FJR Top Box ( Impressed) Givi is good stuff but

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VTXEDFJR

Reaction score
I'm really impressed with the FJR top box. The bike looks awesome with it on, ( Mounting bracket on back order ) I just layed in on the back rack to see what it looked like and WOW :yahoo: . I have alway's had Givi products, great stuff but I don't think it looked good on the FJR so I took a chance and am so glad I did. Some forum members said it looked cheap or was cheap or something to that fact, but just goes to show what you read on the forums isn't alway's true :rolleyes: . If your thinking of getting a top box I promise you won't be dissapointed with the factory box. I hope I didn't open a can of worms here.

:yahoo: I love this bike. To bad I can't ride it :dribble: <_< :blink: :angry2: :angry:

Steve

Can of worms opened and gushing out...

IMHO~I prefer the Givi46 as it seemed more rounded than the OEM box. It also has a cooler reflective tail assembly. The only drawback to the G46 is that I have to remove the original tail assy. and install the Givi mount every time as the Givi tail mount a butt ugly without the box on it.

Neverhteless, the FJR looks good with any box on it...doesn't it!

Glad you like it. I too can't wait for the white crap to go away.

I always have the box on, so who cares what the empty rack looks like?

Givi E52, color-matched.

I preferred the wider, lower look to the Yamaha box.

Pics I used in the "I've been everywhere" thread:

capitolcj2.jpg

appforestvy9.jpg

I too can't wait for the white crap to go away.

We get something like that: it comes out of sea gulls!

Last edited by a moderator:
The factory FJR trunk has two things wrong with it

1. It looks GAY

2. There is too much wasted space

The useful volume is about 75% of the outside dimensions

Glad you're happy with the OEM box. I like my Givi, it's round, aerodynamic. I probably get about 10mpg more with it on. Remeber 100% of everything in this forum is true.

This thread will deteriorate into another downward spiral into the abyss. The point isn't: What is the best. But rather: What is the best for you.

If you own and like the OEM topcase, way cool.

If you own and like the Givi, also way cool.

Its not tit-for-tat, they each serve a function though they arrive at their concluded function from different directions. Spacially, they are very different.

I ride with owners who have both types. Nobody complains, nobody spends time when we stop to "compare", AFAIK nobody has not been welcome because of the topcase they chose to use. Its a non-issue unless someone is just bored and wishes to stir up the mud to check the color of it. One assumes you did your homework and chose the best set-up for you. Neither is wrong...they're just different.

One brand is more vertical in nature and must be packed accordingly. Once you've made your decision on which topcase to fit, the discussion really should be over. If you're happy, we're happy.

If you own a Yami top box, then I cannot recommend these highly enough. I've had mine for almost two years and they are in excellent condition, stick well and look great. Lights up the back of the bike like Fourth of July at night.

I have the side bag decals and the top box set.

FJR reflective decal sets

I'm really impressed with the FJR top box. The bike looks awesome with it on, ( Mounting bracket on back order )...........
Kind of hard to tell how it looks when you don't yet have it mounted. The "back-ordered bracket" plague has been with us since the first '03s arrived and is one of the main reasons many originally went with Givi...they wanted to actually take a trip and needed to use a topcase.

Some forum members said it looked cheap or was cheap or something to that fact, but just goes to show what you read on the forums isn't alway's true :rolleyes: .
That's funny, I've never read that anyone said it looked "cheap", thought it is possible (with as many members who forget to plug in their "thinking cap farkle" before posting). There have been other reasons posted, but if you've searched topcase site:fjrforum.com; yamaha topcase site:fjrforum.com; and givi topcase site:fjrforum.com then read up on topcases you know all the arguments, both pro and con.

If your thinking of getting a top box I promise you won't be dissapointed with the factory box. I hope I didn't open a can of worms here.
Since you've never actually USED the factory topcase, how can you GUARANTEE anyone wouldn't be disappointed?
Can of worms....I'm just priming the pump and waiting for tomorrow....It's Thursday and Friday's comin'!

Nobody complains, nobody spends time when we stop to "compare", AFAIK nobody has not been welcome because of the topcase they chose to use. Its a non-issue unless someone is just bored and wishes to stir up the mud to check the color of it. One assumes you did your homework and chose the best set-up for you. Neither is wrong...they're just different.
One brand is more vertical in nature and must be packed accordingly. Once you've made your decision on which topcase to fit, the discussion really should be over.
Well, now, if we feel that way about it, let me be the first to complain...

If you're happy, we're happy.
Everyone...Group Hug

Dog pile Friday anyone?

I've been couped up too long :dribble:

Oh, and I meant that other white crap; you know, that fluffy white crap?

Pre-emptively (if that's a word), have a wonderful weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
As always, beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

I have the Yamaha box and I like the way it looks. I think the angular shape goes well with the diffrent lines on the fairing and the shape is intresting.

The Givi is rounder and does not fit the other shapes on the bike as well.

This is of course my opinion.

If you need a case that holds ALOT of crap, the Givi rocks. Hold two helmets. But, it looks like a Givi case, and always will. You will see them on other bikes too, and say, "Look! A Givi top case is on that BMW.."and "Oh, there is one on that ST.."

But you will only see the Yamaha top case on a FJR...and I like that exclusive aspect.

KM

I bought the E52 as well, for two reasons. It holds more, and the OEM box was $1150.00 tax included up here in the Great White North. :angry:

The Givi was about $650.00 with brake light and backrest, mounting rack and adapter plate.

I don't know.....
I like my GiviE52.....

-photo-

To each his/her own I suppose.....

WW
I didn't know you could get the e52 with a color-matched top for the '07, thought they were only available for the v46. Now I have to go hunt down part numbers and prices :p

Jazzzzz,

Correct... You have to have it painted.. Garauld here on the forum does a very nice job painting... At a very nice price... He did mine.

WW

2. There is too much wasted spaceThe useful volume is about 75% of the outside dimensions
I don't know whatca been smokin, but I'll have one?
Open up the OEM trunk and take a look. The inner case is like 2" smaller on each side than the outer shell.

Aesthetics may come down to personal taste, but there is no denying that there is a lot less useable space in the OEM trunk.

Got to admit that the color matched one that Wicked Webby had on his bike is very cool. If I would of saw that picture beforeI bought mine I jyst might of considered bying another Givi.

Steve

Latest posts