FJR and ZX14 Side By Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
>>>> someone should have told the designer, "son, son, it's time to put the pencil down. Enough is enough all ready.

+1, I still want one though

>>>> someone should have told the designer, "son, son, it's time to put the pencil down. Enough is enough all ready.
Say, Cdogman, I see that you're from Salt Lake City. Why all of the ex-wives? I thought you guys could just keep them all. :p

Then again, all that estrogen running around the house at the same time........ Never mind. :dribble:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just returned from a little round trip to visit an old friend. Had the opportunity to ride his new ZX and he the FJR. We had a few raindrops to drive around but still had an enjoyable ride. I kept myself to about 7/10ths while my friend explored the outer edge of the envelope.
The ZX is a fun bike. I rode it for about 20 minutes. Fat guys with short arms can scratch the ZX off their list. The seating position is definitely more sport than anything else. My back was done at the 20 minute mark. As for the performance, wow. It takes a few rpms before the beast awakens, about 3500 to 4000. Then it is kind of a big whooosh and you are gone. It probably has another 40hp on the FJR. FJR is more linear in delivery, the ZX a little more spikey. The trans shifts smoother than our ride. It has 6 speeds! That should make some people happy. The clutch pulls with very little effort. He said it is some special spiral spherical hydraulic thingy that makes it so nice. Is definitely more of a 'Busa class bike than a sport tourer. Protection on the ZX is a joke compared to FJR. He was very impressed with the windshield. He must have put it up and down and every position in between while he was riding.

In a drag race vs the ZX the FJR is akin to bringing a knife to a gun fight. The FJR got him off the line and then he built up RPMs and all I saw was tail lights. I think the FJR will definitely soak up the miles easier than the ZX but it would be a fun bike for things like 1st Thursday, Betty's, Porky's, etc.

Now that the incident is behind me I need to concentrate on getting the wings ready for my fellow FJR riders!
I got the opportunity to ride my friends UNCORKED zx-14 yesterday. With the secondaries removed, a pciii and a custom map with a homemade type k&n air filter, after market exhaust. Let me say in this form there is 0 lag on the bottom end. It simply accellerates from off throttle to the rev limiter. 2nd gear doing 90mph and it was the smoothest motor I have ever felt. After a little bit of riding I got comfortable and the handling was very nice also.

As many know I like the sport bike positioning and to me this is a very comfortable bike.

The owner has already done a 3 day ride into West Virginia on it and loves the bike.

If I was in the market for a different bike I think the zx would have my vote!

I have never ridden the stock form but the owner says it is definitely night and day difference how he has it now.

Stock 166 hp and in the high 90's tq

Now 186hp and 101 tq and with the secondaries removed it has power instantly no need to wait until 3-4 thou.

Awesome ride...

In person it is a beautiful bike.

He painted the side leuver. He painted the fins red like the bike and the flat part a gloss black instead of flat.

It really looks good.

Say, Cdogman, I see that you're from Salt Lake City. Why all of the ex-wives? I thought you guys could just keep them all. :p

Then again, all that estrogen running around the house at the same time........ Never mind. :dribble:
Man, I gotta tell ya, It is indeed a case of excess something. I am beginning to wonder though if it is not something to do with me rather than the girls I pick. At some point ya gotta wonder.

I gotta say, today is SWEETT!!!! High 70's and all. I needs to go ride cuz the snow is just around the corner.....

Hey, if I could get me about 12 of them and get the, all to work I could just ride all the time Hmmmmmmmm

I don't get why people keep comparing these bikes. Only a moron isn't aware that the zx14 is far sportier than the FJR. The bar risers only bring it up like 1/4-1/2 an inch. They are still working on a good windsheild, but you have to tuck in to get good wind cover for now. I test drove it and it has super balls, but different people prefer different types of bikes and different riding positions. Not everyone needs to do a quarter mile in 10 seconds!! I for one have had enough tickets and the FJR is still capable of earning me more!!!!!

