FJR and snow

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HaulinAshe

Reaction score
My first experience today with the FJR and snow. Actually my first experience with a street bike and snow since my 1978 BMW R650!

I found making time an impossibility, even though most of the road was clear. Reading the road was even more difficult. Couldn't determine what was salt and what was snow until my tires hit it.

The surprising strips of black ice around corners made life interesting too. I don't see how you guys around Colorado and such deal with it.

Time for me to wear the center stripes out on a few sets of tires. I'm done with mountain riding until March.

IMHO to be a full time/all around rider you must be able to ride any and all conditions. Anytime on a motorcycle is better then sitting at home. Most guys don't like riding in the rain, I like it once in awhile. It makes you a smoother, better rider. Snow and ice can be a little scary, but if you ride all year in most parts of the USA you will have to deal with it. I not crazy, and won't head out with snow on the road. But after the roads are clear for a few days its a great time to ride. The biggest concern is water running across the road during the day refreezing when the sun goes down. Dirty roads are also a big problem, just back off a few 1/10ths and watch you "lean" angles. Me and my brother went for a ride yesterday. Left the house in the rain, had a few places where the pucker factor was a little on the high side. Made two ferry crossings and put another 300 mile on my blue beast. The main thing is not to ride faster than the conditions allow. Now get out there everyone and ride... Smitty :)

IMHO to be a full time/all around rider you must be able to ride any and all conditions. Anytime on a motorcycle is better then sitting at home. Most guys don't like riding in the rain, I like it once in awhile. It makes you a smoother, better rider. Snow and ice can be a little scary, but if you ride all year in most parts of the USA you will have to deal with it. I not crazy, and won't head out with snow on the road. But after the roads are clear for a few days its a great time to ride. The biggest concern is water running across the road during the day refreezing when the sun goes down. Dirty roads are also a big problem, just back off a few 1/10ths and watch you "lean" angles. Me and my brother went for a ride yesterday. Left the house in the rain, had a few places where the pucker factor was a little on the high side. Made two ferry crossings and put another 300 mile on my blue beast. The main thing is not to ride faster than the conditions allow. Now get out there everyone and ride... Smitty :)
+1

Posted this pic already, but to give you an idea on our weather here..... :p

Snow.jpg

Riding in snow,sleet and ice is like anything else, be prepared. Practice and patience.

Some people have to ride in those conditions from time to time.

Practicing in the rain is one way to better a rider (not being stupid mind you). YMMV

I don't really do it anymore because cagers forget there limitations and it really dirties up the underside.

Word from the frozen north, here's how to handle ice & snow with an FJR.

1. put on all you're cold weather gear.

2. go to garage

3. place bike on center stand

4. Mount bike

5. Make motor noises with your mouth until (a.) the ice & snow goes away or (b.) your lips get cold and break off.

:dribble:

Last edited by a moderator:
Word from the frozen north, here's how to handle ice & snow with an FJR.
1. put on all you're cold weather gear.

2. go to garage

3. place bike on center stand

4. Mount bike

5. Make motor noises with your mouth until (a.) the ice & snow goes away or (b.) your lips get cold and break off.

:dribble:
Just did that last night, after an hour I was wiped out. This cold weather riding definitely drains you.

Would someone explain to me why in the hell you would ride in conditions like that unless someones life (your own?) was at stake? Is it the thrill to see if you can make the ride without killing yourself - is that it?

Would someone explain to me why in the hell you would ride in conditions like that unless someones life (your own?) was at stake? Is it the thrill to see if you can make the ride without killing yourself - is that it?
I had a beautiful ride. The roads were 98% clear and the temps well above freezing. So I never felt that I was taking unusual risks with my life or anyone else's. My only concern was possibly loosing the bike at slow speed and being stranded under the damn thing for hours while my nads froze off. Oh yeah, and I was concerned about having to repair/paint the damn thing!

But the ride was so spectacular, just like riding through a Christmas card. The NC mountains with light snow, have frozen streams, sights and smells that simply cannot be described. They must be seen. And what better view than from my FJR.

We all ride, therefore we are all willing to take more risk than most. I would not take a passenger with me on such a ride. I also planned an early cutoff (which I used) in case I could not make the time table and return to base as scheduled. I printed my route and approximate times, and left the plan with my brother for safe keeping.

I see it no differently than flying. You prepare yourself and the equipment as well as you can. You file a flight plan and always have a contingency in place. If you come up missing it's because something major went wrong, despite the best of preparations. I never pass up a chance to burn someone's hours up in a plane. I took a helicopter ride once and landed down in the Grand Canyon. I've seen some of the most beautiful places God ever made on this planet, right here in my own backyard known as the Appalachian mountains. Most of them I've seen from the seat of a motorcycle or the back of an old Willy's Army jeep.

Hell! Somebody send me some decent used snow tires. I'm going back!!!

:D :yahoo: :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I swore of riding in snow, driving in snow, walking in snow, shoveling snow, snorting snow, looking at snow, thinking about snow, skiing in snow, snow angels in snow, peeing in snow and anything else that has to do with snow and it's affect on my own self 11 years ago. Enjoy that white shit, y'all!

Oh, it's sunny and 70 again.

:****:

I swore of riding in snow, driving in snow, walking in snow, shoveling snow, snorting snow, looking at snow, thinking about snow, skiing in snow, snow angels in snow, peeing in snow and anything else that has to do with snow and it's affect on my own self 11 years ago. Enjoy that white shit, y'all!

Thanks for that little reminder TWN, we love you too. :cold:

EXACTLY! But - whatever floats ur boat I guess

Some of my favorite rides are up in the high country before the snow melts. This was last May on my shadow, B/4 I got my FJR. You do need to be aware that it is freezing and there could be some ice but the rides are gorgeous.

DSCN0383.jpg