FJR LED Flashing Brake Lights 1157

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRydr

Reaction score
I'm considering buying/installing these LEDs to replace the tail lights. Anyone have experience with these on their FJR?...Would appreciate your review.

These lights are currently advertised on ebay $22 plus shipping:

https://cgi.ebay.com/...sQ5fAccessories

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone have experience with these on their FJR?...Would appreciate your review.
Not those specific generics, but I did a full write-up on name-brand ones. Check my signature for a link.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not a huge financial risk, and if you try them I'd like to read your review (in spite of the big warning that they're "Not Sold to California or Virginia." (Wonder if they wouldn't even take my money and ship them.)

I bought a couple of LED replacement tail bulbs a while back off ebay or somewhere, and they weren't worth using. They got tossed, but they were different from these, I guess. They had a dozen or so LEDs per bulb, and when you braked they "sort of" spun--meaning some went out in a rotating pattern. Since the "spin" was achieved by turning some of the lights OFF, they were actually LESS bright with the brakes activated! These may be different. Plus LEDs have been getting better and better at a rapid rate. Let us know.

I've yet to see a plug-in 1157 LED that's as bright as an incandescent bulb. Conversely, the OEM LEDs from other mfr's are a LOT brighter. Rode with a guy on a Connie 14 and the brakelight was superior. They just use better LEDs and the whole unit is designed to use them (no reflector, for example). If it's the flashing you're after, try a Comagination brakelight flasher. They come in more than one flash rate to comply with different state's laws. Easy install too. About $35 if I recall.

A few years ago, I got a set of the Kissan Tail Blazer brake lights from a Forum member. The flash in a slowing pattern when the brakes are activated. I absolutely love them! When one or both of these eventually burns out, I will not hesitate to buy another set. They are as bright as OEM and work very well.

I supplemented them with this light below my license plate: SouthWest Public Safety DLX3. Ask anyone who has ridden behind me...Especially at night, and they will tell you that these things get their attention. The light was pretty easy to install and works perfectly. So you know...I initally bought two; one for the FJR and one for my KLR. However, the KLR's wiring is so chickenshit that I decided not to mess with it, so I have an extra light just sitting here. If you decide you want a brand new, in the box light, for cheaper than retail, PM me.

I've got the Kissan Tailblazers too and also like them.

I did try two different types of LED brake lights and with each I'd occasionally get an ABS fail light. Replaced them with regular 1157 bulbs and the ABS problem went away. The Tailblazers never caused an ABS error indication.