Bottom line (IMHO ): The FJR & the ZX-14 are BOTH great bikes. The 14 is much higher on the grin-factor scale than the FJR. That is a big personal definition of what motorcycling is TO ME(edited by madmike2 to signify basis of this response) …to feel more connected to the road and the riding experience.
Yet, you continue to come on THIS forum about FJRs and spout the greatness of the ZX-14. Nobody doubts that you now have the perfect bike FOR YOU. I'm just trying to figure out how many assimilations you will get (or are trying to get) for the Kawi.

I am (and so are many others) far past the stage of my life where I can ride in that position for any length of time. My soon-to-be 59 yr. old knees not only ache, but scream for attention while sitting on a 'Busa or Blackbird. I can't imagine actually riding one for 12 -14 hours like I can the FJR. I don't need to feel more connected to the road because I am not willing to pay the price for a tiny mistake, because if I had more than the FJR, I'd be tempted to ride it far more aggressively than I do now. And I really don't need a longer, heavier sport-bike. That's what a GT bike is, isn't it? (If that qualifies me to be an "Old Fogey", then Amen, brother, I are one!) I wanted a bike that would accelerate and brake well, have distant maintenance centers, come with "matched" luggage, etc., etc. Pretty much the definition of what Yamaha built as the FJR. I loved my Connie and always hoped the Kawi would update it, but they haven't....Yamaha has!

The two bikes (FJR vs. ZX-14) come to the table from entirely different design points. The FJR is a sport-tourer. The ZX-14 is a GT bike that can be converted to sport-touring duty. The ZX-14 was designed to be a 'Busa killer and that is the role it has. How can you, or why would you attempt to, compare that to the sport-touring design of the FJR.

To me, the only question remaining is, what do you want from the bike you buy? You obviously wanted something much more aggressive in style and nature than the FJR will ever afford you. Great! I'm glad you found your answer. But the bikes are so different in concept, there is no way to compare them hear-to-head, except as to physical characteristics pertaining to how the rider interfaces with said machine (seating, arm/leg room, fulfillment of need/desire).

Now, let's go for a little ride....say, to Seattle and back. :D
Well stated! Did I hear you correctly? You have a Connie and are waiting for an update??

Tell me about your thoughts on the new Connie 1400??

CK

BTW: Mike, You really are mad, eh? :p
I just figured I'd celebrate my birthday week by being "cranky" :argue: and, okay, a little :angrysmiley: . I do read the posts in the "Sportbike" section. When the discussion is under that heading I figure..."free rein, baby". But he continually expounds on the greatness he feels for his ZX-14 on the "FJR FORUM", go figure. That bike's ergos are not a good fit for all people, based on other articles I've read (MCN, and the more popular motorcycle magazines). It WILL work as a sport-tourer and be a very sporty ride, albeit not comfortable for one of my size, age and physical condition. I just don't think the two bikes should be compared head-to-head as if they were created or designed for the same purpose. :rolleyes:

GEEEEZZZZ, I can remember when my DAD was 59!
olderrr.gif

And now I'm way past that date! Happy birthday, youg fellow!

CK

Worthless to compare apples to oranges but did someone say Seattle & Back for comparison ? Now if we're talking about FJR & sport touring, not how fast can I go, bye ZX14, See you when you get back if you can stand the ride, FJR will be waiting at the finish....

Last edited by a moderator:
Worthless to compare apples to oranges but did someone say Seattle & Back for comparison ? Now if we're talking about FJR & sport touring, not how fast can I go, bye ZX14, See you when you get back if you can stand the ride, FJR will be waiting at the finish....

If you could get some apples and oranges at the same time we could have a friut salad. Get some whip cream, I call my ex-wives, we have a party.......

I looked for a 14 to sit on. the dealers hear or SOO!! backwards at times. They treat you like they are doing you a favor by allowing you to look around the showroom.

Thats OK, I still need a bigger garage. If the ZX is for those with small penisis, and it makes them bigger. I want one. My average one may get bigger too and that would be swell..... **he runs of looking for a penis enlarging bike :yahoo: **