FJR Lite w/6-speed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't own an FZ1, but one has always been on my "wish list". But I can tell you that there are a lot of bikes with less HP than the FZ1 that can spank the FJR in any riding arena that is technical in nature.
I'm a big fan of the Man-strom (dl-1000) and my heavily mod'd strom is way faster that the fatty FJR on just about everything but smooth straight lines. Bumps and/or turns and the FJR fades fast in the rearview mirror. For those who don't believe me, bring your pink slip.

So, I can just imagine that an FZ1, with it's substantially more power, less weight ...could blister the FJR's ass in anything technical in nature.

(Which makes me want one even more)

The above is really the catalyst behind *MY* angst at Mama Yama and their direction with the FJR. Instead of making the FJR lighter and quicker -they've gone the opposite direction, to the tune of an aprox avaerage of well over 10lbs of weight per year. It's hard to continue to love a girl that puts on 13pounds every year, year after year ...and no performance gains in other areas to off-set it.

HP to weight ratios should be a fundamental metric to anyone who looks at their bike from a performance standpoint. This is where the FZ1 gives you smiles ...and where the FJR has a proven history of going in the wrong direction. sad, very sad.

Well, I took off on the FJR and put on around 200 miles this morning. Straight line roads and some with a lot of curves(There are no chicken strips on the tires at all). :) Boy, this thing is a bit top heavy in comparison.

I came home and had a nice lunch with the wife, cut the grass, then jumped on the FZ1 and took off.

Ran around 175 miles this afternoon and I have this to say:

Anyone on here who might think their FJR will keep up with me on the FZ1 should think again. It just isn't going to happen.

I love this FJR for certain reasons as I do the FZ1. But they are two completely different bikes and thats the way I like it!

The FZ1 will never be as comfortable and smooth or lend itself so easily to 2 up riding and the FJR will never be able to compete as a sportbike as easily as the FZ1.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone on here who might think their FJR will keep up with me on the FZ1 should think again. It just isn't going to happen.I love this FJR for certain reasons as I do the FZ1. But they are two completely different bikes and thats the way I like it!

The FZ1 will never be as comfortable and smooth or lend itself so easily to 2 up riding and the FJR will never be able to compete as a sportbike as easily as the FZ1.
And thus the point of this thread. Some of our FJR clan are always jumping in with how they want less weight, more power, 6-speed, etc. Trying to wish the FJR into a different bike. No bike is every riders holy grail. For some of our brethren, the FZ-1 is better suited to their desires and possibly even needs.

I don't own an FZ1, but one has always been on my "wish list". But I can tell you that there are a lot of bikes with less HP than the FZ1 that can spank the FJR in any riding arena that is technical in nature.
I'm a big fan of the Man-strom (dl-1000) and my heavily mod'd strom is way faster that the fatty FJR on just about everything but smooth straight lines. Bumps and/or turns and the FJR fades fast in the rearview mirror. For those who don't believe me, bring your pink slip.

So, I can just imagine that an FZ1, with it's substantially more power, less weight ...could blister the FJR's ass in anything technical in nature.

(Which makes me want one even more)

The above is really the catalyst behind *MY* angst at Mama Yama and their direction with the FJR. Instead of making the FJR lighter and quicker -they've gone the opposite direction, to the tune of an aprox avaerage of well over 10lbs of weight per year. It's hard to continue to love a girl that puts on 13pounds every year, year after year ...and no performance gains in other areas to off-set it.

HP to weight ratios should be a fundamental metric to anyone who looks at their bike from a performance standpoint. This is where the FZ1 gives you smiles ...and where the FJR has a proven history of going in the wrong direction. sad, very sad.

Well, I took off on the FJR and put on around 200 miles this morning. Straight line roads and some with a lot of curves(There are no chicken strips on the tires at all). :) Boy, this thing is a bit top heavy in comparison.

I came home and had a nice lunch with the wife, cut the grass, then jumped on the FZ1 and took off.

Ran around 175 miles this afternoon and I have this to say:

Anyone on here who might think their FJR will keep up with me on the FZ1 should think again. It just isn't going to happen.

I love this FJR for certain reasons as I do the FZ1. But they are two completely different bikes and thats the way I like it!

With aftermarket performance mods & top notch after market suspension, the FJR is no slouch. I come from a racing background & the guys I ride with [late model sportsbikes & no racing background] are simply amazed by the FJRs capabilities. I can hang with them, but It's slightly hard work.

On the other hand, riding the FZ1 [modded with top suspension] with the same group of guys is effortless, & It absolutely gives them the S%*#s when I'm in the mood, disappearing into the distance is simply a twist of the wrist away. A very well set up & ridden FZ1 is an awsome sleeper.

Last edited by a moderator: