FJR corbin seat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the Corbin seat (heated) and Smuggler for my 07'A. When I got the smuggler ther were some deformities with the paint form what appeared to have been packaged a little soon after painting. Corbin was very good on the return and so far have had zero problems.
The seat is very comfortable and the smuggler looks great and is very handy to have the space.
Hey Lake Powell,

Could you post a couple pics of your 07a with the smuggler? How close is the paint match?

THX,

WW

Had a corbin on my 2004 FJR ** Was hard but ok & looked good.Just installed

a Sargent seat & back rest on my 2008 >>>feels/fits & looks good>> P.S. the

Sargent seat is stll adjustable the Corbin is not >>>>>>>>

I have the Corbin heated saddle. Front only. Much more comfortable than stock. Heat is a real plus during winter commuting when the weather is in the teens around Our Nation's Capital. The saddle is lower than stock, which was a discriminator for me. But I did have some problems mounting the saddle and I agree with those who have dismissed Corbin customer service as sub-par. I got nary a reply or return email on many attempted contacts. Once mounted, however, the seat has been superb for short hops or the long haul.

I bought my Corbin in an effort to get me a little closer to the ground. On delivery I relized that it didnt. I spoke with Corbin and they were very cool about customizing the seat to fit my needs. The worked on the seat to bring me forward and down some. All in all I never did get as low as I'd have liked to but the seat is very nice and my experience with Corbin support has been outstanding. I have to agree that the seat is a little hard after a few hundred miles and I'm considering trying a russle as a second seat for long distance trips. I do want to add that the Corbin Smuggler is by far the best and most usefull farkel (all be it rediculously expensive) that I've put on my bike.
smugglerrt.jpg
Rondo777, how difficult or easy is it to take the Smuggler off and put it on, if you want to switch back to the stock seat for a ride?

Also, on Corbins website they don't show any of the Smuggler's with the back pad, was that extra or a custom order?

Last edited by a moderator:
Corbin's are "cookie cutter" seat. Kind of a one size fits all. I had one on my triumph and it really hurt. I highly recommend a seat from Pat at Ridenleather.com He is a small business man who is great to work with. Pat does a comfort foam/gel sytem. He can also put the covering of your choice on the seat. The price.....................................$387 that includes shipping. His site does not go indepth about his seats so just give him a cal..........

Picked up a used Corbin with heat last fall for a killer price. Having used it on a few rides I can say it is more comfortable than the stock seat, for me at least.

That being said, I have sat on Corbins and Russels on a few FJR's. The Russell seemed WAY more comfortable. I originally was going to buy a Russel but got such a good deal on the Corbin I went that route instead. I truly believe the Russell is a better seat, although the Corbin works well and is more comfy than stock.

Bought my '05 with this Corbin on it. I think it's WAY too hard (they prefer "firm"). Lately I've been covering it with an Alaska Leather sheepskin buttpad, and under that, a buttpad-shaped piece of cut out mattress cover. Helps. Some. Pretty sure I'd look for something softer if I were to replace this one.

SS850291.jpg

+1 for don't like the Corbin.

As hard and smooth as polished wood. I'd slide around on it and the back of the pocket was too far back to be of any use.

I had a Corbin seat and backrest (bags, too) mounted on my 2002 Interceptor - https://consilience.typepad.com/photos/mishmash/bike.html

I was very happy with the fit and finish and comfort. (Those are two of my students sitting on the bike.,)

When I bought the Raven last Saturday, I ordered the Yamaha gel seat replacement, which should be in soon. It looks just like the stock seat, and is also adjustable. I just hope the 300 bucks is going to make me happy. I rode today and after about 80 miles my buns started hurting.

(Also ordered the larger windshield, although I'm pretty happy with the stock unit, so far. I'm 6 feet and I find a good comfort zone with the shied raised up about three quarters. Still, when the big one comes in I'll have it mounted and see if I like it better.)

Seem to be two threads going regarding the Corbin seat.

Purely a matter of morphology. Early on, I replaced stock with the Corbin heated seat. Have spents hours and hours at a time in it and it never occurs to me that the seat is there. The seat, once broken in, is also significantly lower than stock (by about 1.25 to 1.5 inches) which was very helpful to me. On the other hand, Corbin's customer service went totally walk about at the time of my purchase; I had a few minor issues with the installation that I eventually resolved, but several tries to get Corbin to contribute to the exercise were ignored.

Very comfortable seat; woeful customer service.

Looks like you have a lot of info on the seat issue. Here is an option for ya, get on the net and order a buttpad from alaska leathers dot com. You can get different colors and it may add enough comfort for you until you figure out what to do about your seat. They are not bad on price. I have one and it's in the 90's here and is very cool. Be safe and watch out for "monkey butt". Later

My recently purchased 06 came with heated Corbins for rider and passenger plus the stock seat. I put 300 miles on last weekend using the Corbin and at the end of the day my butt was oh so sore. It felt like I was sitting on a wooden plank. When I got home I put the stock seat back on and it felt much better. Also, the Corbin seat felt too wide but maybe it was just my imagination. By comparison I put 1600 kilometers on my Triumph Sprint over two days and I felt great using the stock seat. I'll try the Corbin again before I decide if I'll let it go but right now it's a thumbs down.

I don't mind that the Corbin seat is hard - so as to avoid pressure points - but I thought the pan was crudely made and the whole unit unnecessarily heavy. I presently have a Sargeant on order. 3 - 4 week lead time. Figure I'll give them a short this time around.

I don't mind that the Corbin seat is hard - so as to avoid pressure points - but I thought the pan was crudely made and the whole unit unnecessarily heavy. I presently have a Sargeant on order. 3 - 4 week lead time. Figure I'll give them a short this time around.
Hi, I just got an 07 bike, rode it the first time for about 70-75 miles last weekend... I've been riding for about 35-38 years and can't recall a more uncomfortable seat on ANYTHING like this one, I actually have bruises on my inner thighs.... I am interested in the Russell seat source information, if anyone cares to chime in, so I can do some comparing, I have had mixed luck with Corbin in the past on 3 other bikes... I absolutely have got to do something, or this FJR and I aren't going to be getting along..
thanx, Jim

Is the factory seat two part? Will the smuggler fit with the factory seat?

Maybe we who love our Corbin's could also Post a picture of our asses so LDD can compare his ass to our ass and then he'll know if his ass will like the Corbin our not. My ASS Loves MY Corbin.

<----------Speaking of ASSES!!!! :p

That's right SNAKESKIN. Black Snake Upper, braided black welt, and Black Carbon Fiber Sides. 12K miles on it and very comfy...

P1010046.jpg

P1010043.jpg

I've had Corbin seats on my previous two bikes; while an improvement over stock, they were certainly hard and never did "break-in" as I was told they would. I decided to try a Sargent on the FJR and and very happy with it; it is a significant improvement over stock.