FJR Seat- Got to go!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still ride with the stocker, but it's painful after several hours in the saddle even with the sheepskin on it. I had a Rick Mayer on my 04, but it never really got comfortable even after sending it back twice for adjustments. If I do another custom saddle it will have to be a ride in so they can get it right. Master Yoda works as long as I remember to keep doing it, which I usually don't after a few minutes. I'll slowly morph back into the slumped riding position and not notice till my wrists and butt start hurting again.

GP

I tiik advantage of the Russell group buy and so far I LOVE IT but I'll want to put more miles on before Im entirely convinced. The stock seat wasnt to bad for me but I used an airhawk with and that made a HUGE difference with the stocker. I like that I was more able to move around on the seat with the stocker as apposed to the Russell. It seems a good trade though for DAY LONG COMFORT!

I just got my '13 last week. Saturday I took it out for my first ride. It ended up being a 680 mile day. This is one of the best seats I've even had on a motorcycle. My other bikes all needed modifications or seat replacements. I did have my sheepskin on it for the whole day. The last 100 miles is when I started squirming a bit but was still better than even my Wing. Of course this is just me and your mileage will vary. It's not often that I ride more than 700 miles per day so I think this seat will be a keeper.

I had a Corbin gunfighter on a previous bike and it was indeed hard as a rock but for whatever reason it worked for my needs at the time. The stock seat on the FJR isn't terrible because I've experienced much worse - like my stock Bandit seat.

I have heard many great things about the Russell seat. I might have to look into this. (new FJR owner here)

The brown truck delivered my new Russell seat yesterday exactly eight weeks after placing my order. Unfortunately, pavement is two miles away and the gravel roads that lead to that pavement don't have much gravel on them now and the thawing snow has turned them into a sea of mud. For now I'm limited to testing the seat by sitting on it and not leaving the garage while pretending I'm riding off to the sweepers of southwest Wisconsin. The Russell has made my pretend riding a lot more comfortable, but it sure is one ugly sucker when looking at it before mounting the FJR.

Last edited by a moderator:
I sit on a Rick Mayer seat and I am as happy as can be.

After reading post after post about seat mods I decided to make an appointment with Rick and get it done right the first time. I figured if I brought my FJR and my butt end to his shop this would happen and it did.

The next morning I set out for my ride back to Idaho, after 600 miles I was more than just pleased.

If at all possible I would recommend doing a ride in, it allowed me to sit on the FJR and tell him what I wanted out of the new seat. He asked some looked at my riding position and asked some questions and the finished product was great. A ride in could make all the difference in the world.

BTW Rick does not charge extra for a ride in, he does not charge extra for working on a previously modified seat, and he will do a one time modification at no charge.

I have to agree with the small contingent of Corbin lovers, the Corbin works perfectly for me. I'm 6'-0", 225 lbs, 32" inseam. The stocker was fair for about an hour and that was it. I went with the heated versions on the front and back. A little pricey but I love the ability to ride all year long no matter what the temps. The only complaint i have is on the passenger seat. When I hit the brakes hard my wife slides into me. One of these days I'll send it back to Corbin to get it "dished out".

The reason I've never tried the Corbin is that they don't have a money back total satisfaction warranty. 12 years ago I bought a Sargent for my ZRX1200 because of the warranty and they even recalled the seat because a few of the seat pans broke. l went with the Russell this time because of it's reputation for all day comfort and it's backed by a total satisfaction warranty.

A friend of mine bought an upgraded Yamaha branded saddle for his Roadstar. (Corbin made the saddle for Yamaha.) My friend and his wife hated the saddle and the Yamaha dealer refunded their money. If he had bought the saddle from Corbin it would have been my friend's tough luck and he would have lost his money. He ended up buying a Mustang saddle only after making sure they had a money back warranty.