me without the red stripes. :lol:

Actually, I'd bet that the designers are familiar with the concept but, as you said, have many other constraints to deal with and come up with a compromise. Still, I'd say they did a pretty good job. The FJR is one of the more aesthetically pleasing bikes.