FJR review / comparo

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daddysbike

Reaction score
06fjr1300a_cherry_3_7f90cfea.jpg

I got my ’07 FJR 1300 from the great folks at D&H cycles in Cullman,

AL. Very much worth the drive, I would have flown in and ridden home had it been a longer trip. I can’t express enough how pleased I am with the crew at D&H cycles. I was there from 8am until 1pm and was never left alone. There was always somebody there to answer any ?’s or to just plain talk to you about the bike and how they do things. They have a wall full of letters from happy owners and I can see why. They don’t b.s. you or try to sell you something you don’t need. Before I left Nick in service spent an hour going over every possible item on the FJR from how to adjust the suspension to how to change the air filter, very helpful. They also installed my Techmount handlebar stem mount for my Garmin Zumo GPS and my battery tender and Gerbings wires for me at no extra cost!

I took the FJR for a little 15 mile ride before loading onto the trailer for the 250 mile ride home and I knew I bought the best SPORTtourer. I had just sold my ’04 VFR with 10,000 miles on it and my 2nd 1800 Goldwing. I had put 22,000 miles on both Goldwings. I also owned a ’04 ST1300 for 10k miles and both Vstroms, CBR600, ZRX1200 and a few others. I’ve also rode a BMW R1150RT a few times and test rode a R1200RT before buying the FJR just to be certain I didn’t want one (I don’t). The RT’s while fine touring machines I’m sure are just plain boring appliances to me like the ST1300. The boxer engines are just uninspiring. The ST1300 has a much better engine to me than the RT but its just a bland machine overall not to mention hot, heavy and ugly from the rear. I also don’t like the Jetson mobile sound from those funny looking triangular pipes. I liked riding the ST1300 with the windscreen all the way down. I don’t like looking through a windscreen and also don’t like the way it or any other sporttoruing bike looks when the screen is raised, like a barn door. I realllllllly like the looks of the FJR and was hoping the airflow would be good with the screen all the way down, I couldn’t be happier! The air hits my chest and keeps my head in mostly clean air free of buffet/headshake/noise etc. Since I wear Gerbings when cold I don’t think I’ll ever need to raise it and may even buy a smaller dark tinted screen mostly for looks but also because I noticed that as I lower the screen from full up to full down that it gets smoother and quieter. I’m happy with it as is but think it may even get quieter/smoother and look even better with a smaller/dark tinted screen.

I like the adjustable handlebars which go rotate back and forth, I left them at the standard setting and am happy with them there. I also like the height adjustable seat and started out with it in the higher position, it looks like it goes up or down about an inch although I’m sure that’s not exact. I started with it higher because I have just had hip surgery for torn cartilage and figured the extra height would allow for a little more relaxed position and I figured if I started with the seat lower then raised it I may feel like I was sitting on the bike and not in it. Coming off the VFR which I really liked, the FJR is much more comfortable with lower pegs, better seat, higher bars but still in a forward sporty position. Lots of FJR owners complain of buzzy bars and do lots of stuff to remedy including adding Throttlemeister cruise control with heavier bar end weights. I went ahead and ordered them before I got the bike and haven’t installed them. I’ll be selling the Throttlemeister’s as I don’t think I’ll need cruiser control (even after coming off the wing) and don’t think the bars are too buzzy (it’s a bike not a Lexus!). I also like that the high and low beam are individually adjustable, now I have a low beam that is useful – that is to say that you can see far enough ahead to see any objects that may be in the road. The high beam is awesome!

I also really like the digital gear indicator. The mirrors are useful, you can see behind you.

