FJR Lite w/6-speed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yamaha of millington has 2010 black fz1 with all the fairings. the owner put them on after seeing the canadien models

yamaha of millington has 2010 black fz1 with all the fairings. the owner put them on after seeing the canadien models
Though you don't see them much, the full fairing has always been an option for the FZ-1. IIRC, it was $600 for the parts back in '03 when I looked into it for mine. Part of the beauty of the naked bike was the cheap insurance and no plastic to trash if you dropped it though!

Installed the fairings on mine. As comfortable as my FZ1 is, it cannot be compared to the comfort of the FJR. Not even close. I love my FZ1 but I have set it up more for sport than touring(other than the Corbins). 2 up the FZ1 is ok too, it just isn't the FJR!

002-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Installed the fairings on mine. As comfortable as my FZ1 is, it cannot be compared to the comfort of the FJR. Not even close. I love my FZ1 but I have set it up more for sport than touring(other than the Corbins). 2 up the FZ1 is ok too, it just isn't the FJR!
002-1.jpg
Beautiful FZ1 ...and what a handsome pair of bikes.

You really see how different the bikes are from your side-by-side picture.

No kidding! Just look at all that heft on that Gen I! :rolleyes:
I hear ya! If there was a Gen II in there, you wouldn't be able to see the garage, much less the FZ. :rolleyes:
Wowser RadioHowie, you definitely brought out your "A-Game" for this dog pile Friday!
Ya know, Don....I really, REALLY wanna love that FZ1TE, but I've ridden a late model FZ1...and it was pretty gutless below 7 grand. And it's size just doesn't accommodate someone in the 6'4", 270lb range. Monkey/football/copulation comes to mind. But what an ST for a lady! (or Jonas brother :evil: )

No kidding! Just look at all that heft on that Gen I! :rolleyes:
I hear ya! If there was a Gen II in there, you wouldn't be able to see the garage, much less the FZ. :rolleyes:
Wowser RadioHowie, you definitely brought out your "A-Game" for this dog pile Friday!
Ya know, Don....I really, REALLY wanna love that FZ1TE, but I've ridden a late model FZ1...and it was pretty gutless below 7 grand. And it's size just doesn't accommodate someone in the 6'4", 270lb range. Monkey/football/copulation comes to mind. But what an ST for a lady! (or Jonas brother :evil: )
6'4" and 270lbs............the FZ might feel a bit smallish for that size I suppose. I will have to disagree with the "gutless below 7 grand" statement though(comparing these two). My FZ1 will smoke my FJR.

6'4" and 270lbs............the FZ might feel a bit smallish for that size I suppose. I will have to disagree with the "gutless below 7 grand" statement though(comparing these two). My FZ1 will smoke my FJR.
Not if you keep the revs below 9 grand it won't. And if you shift it like you would an FJR, the big ol' girl will leave it for dead, eat it for lunch, and not even bother to spit out the bones. :p

Not if you keep the revs below 9 grand it won't. And if you shift it like you would an FJR, the big ol' girl will leave it for dead, eat it for lunch, and not even bother to spit out the bones. :p
Why would you shift it like the FJR??? It's got a different power band and with the 6-speed, that just doesn't work. It's stupid fun to toss the FZ around hard in tight twisties where the FJR still does well, but is noticeable for it's extra heft and slower transitions.

The FZ-1TE is a great bike for smaller riders or folks that only take the occasional longer trip and want more SPORT on a day to day basis. Heck, 'Ol JB should have one for his commutes instead of the big Feej. He never goes anywhere except work and home and can't even manage to get out of state before he's all tuckered out on a weekend. The FZ would be perfect!

Why would you shift it like the FJR???
I can't think of any way to equalize the two in respect to one's ability to keep up with the other. Trying to balance an equation between apples and oranges, I guess.

Since I'm a CBA rider like dcarver, I hardly ever bounce the tach off the peg. Only time I see 7 grand on the Feej is if I'm running from the law. :evil: and remember driving the Fizzie without hammering the tach, it felt very soft.

