FJR "Consumables" to have on hand?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverHound

Reaction score
I like to have a supply of "consumables" on hand for my bikes rather than waiting until I need something and finding out it's on backorder or just having to wait for it to be shipped. For my purposes, consumables also include those little parts that all bikes have that seem to break or fling off into the nether regions of my garage. Being new to the FJR I am not aware of all the pieces I may need so please advise if I am missing anything. So far I have on my list:

Plastic windshield screws and nuts

The two different kinds of black plastic fasteners (push rivets and those philips head thingys)

Crush washers for the oil and final drive plugs

Oil Filters

Air filter

Moly Paste (already had that for my Hondas)

50 amp main fuse

How about those 4mm mushroom head allen bolts that hold the plastic on...do they tend to "disappear"?

Sorry if this is specifically covered elsewhere. I did a search and could not find anything all inclusive in one spot.

I keep engine oil, final drive oil, oil filters, and crush washers. I've also got an extra ignition switch that's been keyed to my key, along with the special bolts. I may never need it, but if I do, I'll have it pretty handy.

I generally keep up with other stuff, and I've found over the years that stocking up on things with the expectation that they might be needed tends to leave me with a pile of stuff to try to sell on ebay or give away when I get rid of the bike.

Yamaha seems to be able to get stuff to my local dealer in a couple of days most of the time, and even when I order stuff from www.mrcycles.com, it comes quickly.... even stuff that is supposedly backordered.

you might want to pick up a few of the plastic washers behind the metal mushrooms that protect the paint.

i went with a K&N air filter, so i have the stock one for a spare.

i think that the blister pack at NAPA for the 50 amp fuse was one of the cheapest price wise, i have several of them.

the rest of your list is right on.

cadman

I like to have a supply of "consumables" on hand for my bikes rather than waiting until I need something and finding out it's on backorder or just having to wait for it to be shipped. For my purposes, consumables also include those little parts that all bikes have that seem to break or fling off into the nether regions of my garage. Being new to the FJR I am not aware of all the pieces I may need so please advise if I am missing anything. So far I have on my list:
Plastic windshield screws and nuts

The two different kinds of black plastic fasteners (push rivets and those philips head thingys)

Crush washers for the oil and final drive plugs

Oil Filters

Air filter

Moly Paste (already had that for my Hondas)

50 amp main fuse

How about those 4mm mushroom head allen bolts that hold the plastic on...do they tend to "disappear"?

Sorry if this is specifically covered elsewhere. I did a search and could not find anything all inclusive in one spot.
I keep the plastic fasteners too and a couple of the black fairing screws on hand. There is a tube of dielectric grease for when I get a chance to take electrical connectors apart. And being a machine made of aluminum and steel, I keep spraying it with ACF50 or one of the other anti-corrosive sprays.

The FAQ and previous posts have lists of which oil filters and other items can be used in lieu of the Mama Yama parts.

thick gorilla glue to re-attach the black plastic glove box lock thingy which will break as soon as you get a gloved hand near it.

If you do your own TBS, you might want a few of the rubber nipple covers. They tend to go on "walk-about" when you're not looking.

I don't ever loose the 4mm body bolts. It's the thin nylon washers that go between them and painted surfaces. Other than those I think you've got it covered.

You know, whatever you have you won't need so you should be trouble free for a long time.

With this in mind you should go ahead and pick up spare body-work (all), a spare engine assembly, fresh factory forks, rear swingarm, wheels, tires, calipers etc. :)

I don't ever loose the 4mm body bolts. It's the thin nylon washers that go between them and painted surfaces. Other than those I think you've got it covered.
You know, whatever you have you won't need so you should be trouble free for a long time.

With this in mind you should go ahead and pick up spare body-work (all), a spare engine assembly, fresh factory forks, rear swingarm, wheels, tires, calipers etc. :)
Ain't that the truth! :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I had to remove the A? B? C? D? panels the other day to change out the headlight bulbs. I broke the little plastic threaded collar that holds the headlight adjustment cable into the plastic panel. It cost nothing but held up the job putting things togther. I plan to stock one of those.

P/N 3P6-8431U-00-00 @ $2.31

Not exactly the same, but the clear nylon washers from Home Depot, Loew's, Tru-Valu, or any other hardware store will work and cost less than what Yamaha charges. Find them in the racks of drawers with the screws and such.

Where was this post when I needed it back in mid-October? :)

Where was this post when I needed it back in mid-October? :)
I can just see it now....wheatonFJR 2-wheelin' it down the road with a trailer in-tow and a brand new feejer perched atop :biggrinsmiley: :biggrinsmiley:

I'm sorry wheatie, I just couldn't resist!! I am feeling bad fer yer troubles.

BTW - one spare part everyone seems to be missing that definetly fits the "FJR consumable" category - spare underwear!!

Ride safe!

VP

My apologies to all that don't understand my reply above; it's direction was more along a subthread of FJR "road kit" consumables than the original thread of garage spare parts. C'mon, it's Friday....I'm allowed a brain fart every so often aren't I?

VP

Latest posts