FJR Carbon Fiber Hydroprinting

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Solorogue, how thin is the activator? Since I am only looking at doing smaller parts to start I am hoping that I can do this with my airbrush and a large tip/needle and get better results than a rattle can.

an air brush would work. You can even use a spay bottle for a small application. The activator is what activates the film and basically turns it into a liquid form. You just have to make sure you spray enough activator across the film. There is some trial and error, but I have used a spray bottle before and you will actual see the film expand and liquefy to dip your piece. Hope that helps.

While I agree the Hydroprinting produces some impressive results, I am not so eager to take on something with as much preparation and care as this process takes. After reading the OP's initial post I searched for 3M (or similar) quality carbon fiber self-adhesive sheets. Well, not real carbon fiber (duh!), just a print of the carbon fiber. Surprisingly I found several sources on-line with reasonably-priced outdoor quality carbon fiber sheets that are relatively easy to apply to both flat and curved surfaces. One source actually showed a video of covering a computer mouse, complete with all of its compound curves, with the carbon fiber sheet. All it took was a sharpie marker, a exacto knife, scissors, and patience. With this process you can start over if you get a wrinkle or bubble, plus you gain some weather durability without having to add the additional step of clear-coating. Since the newer bikes are only available in silver, I see the application of something subtle like this as a way to break up the monochrome look without the fuss.

Last edited by a moderator: