FJR and snow

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Until the last two years, due to on going medical problems, I rode pretty much 12/12 here in N. IN, S. MI. Now I didn't go out during snowstorms(intentionally), but we would ride given reasonably "clean" roads for up to 3-4 hours in 20F temps. Obviously one rides at a far more sedate pace, but ANY day one can ride izzah GR8 day! Given that I rode my FJR (1st '06 delivered in USofA on 31 March) for one pain filled hour in the last 18 weeks...haven't had any good days. Thank you Dr. Rudy K, who seems to have made matters much worse with a neck surgery to relieve a pinched nerve that has in fact made it WORSE! So, if you can ride your FJR(or any bike)...enjoy!!

My new surgeon sez that I should be able to "eventually" ride, if all goes well with the upcoming, much more invasive, neck surgery II. Oh boy...........DFO :(

:D :D :p :p :D :D

Picture043-1.jpg

I rode yesterday and today, didn't even need my Gerbings. It was in the low thirties yesterday and the low twenties today when I was out. I took my bike to the dealer for the TPS recall. I rarely go for more than a couple of weeks without getting some "throttle therapy". It's supposed to be in the low 40's here (central Minnesota) tomorrow. If I don't get out for a ride then, my wife will try to medicate me because she will figure I have to be sick :D

Lee

For all you guys riding in the winter, you might want to get some 3M film for your cowling under the radiator, and you definitely want the fender extender.

Unless you like the way this looks:

DSC03839.jpg

Some of my favorite rides are up in the high country before the snow melts. This was last May on my shadow, B/4 I got my FJR. You do need to be aware that it is freezing and there could be some ice but the rides are gorgeous.
Well, it seems to me that you can practice as much as you want, be as prepared for contingencies as much as you can be, etc., etc., but all it takes is one goof and brother you could buy a trip to the bone repair shop in a New York second. It doesn't make sense (to me) to take on additional risk in an already risky endeavor. Riding in rain is one thing. Riding in driving rain is another. Up the ante to snow/ice and it's more than I'm willing to chance. Here on the west side i.e., wet, of the Cascades, I just put the bike on the c/s for long periods and stare wistfullly at it for days at a time. The thought of hitting a patch of ice while under way is terrifying. So, why stress on it?

The beauty of geezerhood is two-fold: Reduced testosterone levels and improved imagination. (One can quite well compensate for the other, if you get my drift) It does a (my) body good.

Just my $0.02.

Last edited by a moderator:
My first experience today with the FJR and snow. Actually my first experience with a street bike and snow since my 1978 BMW R650!
I found making time an impossibility, even though most of the road was clear. Reading the road was even more difficult. Couldn't determine what was salt and what was snow until my tires hit it.

The surprising strips of black ice around corners made life interesting too. I don't see how you guys around Colorado and such deal with it.

Time for me to wear the center stripes out on a few sets of tires. I'm done with mountain riding until March.

Talk about riding in the snow.......

on a Wing :unsure: :blink: :huh:

https://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179236

:clapping: :D :clapping: :D :clapping:

Some of my favorite rides are up in the high country before the snow melts. This was last May on my shadow, B/4 I got my FJR. You do need to be aware that it is freezing and there could be some ice but the rides are gorgeous.
DSCN0383.jpg
First let me say - I would love to ride in that ditch, but not on a bike.

1. Covered in a heated garage

2. Stabil in the fuel and a Battery Tender connected

3. Started and warmed up once a month

4. No riding ( the bike ) until April.

Follow these steps and winter is no problem.

:drinks:

Forgot all about snow when I moved to California 22 years ago. Moved to Washington and got re-introduced. Weather has been so bad I haven't ridden in 2 months. I got on the bike to ride today, until I realized someone had stolen my handlebars. I felt better when the wife told me she thought I got on backwards. She was right. I really need to ride more often.

1. Covered in a heated garage2. Stabil in the fuel and a Battery Tender connected

3. Started and warmed up once a month

4. No riding ( the bike ) until April.
Not a hi-jack but, just a thought about number 3. Occasional starting causes condensation inside the engine.

Unless the engine is started and ridden (to bring the engine up to temperature) it will do more harm then good.

The engine must be run hot enough to burn off by-products and if storing for a few months, you should

store with clean fresh oil. Starting an engine dirties your oil and you must re-Stabil the fuel after a while.

By dirty oil I mean, used oil with fuel, water and by-products etc bad for the engine when left.

Occasional starting also dirties your exhaust. This should be hot enough to burn by-products as well.

Leaving the engine for the whole storage with fresh oil and stabil is easier and better IMHO.

Run it one last time with Stabil, change oil and treat exhaust and other parts for corrosion.

This is not extremist, it is a simple one time winterizing action. You can leave it for 6 months no problem.

Just a thought, do what you like.

Back to snow. This is bad.

flag.snow.bike.jpg

Living in Reno this time of year, if you go for a ride you're always taking a chance on whether (weather?) Mother Nature will let you come home. I do my best and I thought this weekend was one of the safer ones. Knew it would be a bit dicey when I left (friday afternoon) but should be good by Sunday when coming home. I wsa off to a ride to eat in Morro Bay to meet up with FJR guys

Immediately saw chains were required over Mt. Rose so darted around to Spooner Summit which I thought would be relativley clear. It wasn't the roads around Lake Tahoe were pretty nasty. ...but spots of blue sky would poke through:

P1010004.JPG

P1010009.JPG

Notice the pointed icesicles forming from the wheel hub:

P1010013.JPG

Oh Crap, now it's getting bad ...more chain controls ...but only about 50miles to Bareman's so if I can just get through .....which i was able to sneak by the checkpoint:

P1010014.JPG

The roads here were the worst of the trip. Going up the grade was bad ...many cars had spun off the road and I'd have to head into deep snow to go around them. Highway Patrol officers were directing traffic and they'd see me on the bike and come toward me to undoubtedly tell me to get off the bike. With my dark visor I'd pretend I didn't see them and keep going........

-----------------

----------------

Here is another trip over the Sierras ...again it was to meet up with some FJR guys (see the common theme to this? ) ...but because of the next day's riding terrain I took the strom, not the FJR

this started as hard rain but over mt. rose got pretty dicey for a while. slicker-than-snot would be a better way to say it.

P1010116.jpg

P1010122.jpg

P1010123.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: