FJR Specific Tank Bag - Yamaha Accessories

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wlfman

Reaction score
This bag - https://www.yamahapartsandaccessories.com/product/details/fjr-touring-tank-bag?b=Street+Motorcycle&d=28|28

I found it at Bike Bandit for $156

Ordered. Got it yesterday. And I'm returning it today.

The mounting system SUCKS. I actually like the bag. One large main compartment, map pocket, 2 side pockets, 1 rear pocket with pen holders, one pocket the width and length of bag and about 1 inch thick between the map and main. "Purse" strap, carry handle, shoulder strap, reflective, rain cover and also comes with a small square bag and a strip of velcro for gps (see instruction sheet below).

I did take photos before sending back.

This is the mounting pad:

2014-03-06093714_zps2d84eadb.jpg

Front mounting pad attachment. Straps wrap around the frame.

2014-03-06093426_zps60894a92.jpg

Rear mounting pad attachment. Metal Hooks go to the gas tank (i put electrical tape on tank to protect from scratches)

2014-03-06093403_zps19155f79.jpg

Bag on mounting pad

2014-03-06093359_zpsdc079c9b.jpg

Reflective

2014-03-06093350_zpse65a7271.jpg

Whats included

2014-03-06093848_zps7eae65e6.jpg

Instruction sheet

2014-03-06094028_zps5c3f1e55.jpg

2014-03-06094013_zps366d456c.jpg

You really want that huge rubber pad on your tank causing scratches? I for one don't, And having to remove that thing when I'm not using the tank bag which is quite often is not something I want to have to do. I'll get one of the bags that uses the gas tank ring for mounting.

Magnetic rules!!!
That's what I have now. Been using a Rapid Transit Recon 19 for bout 6 years now. But I was looking to replace it and had been looking at the Givi/Bags Connection bags that attach via the gas tank ring. Then saw a post with this bag and thought it attached that way as well.

Sorry Wlfman that I sent you down the wrong path. I did not know what the "mounting base" was. Like most things, it sounded great in the brochure.

After seeing your pics (thanks), I am not sure if I want to try this tank bag. I would still have to put down the 3M film, which I was trying to avoid. Maybe I will just stick with my Canadian magnetic version?

I got this tank bag and plan to keep it. I think it's convenient and really easy to get on and off, takes about 10 seconds to unclip the bag and maybe 1 minute to remove the mount. I had the old style FJR mag tank bag and it was too tall, this one's just enough shorter to be perfect. Nice bag with many compartments On the '13 model with its matt black trim areas, leaving the mount on with the bag off doesn't even look bad, imho. It has a cf look to it. Oh well, different strokes...

Ya, I'm with 20valves. I've got the same one. The only time I use it is when I'm traveling. Works well (though it could use some pockets/holders inside). Holds the bag nice and secure.

I glued on some extra backing under the buckles just to be safe.

Ya, I'm with 20valves. I've got the same one. The only time I use it is when I'm traveling. Works well (though it could use some pockets/holders inside). Holds the bag nice and secure.
Can you please comment on the scratch potential of this design? If it does not move at all and is very secure, then even if dirt does get underneath, it should not be a problem.

Any issues with getting the base wet - like an all day ride in the rain? Do you have to take the base off everynight - like when on a road trip - and its parked outside (dew or rain)?

Thanks

Can you please comment on the scratch potential of this design? If it does not move at all and is very secure, then even if dirt does get underneath, it should not be a problem.

Any issues with getting the base wet - like an all day ride in the rain? Do you have to take the base off everynight - like when on a road trip - and its parked outside (dew or rain)?

Thanks
They come with some glued on covers on the underside of the buckles. Mine came off (like the glue never set properly). So I removed them and just siliconed some fabric over top of them.

I leave mine on when traveling. Rain or shine. No problems at all.