FJR Carbon Fiber Hydroprinting

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solorogue

Reaction score
So this weekend I decided to experiment and learn hydro printing. I am not great at it yet, but I was able to do a few successful dips with some of my parts. I plan to keep getting better and do some more dips on my bike. Hopefully next week I can try and take on the black parts of the dash/ cockpit area of the bike.

Has anyone else ever do or tried hydro printing on the forum?

Here is a pic of my efforts. Again, not great yet, but not to bad for my first go at learning.

FJR_CARBON_HYDRO.jpg

BTW.. here is a picture of why it's a good idea to wear gloves when you dip.. I now have carbon hands :)

CARBON_HAND.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That is totally Awesome looking!!!!!!!!!!!

Man I want the emblems like you have done, my rear black plate part, well anything that is now black.

Very cool I need to look into it, or to someone who knows what they are doing, like you :)

Thanks LAF - I am kind of happy the way it turned out, but not perfect enough for me. Still a little rough. Perhaps if and when I get better I could offer to do some hydo printing for forum members, but right now I am not comfortable enough in which I would HATE to mess up other memebers bike parts. If it's mine I can always work to fix it, but other people's stuff make me nervous. Again, perhaps with some practice and doing my bike I will get better to do other peoples. I will let you guys know how it goes if you want and post pictures.

I wonder how it would work on Helmets?

Latex gloves are your friend.

Keep us updated on how this works out.

Dave

So this weekend I decided to experiment and learn hydro printing. I am not great at it yet, but I was able to do a few successful dips with some of my parts. I plan to keep getting better and do some more dips on my bike. Hopefully next week I can try and take on the black parts of the dash/ cockpit area of the bike.

Has anyone else ever do or tried hydro printing on the forum?

Here is a pic of my efforts. Again, not great yet, but not to bad for my first go at learning.

FJR_CARBON_HYDRO.jpg
Looks pretty slick, how durable is the finish? For example the side panel gets a fair bit of wear...

Also, how expensive is it to setup with all the necessary stuff to do this at home?

Never have seen this before, interesting technology. Nice job on the FJR parts.

Keep us posted on the results.

--G

Cool stuff. I would guess the secret to finishing is the use of a great clear coat, but that is true of most paint and finishes.

Spent some time looking at this and decided I will give it a try as well. Here is a link to a great overview of the process (video 1 of 2).

I love the idea that you can paint the part any color you want and that color will show through the dip.

The process isn't too expensive.

Carbon Fiber film = $75 (there are hundreds of other print films, from wood, metal, skulls, to the crazy)

Activator= $100 (1 gallon)

a large tub = $20-$40 (can get a good rubbermaid tub at Walmart or Target)

Spray Primer =$10 (any good hardware store, prefer automotive paints)

Sandpaper = $12

Latex gloves = $10 (one thing I forgot to use, and the activator chemical does sting a bit on hands)

Mask = $10-$20 (use protection when spraying activator, can damage lungs)

Base coat Paint= $12 (any good hardware store, prefer automotive paints)

Clearcoat = $20 (any good hardware store do not recommend spray can, use the best automotive clearcoat)

(do not mix water-base and oil base products in paint/clearcoat. Use the same maker products, do not mix recommended)

What can you dip??

Just about anything. wood, metal, plastics, rubber, glass. You just have to prep it correctly

The Process is vary simple but does take some trial and error, as well as practice.

- First scuff/ sand your part to be dipped

- Next spray prime your part (let dry fully)

- Now paint the base color of your choice. You can do any finish, gloss, semi, flat, etc)Let paint dry

- Next prep your film by cutting a piece a bit larger then your part you want to dip. Use masking take to create a frame around the film

- with the tub filled with warm water (between 75-85 degrees) lay your film on top of the water. Let sit for 60secs

- spray the activator on the film in the water. Notice the film will start to spread you, in essence it turns to a liquid form

- carefully and slowly, at a slight angle, drip you part in the film.

- shake the part underwater to clear the film and edges and pull the part out of the water. Voila!

- Next water the part off, clearing the remaining glue/adhesive from the film

- Let the dipped part dry and then spray with durable clearcoat

- Buff finished part for a great completed look

There are a great deal of vids on youtube that talk you right through this and some great how-tos. Just do a search for hyrdo printing, water transfer, hydro dip, etc. Hope that helps guys.

-

A friend of mine who builds rifles did this to a couple of AR-15s he built. One is silver snake texture and the other is a copper snake color. They are cool looking, and seem pretty durable. He is still getting the hang of it too, but the second rifle looks better than the first. I'm thinking the learning curve with this stuff may not be crazy steep.

I agree that is a very interesting process!

I note that you mention the mask is to protect your lungs from the spray activator... the mask shown in the video you linked is nothing more than a simple dust mask... it will do nothing to filter out chemicals that may be harmful!

I would strongly suggest that anyone who decides to pursue this trick new technology step up to a mask type that will actually provide protection from the chemicals. A NIOSH rated mask is not expensive, and can be found in any store that handles safety equipment... probably most decent automotive paint stores will have them as well.

Be safe, and have fun (using the appropriate safety gear)! I'd hate to read later about interweb friends who were suffering from lung damage!!!

Don

I agree with you as well Dsmack. The guy in the video is using a rattle can version on the activator, which is not as bad. I am using an automotive spray gun, and use a NIOSH rated mask with canisters. Either way, you only have two lungs, two eyes, ears, etc.. and I suggest you protect them.