FJR or Triumph Trophy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was posted on the forum a short while ago

We are confident you'll choose correctly
smile.png

OP mentions that he had 1" bar risers on his prior FJR. I had those too, and that was not enough rise or set-back for me (6'2" 32" inseam) so I swapped those risers for a HeliBars Bridge (Riser), which is usable on any FJR from 2006 to current (including the ES).

Big difference in body position, forward lean angle, and comfort. They are adjustable by a couple of inches by pivoting them forward / backward. I have them all the way forward and they are near perfect for me. If I pulled them all the way back I would be sitting dead straight up, and that is with a Russell seat lifting me up an inch or so.

The FJR can be converted to have touring bike ergonomics with the right farkles. Then you'll have the ergos you want with the reliability you need. ;)

This was posted on the forum a short while ago
We are confident you'll choose correctly
smile.png
Well if reliability is the only measure, the Concours, ST1300 and FJR1300 are pretty close.

No one would ever buy BMW.

The trouble is, people don't buy like this. They usually buy the motorcycle they want to buy, then set about justifying the decision later. I hope Triumph get the detail sorted out, because they sure have an attractive package ... and it's a Triumph :D

My pops traded his 2009 BMW RT that left him stranded on a trip (broken drive shaft) for a 2013 or 14 Trophy.

I think he's almost put 20k on it. Yes, they certainly got a bad batch of batteries, his was dead in 3 days, his replacement has been fine.

There's still a software issue that incorrectly reports 'low battery' issues at startup, which doesn't let you do things like raise the windshield or use the radio until things settle down. I suspect that to be fixed at some point.

He's had a couple other nit-picky things but overall it's been a great bike for him.

But he's already admitted if it becomes problematic he's going to turn it into an FJR. It fits him better (out of the box) than an FJR does though.

We are also somewhat fortunate to have a decent dealer not to far away.

My 2006 has not been problem free, certainly not electrically. It has left me with no headlights, and a failing charging system, but it ran, and has never stranded me. (knocking on wood).

FWIW, my '15 ES has the factory touring windshield and so did my last '07 FJR. I can't say if it's taller or if the angle is different, but I can say, when I get home from a ride, my faceshield is clear from bugs while the screen is splatterd.
The touring windshield is about 4" taller. I have one. I like it also.

This topic came up at SEO the past week with Lisa (LCB). She really wants to migrate to a TT, actually she has her heart already in love with it.

I told her to "go for it!", and, I gave her my usual speech... you know the one; "Life is short, do what you want and while you still can". Hopefully if she does get her coveted TT, she will still come out and play with us misfits! :)

OP said he mainly wants a comfy, sit up straight riding position... made me think of a comfy, windproof BMW 1200RT (????)
My friend has a R1200RT and he is desperate to change it as soon as he can afford to.............for a Trophy!

This topic came up at SEO the past week with Lisa (LCB). She really wants to migrate to a TT, actually she has her heart already in love with it.
I told her to "go for it!", and, I gave her my usual speech... you know the one; "Life is short, do what you want and while you still can". Hopefully if she does get her coveted TT, she will still come out and play with us misfits!
smile.png
Just to set the record straight - I do want a Trophy but I have no intention of replacing the FJR with one. I tend to keep bikes, not trade them in - I like variety and each has it's own special place in my heart. The list of bikes I want is very long and if/when the $$ becomes available, a Truimph Street Triple R is actually the next one on the list.

Have no fear, I plan on riding with this group of misfits as long as y'all will have me!

I've owned both bikes. Sold the FJR (2006) for a 2013 trophy. These are very different motorcycles. I wont comment on reliability during this rant since i've never had problems with either bike. Its worth noting that yamaha has a better track record in this department, but that dosent mean you wont run into some issues with either of these offerings. I absolutely loved my FJR and sold it with 62,000 miles on it. With only 4,000 trouble free miles on the Trophy, i have to say that the trophy is hands down my favorite. Please note: I like my sport touring bikes weighted towards the touring side. thats exactly what you get with the triumph. Less freight train like power with the trophy, but more than enough usable power in the range where the majority of us ride most of the time. I find the handling characteristics of the trophy much better than the fjr (which is really surprising). Comfort is also way better. But remember i'm leaning toward the touring side of the house.

If you want a "sport bike" like sport tourer, the FJR is really hard to beat. I've owned at ST1300 and sold it for the Fjr. The power unleashed from that FJR motorcycle is "over the top". If you really spend that much time in "over the top ville", you'll love that FJR. I had to do quite of bit of tweaking to my FJR to orient it a bit more towards the touring realm. But since we're really not sure what your after, thats a question that only you can answer. You may also want to hold off for a look at the possibility of honda revamping there old school ST1300. its way over time for an update and honda may surprise us and finally put that new 1200 v4 motor they've got to good use.

I simply love the look and feel of the triumph. The bike feels like a million bucks. The build quality is over the top and you can see why this bike will directly compete with the BMW RT.

I would have no problem whatsoever returning to an FJR if push came to shove. The triumph and the FJR are the only two i would consider given the other offerings. But i would miss what my triumph brings to the table each and every day if i went back.

That all being said, this things starts spending more time in the shop than on the road, and my tune could change real quick.

Greygoose

Last edited by a moderator: