FJR Hot weather riding gear

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minuteman

Reaction score
Well 90 and 100 degrees days are here in So Calif. Glad I dont live in Phoenix 111 degrees today.

Need some suggustions on pants and jackets, xxx large gloves for riding in the Hot weather. I am having a hard time finding xxx large gloves.

Especially protection for my toasty ankles.

Any help will be appreciated. Getting ready for the HOT July ride to Reno.

Thanks, Dan In Yucaipa, Ca.

( PS ) whats a good refreshener for a sweaty helmet.

I like my First Gear Mesh Tex Leather jacket but to be honest, I don't wear it when temps aproach the 100 deg mark unless I'm going for a long freeway ride. I really like my Icon Hooligan gloves and they do come in XXX. I looked just now and it appears they may have been discontinued but I found a place that says they're in stock: Hooligans

There's few on ebay too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got the Olympia "Air Glide II Jacket and Pants, and love them. They come standard with CE Armour

The Liner of both pieces is nice and warm, and waterproof, if you need them. You can wear the jacket and liner like a warm-up suit, and it works really well. I know first hand by just getting back from TN, and 5500' of elevation it gets cold up in those mountains.

Todd

The outfit in my avatar works well. I do find on occasion I need to wrap foil around my shins, but that just adds to the mystique. ;) :D

I like this stuff. First Gear

Look at the bottom for the Mesh Jacket and Pants.

Look around that website at other brands as well.

Check out cycleport's mesh kevlar gear. Not much more expensive than good leathers, but much more flexible in use, and flows a lot of air. I ride in Texas in 95 degree temps, and as long as the bike is moving, I am reasonably comfortable.

Their site is www.motoport.com

Check out cycleport's mesh kevlar gear. Not much more expensive than good leathers, but much more flexible in use, and flows a lot of air. I ride in Texas in 95 degree temps, and as long as the bike is moving, I am reasonably comfortable.
Their site is www.motoport.com
Thanks for the tip their stuff looks like top drawer.

Two more to checkout....

1. www.brosh.com they have a nice hot weather kevlar jacket with armor that you can put in or take out. I have two of these babies....good for hot weather. (Company is in Israel...who knows armor better than the Israeli's)

2. Check out the kevlar long sleeve mesh shirts sold by "Draggin Jeans"

Ron

For these warm temps I recommend a "cooling vest" like the Joe Rocket Sahara vest. You soak it in water and wear it under a mesh jacket. It turns you into a portable swamp cooler and works well.

Then you need a "gatorback" (a water backpack you can fill with ice and water - I like weak diluted lemonade) so you can stay hydrated while you ride. Some LD riders actually carry a container of liquid in a tank bag they can drink from while riding).

Hopefully an LD rider will chime in here. They are the true experts at this sort of thing. :)

For these warm temps I recommend a "cooling vest" like the Joe Rocket Sahara vest. You soak it in water and wear it under a mesh jacket. It turns you into a portable swamp cooler and works well.
Then you need a "gatorback" (a water backpack you can fill with ice and water - I like weak diluted lemonade) so you can stay hydrated while you ride. Some LD riders actually carry a container of liquid in a tank bag they can drink from while riding).

Hopefully an LD rider will chime in here. They are the true experts at this sort of thing. :)
Not necessarily a LD rider though I've done the occasional 700 mile day but I ride dirt which is a lot more physical. Can't comment on the various vests cuz I don't use 'em but I do use a Camelbak filled with ice water. 70 oz will last all day on the road but not in the dirt on a really hot day. With a full face helmet you want to make sure you have the 90 deg. angled end on the drinky hose otherwise it's a real pain to get a drink while riding.

Not necessarily a LD rider though I've done the occasional 700 mile day but I ride dirt which is a lot more physical. Can't comment on the various vests cuz I don't use 'em but I do use a Camelbak filled with ice water. 70 oz will last all day on the road but not in the dirt on a really hot day. With a full face helmet you want to make sure you have the 90 deg. angled end on the drinky hose otherwise it's a real pain to get a drink while riding.
So your saying...snorting cold-cool water is not recommended do to possible brain freeze/ :blink: ....

+1 on the camelback. I use a 50 oz. and it was available in Purdy Blue.

There's another thread about hot weather gear where some folks are discussing the SixSixOne Core Cooler. It's another piece of dirt oriented gear, water vest kinda thing. You might check that out.

I've done a bit of the LD stuff. Never tried the cooling vests, but like the concept. If you're cheap like me, instead of buying the vest, just soak your t-shirt when you stop and put it back on under a mesh jacket. The evaporation really helps. I also wore one of the aerostich evap-o-dannas (https://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Aerostich-Evap-O-Danna-p-16741.html) for the same purpose while riding through AZ and NM in late June, and it worked great. Same principle as all of the above -- soak something and cool off as the water evaporates.

I think all the mesh jackets with armor are more or less equal. Get the one that you think looks good and is comfortable. Mine's a Teknic, but as noted, I don't endorse it over the others.

Hydration is key for safety, so the camelbacks or similar items get a +1 from me. Even better for the highway (tho' not for the dirt) is an arrangement with camping jug like seen at https://www.fjr1300.info/mods/waterbottle.html The custom rack is sweet, but unnecessary. I've seen plenty of folks just set it on a passenger footpeg and bungee it to the bike. I'm eventually going to add a floorboard in place of one passenger peg for just this purpose.

+1 on the camelback. I use a 50 oz. and it was available in Purdy Blue.
There's another thread about hot weather gear where some folks are discussing the SixSixOne Core Cooler. It's another piece of dirt oriented gear, water vest kinda thing. You might check that out.

Hi Jeff. Have you tried that Cooler? They claim it will work for five days on a single "charge".

Any personal experience with it?

Hello there

First post here. I have the Brosh Kool pants and jacket. For me they are perfect. I think the jacket comes with armour and I bought the optional armour for the knees in the pants. The pants have mesh in the back of the calves and the air flows right in. I bought them at cbxman.com. The price was reasonable, delivery was quick and service was courteous. I would also agree that hydration is is paramount as one can get dehydrated before you know it and by the time you realize it you are in for a rough time.

Don

I was riding near Ojai Saturday so I feel your pain. My Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket is great. I need to find mesh pants that fit as well (I'm larger than most mesh is available in). I also have some cheap Tourmaster mesh gloves but I don't feel as good about them in a crash so I only wear 'em at > 95 F. Otherwise my Profi's are okay in lesser heat.

I second the Camelbak suggestion. I sometimes run just the bladder in my tank bag with the mouthpice hanging out. I can snake the mouthpiece up and drink while rolling. Fill it with enough ice in the morning and it is still cold at noon.

I keep the same gear on as I do in the, um, winter here; Bates armored mesh or Joe Rocket Meteor - sans liners. It's a sure fire way to lose those unwanted pounds. Lost 4 lbs. yesterday romping around 166 and Tepusquet Road. Lotsa water.

I think all the mesh jackets with armor are more or less equal. Get the one that you think looks good and is comfortable.
Beg to differ. I went with the one that won't end up fusing to my skin in a high speed get-off, but if comfort and looks are the priority, by all means, suit yourself.