FJR Comparisons

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I looked over a C14 at Wilson's in Fresno prior to buying my 07 feejer.

1. I saw no benefit to the KIPASS system whatsoever.

2. I did like the looks of the "petal" brake rotors - way cool.

3. Fit/finish not up Yammie standards.

4. The exhaust canister is absurd.

5. Did I mention the exhaust canister?

The FJR is the better bike in my opinon, but as long as you ride somthin' it's all good!

biknflyfisher

I test drove an 08' Connie then bought an 04' FJR. I agree with most of the above regarding the c14. Just didn't fit right for all that money, windscreen was shorter, sitting position was too hunched over, seat was to high off the ground, fugly ginormous pipe on one side and that kipass fob which you can't start the bike if the battery is dead or if you drop the fob while riding. The points I liked were that it sounded like a jet turbine when you turned the key on then was nearly silent (like an electric vehicle) when riding and the 6th gear was smoove like buttah on the interstate. I'm very happy with my FJR and since it was used I saved about $5000 and only had to give up 14k miles.

I looked pretty hard at both bikes and in the end I went with the FJR for 2 main reasons, Looks and handling. Call me shallow but a bike needs to look great and the C-14 leaves a lot to be desired. And the FJR just plain handles great, the most important factor for me.

When I was shopping around, I looked at the FJR, R1200RT, C14, and the Moto Guzzi Norge. Decided on the FJR due to looks, value, reliability/history and that the 08 should be a vintage year as Yamaha has made several tweaks over the years to get rid of the known annoyances.

After looking over and trying out/sitting on the Beemer and and the C14, they were removed from my possibilities mainly due their fat frontends (I've seem the term "excess visual mass" used to descibe them); especially when sitting on them. Looks like they could have a dozer blade or a snowblower mounted on the front. More protection, but I've gotta be able to like looking at the thing! The Norge (great looks!) came in a close second, but lost out due to performance, higher maintenance, fewer dealers and less value (subjective - to me).

I've had an FJR since July 03, rode the Connie last fall. Big top end power, and it does corner Very WELL, especially if you don't like dragging your pegs. I hang off a bit to prevent it on the FJR, while on the Connie, lots more room to lean the C-14 over, I liked it, but not enough to change to it. My 2 cents worth.

I bought an FJR 3 weeks ago, sold my Harley V-rod two days ago and I have wanted an FJR since they introduced them in Europe.... What a bike!!!

There's certainly no shortage of riding comparisons between the FJR and the ST...of which the ST often comes out on the losing end...not only by folks here but in many motorcycling mags. But I haven't seen one comparing the FJR and the new Concours.
Is there one? Has anyone here ridden, owned, borrowed a Connie to see how it stands up to the FJR? My impression is the Connie is heavier and doesn't appear to have the cornering ability of the FJR. Interested to hear what others who have experience with the two think.

Keith

I rode the new Connie 14 and ended up buying the FJR. Why? I was very impressed with the Connie's motor. The Connie is very fast. However, the negatives of the Connie pushed me towards the FJR. The FJR handled better. The Connie's engine gets quite a bit hotter than the FJR's. The Connie has 1 giant exhaust pipe on the right side and I didn't like the look. Finally and I know it's minor but the glove box on the Connie didn't lock. While the Connie is a lot of fun and very fast, I didn't think it had the all around performance of the FJR. Just my two cents.

Interesting comments about the cornering - you would get lots of arguments from the C14 owners out there.
There have been quite a few comparos - the C14 lost a lot of them for various reasons - one of them complained that C14s brakes were TOO good (go figure).

However of late there have been a couple that put the C14 slightly ahead of the FJR.

The basics are;

C14 is faster in the high end, but slower off the line unless you remove the 'secondary flies'.

C14 brakes are 'better'. I gather that means 'twitchier' by some standards.

C14 has a number of technological advantages - it is a Canbus machine, has that stupid fob, is quipped with factory tire pressre monitoring and so on.

C14 bags are apparently marginally larger, but are placed way too high - the mirrors give you a great view of the bags - then again my mirrors give me a great view of my elbows.

C14 base warranty is 3 years. FJR is 1. Both are extensible.

C14 is somewhat heavier, but it carries the weight a bit lower than FJR - range is impacted as the FJR can go farther on a tank of gas.

C14 runs on premium grade fuel - FJR takes regular.

C14 is slightly smoother. It also has an overdrive 6th gear.

Essentially the bikes are close enough that you just buy the one you like and ride with your buddies, who buy the ones that THEY like.

Oh and the C14 has that really ugly exhaust can..
Great write-up. I agree that there is no "one best" motorcycle for everyone.

One more comment. I had originally coveted a C14 based upon the old adage - no such thing as too much speed. I've spent a lot of time on the C14 forum. Several Connie riders on their forum have admitted that they have raced buddies on FJR's and that the bikes ran virtually dead even. I'd still like to ride a Connie to see for myself, but I love my FJR like no other vehicle I've ever owned and likely will buy a new FJR next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought an FJR 3 weeks ago, sold my Harley V-rod two days ago and I have wanted an FJR since they introduced them in Europe.... What a bike!!!

I hear what your saying! I purchased an 08 about a month ago and sold my Electra glide two weeks ago. There is no comparison at all. The only thing in common is they are both good looking bikes. Performance wise it's like comparing a Eugo to a Ferrari. The only thing I regret about the FJ is not owning one sooner!!