The heart of the bike, that 1300cc 140hp 90lbs torque engine I love. It pulls/accelerates very hard from the start and has plenty of get up and go at 4000-6000 rpms max torque is 7000, max hp is 8000 redline is 9000 and really no need to go over 6000-7000. Before buying the FJR I rode a ZX14 for a couple hrs in the mtns and 4 lane. After that ride I really wanted to get rid of my VFR (I just did!) The Vtec never really bothered my on the VFR until lately and really after that ZX14 ride. The Vtec kicks in at 7k and I just got sick of the world revolving around 7k, it felt and I treated it like a rev limiter which its not but your always thinking about 7000rpms. After riding the ZX14 and experiencing that incredible power and just using the entire powerband and not really thinking or feeling anything except pull/acceleration throught the rev range I knew it was time for the VFR to go. Also I got sick of having to crank it up over 7k all the time just to get to some power. I wanted more comfort and hardbags though so I knew it was time for a FJR with the improved heat/airflow issue and valve ticking resolved. I love the sound of the FJR and am really enjoying its powerband also, just open the throttle anywhere and it goes. There is no replacement for displacement and you can really feel the power over the 800cc VFR. I also like the real world tuning of the engine and transmission and not having to shift all the time or crank it up to 12000 rpm to get power. It handles very well too. The suspension is still set to the factory standard which is fine for most riding/riders but I do a lot of backroad/twisty mtn riding and little interstate so I’ll tighten up the front fork a little, flick the button on the rear shock from soft to hard and adjust the damping a few clicks harder. I’m very impressed with the stock seat, its better than any other stock seat I’ve had including the wings. I always have to add a Corbin or Sargent for all my bikes (I prefer the Sargent) and put a wingsoft on the wing. Its too early to tell, I’ve just put 250 miles on the FJR in 24 hrs but the stock may be a keeper, if not I’ll go with a Sargent. There is nothing that I don’t like about the FJR and that’s unusual. True I just got it but even after a day or two even a few minutes I can tell if something is not quite right be it the seat or bar/peg reach or bad airflow, engine heat, heavy handling, inadequate power.

The standard ABS is nice to have as well. I almost forgot I had it, its that good. I’ve never had a bike with ABS and am glad to have it. I can honestly say that I am more than thrilled with the FJR, and I’ve owned a lot of bikes the last few years. I’ve wanted one since they came out but stayed away because of the heat and to a lesser extent valve ticking issue. As soon as they solved those issues in ’06 and I had my surgery I knew it was time for one. I honestly believe (and hope) that I’m done buying and selling 1-2 bikes/yr in fact the FJR my only bike now and I don’t plan on getting a 2nd. Having only paid 11,700 out the door new at D&H cycles and pay tax in GA so 12,500 total I could not be happier. I just can’t believe you can get a new FJR for less than a ST or RT and I like it better than either, it just looks better, sounds better and is way more fun for me. The VFR and CBR600 may be more fickable in the twisties but the FJR is all day comfortable, has a lot more to offer and is still very much a blast to ride in the twisties. Oh yeah $550/yr for full coverage from progressive is a nice bonus.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
What a great write up! You guys with the new bikes make it hard to stay in love with my 05. Looks like you made the right choice, enjoy the ridin'

Great report. I am flying there Thursday to pick mine up from D&H. Hope everything goes as well as yours did. Riding mine back about 650 miles. Congratulations on your new ride.

Hey Steve,

Enjoyed the story on your purchase and first impressions of your new baby. Where in North Georgia do you live? I'm moving to Canton in May/June from Kennesaw area. See you in the mountains...........Jesse

Hey Steve,

Enjoyed the story on your purchase and first impressions of your new baby. Where in North Georgia do you live? I'm moving to Canton in May/June from Kennesaw area. See you in the mountains...........Jesse

Right now we live in Winder, GA and I work 60 miles north in Toccoa so good backroad riding to work then get out early sometimes and ride the mtns. I also worked for 2 yrs in Blairsville and rode 60/129/180 everyday!!

We plan to move to Clarksville soon so I should be right here in the mtns.

Give me a call or email [email protected] or just pm me here when you get here and we'll go ride!!

Steve

:yahoo: :yahoo:

I think it's funny to read these reviews. Every time someone gets an FJR, they are so elated they have to post about how great the bike is. I did the same thing when I got my 04, and it still makes me feel that way.

Congrats on the 07, enjoy it!

Nice review. I enjoyed reading it. I couldnt help to take notice how much your insurance is. I have mine through State Farm and its only $325 per year with full coverage. (Im 33 yrs old with a speeding ticket under my belt)

Nice write up. I love my '07 and can't believe I waited so long to get it. It's great to see so many people with the same reaction. The power and ride are the perfect blend for me (tons of power, great handling, and still comfortable). I also get tons of great comments on the paint job. I wasn't sure about the color until I saw it in the light. That metallic red flake is incredible. I have yet to make too many adjustments to the bike. I want to get enough miles on it first. So far, I have about 500 miles on it.

Congratulations on your new ride!

I have yet to make too many adjustments to the bike. I want to get enough miles on it first. So far, I have about 500 miles on it.
She's not an 'IT", she's a lady (with just enough tramp in her to be fun)! :D

:yahoo:

I have yet to make too many adjustments to the bike. I want to get enough miles on it first. So far, I have about 500 miles on it.
She's not an 'IT", she's a lady (with just enough tramp in her to be fun)! :D
I love my '06, too. I have always figured I had the right bike by this little thing I think about after every ride, long or short. Been doing this little ritual for over 40 years. Thanks for allowing me another safe trip and I really do love this bike. It justs reaffims my appreciation for everything.

I also came from a VFR and made the move to an 06 FJR and never looked back. The FJR is a much better all around bike. After some time you might want to rethink the seat. You will get monkey but in the heat of summer. Sargent may not be the best option out there but do some more reading.

Enjoy.

Steve,

Great story, enjoyed every line. Congrats on your new cherry, perhaps we can ride together soon. I live 20 miles south of downtown in McDonough, close to the Atlanta racetrack. I also love my silver bullet 2003 model. Welcome, and Take it easy...

Berde

Steve

Great write-up. It's interesting that you talk about the power differences between the VFR800 and the FJR, and the fact that the FJR is all-day comfortable. Clearly you think the FJR is worth the extra money as well. Given that you've just come from a VFR, I'd be interested in your opinion.

I currently have an 05 Electra Glide Ultra Classic. I'd kind of like to keep this, because the missus likes the comfy seat and wind protection. If I was to buy a VFR as a second bike, do you think it'd be comfortable enough for rides up to 200 - 300 miles? My alternative is to sell the Ultra and buy a new FJR as my only bike. Keep the wife sort of happy and give me something more sporty.

I've owned a BMW R1200RT and a Yamaha FZ1, so I'm reasonably familiar with sport tourers. I've also ridden the FJR but I've never ridden a VFR though.

Steve
Great write-up. It's interesting that you talk about the power differences between the VFR800 and the FJR, and the fact that the FJR is all-day comfortable. Clearly you think the FJR is worth the extra money as well. Given that you've just come from a VFR, I'd be interested in your opinion.

I currently have an 05 Electra Glide Ultra Classic. I'd kind of like to keep this, because the missus likes the comfy seat and wind protection. If I was to buy a VFR as a second bike, do you think it'd be comfortable enough for rides up to 200 - 300 miles? My alternative is to sell the Ultra and buy a new FJR as my only bike. Keep the wife sort of happy and give me something more sporty.

I've owned a BMW R1200RT and a Yamaha FZ1, so I'm reasonably familiar with sport tourers. I've also ridden the FJR but I've never ridden a VFR though.
Yes, I do think you be comfortable for 200-300 miles rides. If you're keeping the Ultra the VFR would be a great 2nd solo bike in fact the guy who bought my VFR rides a Ultra. He's 70 and wanted something sporty! I had a Sargent seat and Helibars which really help. I've wanted a FJR since they came out and mostly bought the wing because of bad back/hip for which I had surgery for last August. I was mostly riding the VFR since surgery, mostly too fast in the twisties and decided to sell both bikes and get the FJR which I knew would still be fun in the twisties but more comfortable/enjoyable than the VFR for the less entertaining roads. If you want hardbags for your VFR check the color first. When I bought my '04 I was told Honda discontinued the silver bags (I wanted red anyway) not sure if they make the asphalt either. Lots of good infor at www.vfrdiscussion.com

Thanks Steve

You make some really interesting points (and it's great to see a fellow rider at the spritely age of 70 wanting something "sporty"!). I also have a neck injury which is managable when I do enough of the right things (stretching, exercise) and not too much of the wrong things (sitting at a computer). I can't always get the balance exactly right! I haven't ridden a VFR, although I have sat on them. I have ridden the BMW K1200S, which feels a lot like the VFR's ergos to me, if maybe a little more spacious. I've had a lot of people who have had extensive experience with both tell me that VFRs and K12S are very similar. If that's the case, I should be ok.

By the way, the bike I'm buying has the Sargent seat, and I will be investing in a set of Helibars as soon as I get it, so your words of advice go well heeded. Good luck with your new FJR - I'm sure you'll love it. If I was to have just one bike, that would be the one I would have.

Cheers

Paul

db -- great write-up, thanks for taking the time to share..

Sorry IT is taken and I made a whole post of why my 06 is IT.
see my sig line

Fencer -- i had no idea "IT" was a gender neutral indicator or statement. I always thought it was some techno Information Technology acronym thing or something.

And be careful with your scoot in gender neutral -- with no load you can cause issues with overrevving the motor, or if you leave it in gender neutral, it can cause the kick-stand to fold up :)