FJR arrival vs BMW K1200GT

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of the aftermarket stuff is good. Most is crap.
Yeah, I prefer OEM too, but there are plenty of good aftermarket options available to make the FJR even better.

Heated seat from Corbin -- Corbin sucks so bad I refuse to damage my bike by putting their crap on any of my bikes.
I don't share your opinion, though I will say people seem to love or hate. Quality-wise I think Corbin is very good.

Cruise control -- There used to be an Australian company who manufactured an electronic cruise control for motorcycles. I'm not sure if they're still in business. I've heard it worked well, but I don't have any info on reliability. 
I've got 25K trouble-free miles with mine & I'm very happy with it (MCCruise). Probably wouldn't have the FJR without it due to numb hand (and that's with PCIII "smooth" map). Took me a looong day to install. For aftermarket, it's very well integrated.

So the "crap" judgement seems a little short-sighted.
After working in the industry and seeing a lot of aftermarket stuff, I'm not impressed. For example, still too much electrical stuff is unshielded and not potted (especially with Goldwing aftermarket goodies) and a lot of stuff is so badly engineered that it's suitable for "show use only".

I'm not saying that all aftermarket stuff is bad, some is quite good (and you'll find that those guys are usually OEM suppliers for someone or another), but after watching a lot of it pass through one of my jobs, I'm not impressed by most of it.

As for ESA/Paralever/Duolever/ABS-Integral, I was simply replying to a request about what OPTIONS could not be had on the FJR. If you replace the brand names with the generic terms for those items, you'll see that the Yamaha has no aftermarket source for: electrically adjustable suspension / shaft drive parallelogram link / Hossack front end / power brakes. I have no interest in turning a Yamaha into a BMW.

These vehicular items all exist idependently of BMW and Yamaha. It's not a BMW because it has a parallelogram rear link. It's just a vehicular option that the Yamaha doesn't have. These items are all in the public domain (BMW had to wait until the patent on the Hossack front end expired, which makes you wonder if Telelever was just an answer to a patent problem and not an engineering problem).

Last edited by a moderator:
I will say that the 89.00 dollar audiovox cruise control works very well. And it only took my dad 2 days to instal it. :D

Glenn