FJR vs. Kaw ZRX1200R?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The FJR is a bit porky next to it.
Bigtime....I've owned alot of motorcycles and my 08 FJR wins the porkiest category. I'm trying hard to like my FJR but IMO the riding position sucks bad. It's more forward than a standard, and upright compared to a sportbike. So it's right in the middle and for me it's uncomfortable. I'm going to keep trying to get used to it but eventually go heli.

I'm also trying hard to find a way to part with my 03 ZRX. I bought a S4R to replace it as my 'sportbike' but the Rex is just a great bike that doesn't beg for a ton of modifications. The only thing I've done to mine is a sargent seat. The FJR OTOH is bleeding me dry....ugh.

The biggest drawback to the ZRX as a ST is wind protection and no centerstand for chain maintenance.

Too funny the only mod on my Rex is the same seat HAHA!!! Have to disagree with you on the FJR though. I really like the riding position works for me real well. Got a set of risers and made it a LOT better. Other than that I don't see any reason to do a lot more mods ( gay name farkles) to it that being the FJR. Adding stuff just for adding its sake I just don't get it.

Your last sentence is the biggest reason I'm considering letting the Rex go. Centerstand isn't an issue as I have a cycle lift to do that not a big deal at all. Hope I don't miss it too bad after it's gone. The one thing I do dislike about the FJR is the heat issue. It's not unbearable but just annoying should have been thought out better for sure. Other than that it's a great ride. Have to admit when it's cool the heat thing isn't all that bad though.

had my '05 fjr for a couple months now. added bar risers and aftermarket windshield but still find the riding position less comfortable than it ought to be. engine power is OK, had a couple rides where I wasn't setting the pace and got numb hands but this hasn't been a problem at the speeds I run myself.

Kept the ZRX; it's just too much fun to sell. as others have noted I'm definitely putting more miles on the FJR.

A good friend of mine has a zrex with a bunch of performance goodies on it. He and I have been in several little drag races and its about dead even. He tends to get away from me in the twisties a little but the power to ratio is about the same. Both of us have been riding for many years and we like to go fast.

After I bought the FJR, and pretty much left the ZRX parked, I developed a philosophy about the two bikes, based on my ownership.
Prettty much it boiled down to this interpretation:

The FJR is a ZRX in a tuxedo.

Same rowdy personality underneath, but dressed up to go out on the town.
You're a dork.
How could someone riding a bike dressed up to go out on the town be a "dork"

A bike in a tuxedo would make someone a "Little Lord Font le Roy"?

Actually I think the ZRX is a true "ST Crotch Rocket"

The FJR is a true "ST Crothc Rocket for old folks"

The difference, If it has factory bags, it's built for older Long Distance riders ie: old folks.

If it doesn't have factory bags, it's built for Squids!

Examples

Honda XX Black Bird-----------------------ST1300

Yamaha FZ1-----------------------------------FJR

Suzuki Hayabusa----------------------------Katana

Kaw. ZX1400-------------------------------Connie 14

Last edited by a moderator: