FJR Prices ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have always found kbb to be about a grand high compared to the local market even though they are supposed to be market sensitive. When I bought my fjr I mentioned to the dealer that resale on the fjr was not that great and he got his nose out of joint. The st1300 is better in resale and that may have to do with it being a honda, the 3 yr warranty, or whatever. Buy the bike to ride and do not look back. The purchase of a motorcycle is generally not a rational, pluses over minuses type of descision. you buy one because you want it and you think you can afford it. If you ride it then the cost of purchase is not that important. If it seats there and you need to sell it then you may have a problem.

I have always found kbb to be about a grand high compared to the local market even though they are supposed to be market sensitive. When I bought my fjr I mentioned to the dealer that resale on the fjr was not that great and he got his nose out of joint. The st1300 is better in resale and that may have to do with it being a honda, the 3 yr warranty, or whatever. Buy the bike to ride and do not look back. The purchase of a motorcycle is generally not a rational, pluses over minuses type of descision. you buy one because you want it and you think you can afford it. If you ride it then the cost of purchase is not that important. If it seats there and you need to sell it then you may have a problem.
I checked the KBB this afternoon. Difficult to do for the FJR, but here's what it read.

The Trade in value for a 2006 FJR is about $7500. That's 5Gs less than the new selling MSRP price just a year ago. That pretty much sucks, eh? And the retail price is around $10,600 for the same/same bike. Pretty good profit for the dealer who takes it in trade and then sells it for a $3100 profit. That's prolly better than the profit on a NEW bike.

This is what I'm speaking about. Over 3 grand difference is not a realistic in my opinion.

Not sure what you mean by all wet? There's new '07s on E-bay for $11.5. NOS '06s in Illinois and Ohio for $9995+set-up. So, I'm not really too sure what you mean by soft? I'm shopping for 2 of em, one for me and one for the wife and these bikes are moving fast.

Buying a bike brand new, putting it up for sale with only 2500 or so miles on it you're gonna lose some money, eh? I don't know. I have target fixation anyway... :dribble:

Can you tell me where those 06's are in Illinois and Ohio? I'd sure like one at those prices....

As you noted there are many other bikes such as the ST available. I feel most of the sellers of these machines don't mind waiting weeks, or even longer to sell their machines. So, they set their prices and wait for their bike to sell. Yes, it is true you will find some really great deals on an ST. I believe these great deals are due to owners wanting to sell their bike in a hurry, or just not wanting to put forth the effort.
However, with the FJR most sellers want out of the bike quickly. Not because it is a bad bike, but because a personal situations where they need the funds. Yes, there are those owners who are in a hurry to sell the bike in a hurry to get the funds to go buy another bike.
this is probably because the FJR draws the type of person who's always in a hurry. they want the bike NOW (and bitched about the PDP). they want the next bike NOW (and don't want to sit on a bike long while trying to sell it). the instant-gratification type of person who swaps bikes often and (in a way) impulsively. that means lower prices to turn the bike more quickly. as far as those who need cash in a hurry, that might also be related to the personality type that is swayed by magazine reviews, instant gratification, and other such winds of the day; needing cash quickly to cover the losses they are hit with because of the frequent change of bikes, etc.

those with ST1300's are never in a hurry or they'd have bought a different bike. :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator: