FJR and ST on a 6000 mile 3 week comparison

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cotyjim

Reaction score
6000 mile comparison of my ’04 ST1300 and ’13 FJR1300:

First off, the comparison is my opinion with a few facts thrown in. Take things as that, just my opinion, yours might very well be different, but that’s ok, that’s why they make both of these bikes and the many other competing bikes available out there for us to choose from. I am posting this on the ST-Owners and FJR forums.

A little history:

In 2009, I took my oldest granddaughter (12 at the time) on a motorcycle camping trip from Illinois to the Black Hills, Yellowstone, Cheyenne Frontier days, PCH, and dumped her with her other grandfather in LA. I returned home solo and visited a few HS classmates along the way. We used my ST1300 and had a great time.

This year, I have a grandson turning 13, so I thought I should try the same trip with him, but my son was interested is going along, I did my research and purchased a new FJR to accompany the ST. My son and I would trade off and the grandson would also rotate, so there was a near equal seat time for each of us on both bikes.

Equipment:

ST has 33,000 miles, audiovox cruise, GPS, XM, Honda fairing and mirror deflectors, Cee Bailey +6+6 shield, Givi rear case, grip heaters, Spencerized seat, multivex mirrors, and Bagster tank bag.

FJR has Givi 357 mount with Bestem 929 rear case, Givi tank ring mount bag, Yamaha touring windshield, and Spencerized seat.

We used Sena com gear on Shoei Neotec helmets (3).

First day was a 600 mile jaunt to get away from the flatland in Illinois getting us to Mitchell, SD (home of the world famous Corn Palace). We ran about 60 miles in a nice downpour followed by near 90 deg heat with 90% humidity. The ST had the better rain/wind protection, but was noticeably warmer than the FJR in the heat. The riding range was limited by the FJR with the smaller tank and overall about 7% lower fuel economy. That first day (90% interstate at 5 over the speed limit) the ST averaged 51mpg and the FJR 47mpg. We changed riders and passenger at each stop to even the load on our butts and the bikes.

The next 6 days were less interstate and more twisty roads (Black Hills 16/16A, Wyoming 212, 296, 14/14A, Idaho 22). The FJR was the clear choice in the mountains, providing a more confident feel and the weight difference seemed to become more evident even two up. It seemed that the performance difference was magnified at altitude, perhaps the real power to weight when the air is thin gives a larger advantage than at sea level, it just seemed that I was doing a lot more downshifting on the Honda to get around the turns and setting up for the next turn. We were not in “racing” mode, but we were keeping a nice pace on the mountain roads.

While at the campground in Custer, SD, we had about a half mile of rough hilly gravel drive from the paved road to our campsite. The Honda seemed to handle the loose gravel in a more stable way, but the Yamaha was easier to control at low speeds on the gravel. I attribute this to weight vs. drive by wire throttle.

Altitude fuel economy improved on both bikes, because of normal altitude air density and lower operating speeds. It seemed that the Yamaha was always in “tune” at altitude, but the Honda would sometimes have “fits” of hesitation and poor running that were usually cured by a rebooting of the key. This could be faulty engine mapping at altitude, or being sensitive to the low octane fuel available at altitude. I was using the same fuel for both bikes, generally the cheapest stuff that would go in the tanks.

This brings up one minor annoyance of the Yamaha. The fuel tank filler port has a multi-holed baffle that makes consistent filling of the tank difficult. Given enough time and a cooperative pump nozzle I could get one half to a full gallon more in the tank by nursing the fuel in and sloshing the tank left and right as I filled. The Honda can be filled to the same volume nearly every time without the monkey motion required for the FJR. Since the FJR controlled the fueling frequency, it would be nice to get as much in as possible.

In summary, both bikes are very good and are tuned for slightly different riders. I wish I could select attributes from each to make a hybrid bike that would be near perfect for my riding.

Both bikes have more than enough performance for an old man like me, the Yamaha is capable of making me wet myself in spirited operation and it wins in that category.

Long distance touring I lean slightly towards the Honda for comfort, smoothness (FJR has a high frequency buzz in the handgrips and seat at 4000+rpm), slightly larger saddlebags, and tank range (Honda could easily go 300+miles on a tank, Yamaha 240-285miles). The grandson preferred the Honda because it gave him more leg and seating room, he is about 5-11 and 125 pounds. I am 5-10 and about 150 pounds, my son is 6-3 and 185.

Standard features goes to the Yamaha for a cruise control better than my cars, factory grip heaters with adjustable heat settings (1-10 levels), and more info on screen that you can read in 99% of lighting conditions. The 82mph limit did not become an issue, in fact it was just right for the 75mph speed limits.

The Honda speedometer is good at estimating your speed to the nearest 10mph, but the odometer is relatively close at about 2% error. The FJR’s speedo is within 1-2 mph at double digit speeds and the odometer is on par with the Honda. I used the GPS as a reference for both and for calculating mpg. The Yamaha wins with a pretty close fuel economy calculation from the dash meter, the Honda is always off by about 6+% (reports too low).

I received the Canyon Cages while out west, I will be putting them on this weekend, but thank goodness I had the Honda at Mt. Rushmore when I had a tip over in the parking lot. Not sure what the damage cost would have been for the same on the Yamaha, but for the Honda, it was $0.

When preparing for the trip, I found the Yamaha to be a little more difficult to access the battery and fuse area for adding power feeds for accessories.

Neither of the bikes have stock lighting that is acceptable for this level of modern machines for night operation. Driving at night on unfamiliar roads was exciting at best and near dangerous when the forest rats are lerking.

I will be deciding which one to keep next spring and selling the other, unless I can talk my son into another trip (maybe to the East Coast this time). It might come down to a flip of the coin, but the Yamaha Cruise control and drive by wire will probably tip the scale to the FJR.

Good comparison! I haven't had the opportunity to spent much time on a ST1300 because of the summer heat issue that results in few units being sold where I live but the only surprise in your evaluation was the gas mileage. The ST would be my choice for riding double were it not for the heat issue although I think the very smooth but somewhat bland engine lacks the fun factor of the FJR. I was a very satisfied ST1100 owner for almost 10 years and sometimes wonder why I ever sold it.

Excellent writeup! Nice to know how my bike stacks up with a veteran touring machine like the St1100. I really like the fact the FJR feels smaller on the road. And the cruise control as you stated is superb!!

Thanks again.....
punk.gif

Excellent comparison and right on the money for my experience. Dad's FJR is the '07 gen 2 so obviously the cruise control is not available. His speedometer and my ST1300 have almost identical error.

The differences in riding on gravel I attribute to the FJR having a more forward weight bias than the ST1300, the FJR is more like a big sportbike. Dad hates gravel and sand and really anything that is not paved. The fuel mileage differences are exactly what I have always found between my ST1300 and Dad's FJR. It has never been an issue though. As far as the handling, they are both very stable on any kind of twisty road. I think sometimes how we load them down affects the stability more than the bike's design.

Be glad you have the Gen 3, in order to get Dad's '07 to work well at altitude we had to install a Power Commander 5. Which by the way worked flawlessly up to and over 11,000 feet. Dad was very pleased with our mods. My ST1300 has always worked well in the Ozarks and the Smokies, the Rockies were another matter. I too experienced a little "stumble" over 6000 feet with the ST. Very disgusting for me really.

Good Stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Another thing I might add to this, Pop and I always run the same tires. Depending on which one wears out its tires first of course. Both of our bikes came with Bridgestone BT-020s, we tried the BT-021s together (Garbage) then went to Michelin PR2s and now Michelin PR3s. Our front tires generally look about the same, the same wear patterns that everyone complains about. But the rear tires never look the same. Dad likes to leave a dark gray line on the pavement while exiting a curve. Looking at his tire it is obvious he is spinning it while leaned over. I have to really twist the throttle and run a lower gear to do that. Even harder with the PR3s, they seem to have more edge grip than the PR2s.

..........Dad likes to leave a dark gray line on the pavement while exiting a curve. Looking at his tire it is obvious he is spinning it while leaned over. I have to really twist the throttle and run a lower gear to do that. Even harder with the PR3s, they seem to have more edge grip than the PR2s.
PR3's softer compound (than the PR2's) would confirm this.

Nice write-up and comparison Jim, enjoyed reading it! :)

Congratulations to you at staying in the saddle long enough to get the 6.2 to 6.6 gallons in consistently. I am usually off the bike before that for a break.

