FJR for two up

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xdriver

Reaction score
My current bike is an FZ1, which I love. However, for two up riding, I really need something different. How is this bike for two up? Also, the bike I'm looking at is an '04 with 30k on the meter. Is that a lot of miles for a bike like this? I've not looked at the bike in person yet, but what might be some things that I should consider when I view this bike in the next couple days? Thanks.

Both topics have been covered extensively in numerous threads and you'll find them with the search function. Bottom line is that the bike has no problems 2-up and 30K is nothing when there are members with well over 100K.

dont beat the guy up. You type as much as if you would have just anwser him.

Its a great bike. I have an 08, so a little different, but same principles. It an inline 4, basicly a car motor. So if the bike was well maintained it shouldnt be a problem. 2 up is easy, the right hand is the problem. LOL I was on the fence a few months back looking at either a FZ or FJR. I bought the FJR and havent looked back. It is a wolf in sheeps clothing. it is a cruise like bike with more power to kill a few FZ if you want.

Hope it helps

Bob

The bike is great for 2 up. I had an FZ1 and the FJR - got rid of the FZ1. The FJR takes care of all my m/c needs!

Sorry for not checking the search first. Didn't intend to clog your forum with questions that had already been answered. I just wanted to see if there were any new takes on an old subject. Anyway, thanks for the comments and any suggestions that may come from anyone.

Xdriver,

Unfortunately I have a little different opinion of it as a 2-up bike than what's been said...or at least my wife does. The problem is...our previous bike was a BMW K1200LT a true touring bike with all the comforts of your living room sofa.

I have lowered the pass. pegs, added a truck w/backrest, but she is not as comfortable and has been pretty emphatic that she will not take another long trip with me on the bike. Good side of that is that she has her own bike.

As for me...I absolutely LOVE this motorcycle. Not sure if there is anything else I can do to make it more comfortable for her. It will never be an LT, but then I never grinned this big on the LT (even though it did real well on the curves for a nearly 900 lb. bike).

Maybe I could go for a different seat, but I'm not inclined to spend that amount of money and it not make a difference to her. Best thing you can do is take her for a ride on one, if you can, so that she can give you some feedbacik.

Good luck!

Keith

i've had 2 gen1 FZ1's (my favorite bikes). That being said the reason that I bought a FJR is because my wife wanted to ride 2 up some (she has her own bike also). I like the FJR a lot now, but it took a while for me to get used to it compaired to my FZ1.

It's relative. Coming from an FZ1, I imagine the FJR pillion is a veritable Bike-O-Lounger. Coming from a 'Wing or LT, not. My wife and I moved to the FJR from a CBR XX; she thinks she's gone to heaven. The Feej handles the needs of the two of us well. If we're out more than a week, we just take a week's worth of clothes and stop along the way and run a load of laundry. We've outfit it with a soft, expandable tail pack and tank bag and we have all we need (she even packs the hair dryer and curling iron). We routinely run 300-450 mile days (many others do much longer) and are fairly comfortable, though do take frequent breaks. I've done a 540. I've mounted D&D risers and a Corbin (I would do a different seat in retrospect) and it is pretty good. The bike is basically bullet-proof: mine has 48,000 and no problems to speak of. Gobs of power, handles pretty well in the twisties (for a large, 650 lb/ bike) and is easy on the eyes. It has comfort, convenience and a fun factor up there in the 9s. Best SPORT/touring bike I've ever owned.

Good luck.

MrsTwisty likes it..............................the FJR, that is. :glare:

MMDraggingaPegatTheDragon.jpg

We have done many two up trips usually ranging from 300-700 mile days. We have modified the bike with, complete suspension upgrades by GP Suspension, Russell day long seats, the Yamaha top trunk with back rest.

Even after a 700 mile day, we both got off the bike without having sore butts. We ride about as much tight twisties as open highway/interstate. The FJR has plenty of power and stability to cruise all day long two up fully loaded bags at 100 mph. (which we did on I-90 one day through Montana this summer)

We had a 99 ZRX 1100, and could not do more than 100 miles without needing to get off the bike. Now we can do a full tank and only stop because we need fuel.

Hope this helps.

Seriously, the only reason I own an FJR is because it is such a good 2-up rig, and lugging a weeks worth of crap around is about the same as riding 2-up. Otherwise, a lighter, more svelte ST bike would be a better choice.

xdriver,

It can't be compaired to a BMW1200LT, But, It's an outstanding 2-up ride. Smooth as silk.

Every female that has been a passenger on other bikes has jumped on mine and says it feels like riding in a limousine.

Get it! You are going to love it. So will she. You aren't clogging up the forum and it's a valid question.

we did over 7000 miles this summer - two up- much of it multi day w/ all our gear loaded. lots of back roads and twisties...and had no issues. Of course, my wife is 5'1", 115 lbs, so that may make a difference. All in all..a great bike!

Last edited by a moderator:
Does your passenger like the FZ1? Fortunately my wife liked my FZ1 and also likes the FJR a little bit more. Now any pleasure riding I do she'll be with me and our pleasure riding this year has been reaching new boundaries. If your passenger dislikes the FZ1 then you might have to consider a wing.

I doubt you'll ever kill any FZ's that are trying to live but it definitely has ample power. You'll notice a more linear power range and that it feels heavier than the FZ because it is.

I'll let you read up on the mileage thing, but it really depends on how it has been maintained. If it was well maintained I would consider it low mileage.

Good luck with your shopping.

We have done 300-400 miles days with no issues. The GF actually prefers the feej over the bimmer gs for two up. That is not a lot of miles for that bike of that yr. Mine is not even a yr and has over 12k on it, not a hiccup or worry in the world.

Get her a backrest fer sure.

We have done 300-400 miles days with no issues. The GF actually prefers the feej over the bimmer gs for two up. That is not a lot of miles for that bike of that yr. Mine is not even a yr and has over 12k on it, not a hiccup or worry in the world.

Get her a backrest fer sure.