I can't think of any way to equalize the two in respect to one's ability to keep up with the other. Trying to balance an equation between apples and oranges, I guess.

Since I'm a CBA rider like dcarver, I hardly ever bounce the tach off the peg. Only time I see 7 grand on the Feej is if I'm running from the law. :evil: and remember driving the Fizzie without hammering the tach, it felt very soft.
Having ridden a FZ-1 while riding with a group of FJR riders, it's much different shift patterns. Yes, the FZ has the R-1 engine, tuned for more mid range, but it's stilll peaky compared to the FJR and you row through the gears constantly when going through a small town as you lose and gain speed.

And RH, you need to have more fun. Spend some time at.... say 9k on the FJR for say... a couple of hours. I recommend Nevada, around Ely. And practice your double down shift passes in FL. :evil: Warps time and space.

It isn't soft in the lower rpm ranges when spockets are changed believe me. Whole different animal.

Having ridden a FZ-1 while riding with a group of FJR riders, it's much different shift patterns. Yes, the FZ has the R-1 engine, tuned for more mid range, but it's stilll peaky compared to the FJR and you row through the gears constantly when going through a small town as you lose and gain speed.

And RH, you need to have more fun. Spend some time at.... say 9k on the FJR for say... a couple of hours. I recommend Nevada, around Ely. And practice your double down shift passes in FL. :evil: Warps time and space.
Hard to do that around here....double-downshift, hit the loud handle, and your liable to run up the ass-end of some damn slow Oregonian tourist. :p

It isn't soft in the lower rpm ranges when spockets are changed believe me. Whole different animal.
Sure, but who the hell wants to be spinning at 12k in 6th at 40mph? :blum:

Hard to do that around here....double-downshift, hit the loud handle, and your liable to run up the ass-end of some damn slow Oregonian tourist. :p
Blue hair or NO hair (can't see a head over the seat)? :glare: They are just as bad here.

I own a 08 FZ1 & Dynoed @152 RWHP, [ you don't have to spend a fortune to achieve this] & I can tell you my 08 FJR with aftermarket slipons,PC111, K&N filter, etc etc with almost the same money spent, is quick, but no match for the FZ1, particularly performance & handling wise. Two entirely different bikes. RH speaking out of his ass AGAIN.

I own a 08 FZ1 & Dynoed @152 RWHP, [ you don't have to spend a fortune to achieve this] & I can tell you my 08 FJR with aftermarket slipons,PC111, K&N filter, etc etc with almost the same money spent, is quick, but no match for the FZ1, particularly performance & handling wise. Two entirely different bikes. RH speaking out of his ass AGAIN.

Wait a minute. Are you saying a lighter bike with more horsepower is faster? That doesn't make any sense. :crazy:

:yahoo:

I don't own an FZ1, but one has always been on my "wish list". But I can tell you that there are a lot of bikes with less HP than the FZ1 that can spank the FJR in any riding arena that is technical in nature.

I'm a big fan of the Man-strom (dl-1000) and my heavily mod'd strom is way faster that the fatty FJR on just about everything but smooth straight lines. Bumps and/or turns and the FJR fades fast in the rearview mirror. For those who don't believe me, bring your pink slip.

So, I can just imagine that an FZ1, with it's substantially more power, less weight ...could blister the FJR's ass in anything technical in nature.

(Which makes me want one even more)

The above is really the catalyst behind *MY* angst at Mama Yama and their direction with the FJR. Instead of making the FJR lighter and quicker -they've gone the opposite direction, to the tune of an aprox avaerage of well over 10lbs of weight per year. It's hard to continue to love a girl that puts on 13pounds every year, year after year ...and no performance gains in other areas to off-set it.

HP to weight ratios should be a fundamental metric to anyone who looks at their bike from a performance standpoint. This is where the FZ1 gives you smiles ...and where the FJR has a proven history of going in the wrong direction. sad, very sad.