Good write-up for those that are looking for an ST-1300.

I'm not one of them.

The FJR isn't perfect, but it fits my touring style well enough.

Concerning fueling, I just returned on my Gen 1 FJR from a 6000 mile trip as well. I took it through a number of higher elevations, most notably Pike's Peak @14,100 feet. The fueling was perfect. Not so much as even a hiccup. Power seemed to be down a bit, which is what I expected, but not nearly as much as I thought it might be. Started and ran perfectly through rain, 120 degree temps, and every altitude.

Gary

darksder #44

Good write-up for those that are looking for an ST-1300.
Not exactly sure how to interpret this ^^^. It sounded to me like he preferred the FJR.

As much as I love my ST-1300, and I really do love it, the continued refinement of the FJR really puts it ahead of the Honda. If I had to replace my ST tomorrow there would be no way I would pay an MSRP of over $18,000 for the Honda that has not changed since '03 when the Gen 3 FJR is sitting right there with cruise, heated grips and all the other goodies for just over $15K.

As much as I love my ST-1300, and I really do love it, the continued refinement of the FJR really puts it ahead of the Honda. If I had to replace my ST tomorrow there would be no way I would pay an MSRP of over $18,000 for the Honda that has not changed since '03 when the Gen 3 FJR is sitting right there with cruise, heated grips and all the other goodies for just over $15K.
Aaaaah... isn't the comparison between an '04 ST and a '13 FJR? Not a '13 ST and a '13 FJR? I mean, I know Honda needs to refresh the ST, but expecting two bikes that are 9 years apart in age to be comparable is a bit of a stretch.

Great post, cotyjim. If, and I say IF, Honda does a redesign, I'll be first in line for a test drive. I love my '07 FJR, but the buzz has always been an issue, despite all the things that I have done to try and alleviate it.

Aaaaah... isn't the comparison between an '04 ST and a '13 FJR? Not a '13 ST and a '13 FJR? I mean, I know Honda needs to refresh the ST, but expecting two bikes that are 9 years apart in age to be comparable is a bit of a stretch.

Great post, cotyjim. If, and I say IF, Honda does a redesign, I'll be first in line for a test drive. I love my '07 FJR, but the buzz has always been an issue, despite all the things that I have done to try and alleviate it.
Unfortunately for the bike buying crowd, the ST is the same, except for color every year since 2004, so other than the mileage, my ST is on par with a new ST at about $6000 less purchase price. Yamaha has revised their offering in an attempt to correct issues, while Honda feeds us the same hardware and expects the paint color to draw new buyers. If Honda had a new offering in the ST group, I would have seriously considered it. To compete with the FJR though, it would have to loose some weight, gain a little power, and add some modern features that the FJR has standard.

That is exactly the point. There is no '13 Honda ST1300. To buy a new 2012 would cost about $18,800 before taxes. Other than the change in color, that bike would be practically identical to the '03 model. It would even come on the BT-020 tires. Meanwhile Yamaha has tweaked, improved, and refined the FJR steadily. It is $3,000 cheaper yet offers more.

It does not matter what year Honda ST1300 you use for a comparison, they have never changed.

I have no need or desire to replace my Honda at this time but if I did, I would be riding a Yamaha. Happily riding a Yamaha.

Redfish, life is short and we only got one. Buy yourself an FJR!
I am not going to get in a bind unless the 2014 color is very similar to the '07 Black Cherry.

Since I cannot ride my ST to its full potential, I don't think the platform is holding me back. Hopefully before I buy another Sport Tourer I will have a dual sport of some sort. I would also like to have a Gixxer 750 and a Harley Electra Glide. Of course I also have issues with boats... I'm married...

Honestly, I really love my ST. I am very happy with it and I don't expect to wear it out anytime soon. Oh, but when I replace it...

Enjoyed reading the review. Ironic, I had a 2004 ST1300 for almost 10 years and loved it. Set up and dialed in for me perfectly. Sold it after breaking the screws in my spine from a laminectomy. One year after the second surgery, I picked up a 2014 FJR with 700 miles for $10k. What a deal and what a bike. As much as I loved the ST, it is nothing liked the FJR.