FJR Replacement Battery

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EXPDSGT

Reaction score
Just purchased a Sealed Gel FJR replacement battery for $65..95 plus tax.

I threw the box away but the part number is YT14-B4 part # 49-2131

I bought it at Long Beach Motor Sports 3291 Cherry Long Beach. 562-427-2779

The Stock replacement I priced went from $129.99 to $144.95

Just purchased a Sealed Gel FJR replacement battery for $65..95 plus tax. I threw the box away but the part number is YT14-B4 part # 49-2131

Good luck with that.

Did it happen to say "Made in China" anywhere on it?

Well researched and documented:

Westco = Most bang for the buck. Yuasa, may be the best but way more bucks.

Just purchased a Sealed Gel FJR replacement battery for $65..95 plus tax. I threw the box away but the part number is YT14-B4 part # 49-2131

Good luck with that.

Did it happen to say "Made in China" anywhere on it?

Well researched and documented:

:rolleyes: what is NOT made in China these days? I remember a big ruckus a few years back in Australia when someone in the media reported that the Australian $1 coin was made in China or some other similar place :blink:

I remember watching a 70's vintage Cop movie once where they were knocking the Japanese made police walkie talkies in the same way, not that I'm comparing Jap quality ever to China...

A gel cell battery will probably be just fine, but the factory supplied battery is not gel, it is Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM). I believe the Westco replacement for the FJR is AGM. I replaced mine while on the road with one I got from Batteries Plus or something like that. I have no idea how good it is, but it is also AGM. I don't remember for sure but I think it cost me a little over $80.

Last edited by a moderator:
This battery is guarnteed for one year so I will take my chances.

It is very heavy and starts the bike just fine --- I guess we will see down the road

This battery is guarnteed for one year so I will take my chances.
It is very heavy and starts the bike just fine --- I guess we will see down the road
I will bet that for that price it is also a AGM. Just because a battery is sealed and maintenance free many people think it is a gel cell. there are actually very few true gell cell's in the motorcycle industry. I believe that BMW has used them, but not many others. The glass matt batteries use fiberglass matts between the lead plates that are saturated with electrolite which prevents the liquid from needing maintenance. They are great, don't spill or vent and are inexpencive to produce. VT

When you say best do you mean it can take more of a load or last longer?
Yes. ;)

Yuasa's are generally very highly regarded in most motorcycle communities. For example, on the Honda VFR, which is known to be hard on batteries and really hard on their Regulator / Rectifiers, many experienced riders will not put any battery other than Yuasa in. The feeling is they last longer and will not fail (as often), pulling a damaging load from the >$100 R/R. But they are quite proud of them ($$$).

In my personal experience and opinion, the Westco's are the equal of the Yuasa in quality at a slightly more reasonable price. They are aftermarket. Westco is not the OE battery in any motorcycles that I am aware of. I really think that you can't go wrong with one especially on an FJR.

Let me also put a plug in for our forum friend, Jeff at Bike Effects. He will sell you a Westco at a discounted price, plus special forum discount. I have no affiliation with Jeff other than being an extremely satisfied customer.

I had to replace the original battery when I bought my FJR in May. I couldn't get a Westco battery up here, and the replacement from Yamaha was nearly 200 bucks! I ended up getting an aftermarket one from the Yamaha dealer. I'd have to look it up, but I believe its a 'Champion' gel - for $80.

Our roads up here are SHIT (5 of the top top 20 worst roads in Canada are in Sudbury).. no problems with construction, and its reliably started my bike below 0C, and FJR battery is notoriously undersized.

Pays your money, takes your chances.

Latest posts