FJR Wheelie's?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It sounds like you guys are doing it all wrong. When I want to wheelie, I just take my hand off the grip, reach back, and smack the saddle bag. Works just like smacking a horse's flank...

I went all the way over on a different bike back when I was younger......................it hurt. Me and the bike. I really don't wheelie anymore. Just the odd float in first gear.

The wheelies are cool. But, a stoppie with the old lady and top box would just about make me fall over.

i have pulled up the front end of mine twice in the last couple of weeks :eek:
who says an AE won't wheelie??? :D

I bet it is the altitude Zilla. I live at 5550 ft. here in Littleton and mine won't wheelie either. But I was in Revelstoke,Canada last week, at 1460 ft. and it would wheelie pretty well. My friends Blackbirds were spinning all the time! Fun stuff!

Ken.

In my younger days pulling it up was done daily and the bike was 475 lbs. Five blocks from my house was a nice hill and when the traffic was just right boom brought it up right before the top and just rode it down but wait that was when i was in my late teens and had balls . now its 30 years later and have very small balls and have tryed a couple of times without the clutch maybe 3 inches ha ,ha ,ha, maybe some day i will hit the clutch and do 4 blocks .

I wouldn't worry too much about the fork seals on the FJR from a few wheelies. My FJR has just about 80,000 miles now and the road where I hit the pavement after the 3 miles of gravel from my house looks a bit like a runway about 1/3 to 1/2 mile from the turn. It sees a 1st, 2nd, usually 3rd gear wheelie every time I leave.

Now that I'm out the extended warranty (which I didn't even need to use except for the throttle position sensor a couple weeks before the recall) I suppose I can post a bit about the abuse this bike has taken. I bought a set of fork seals a few years ago thinking I'd need them, not yet. There is hardly a ride when that bike hasn't had the front wheel off the ground through at least a couple gears. Living in Colorado at 7400 ft it definitely took a bit more effort, but it was still plenty capable. Now here at about 1000 ft of elevation it's a lot easier.

I have been reluctant to try to pop a wheelie with the FJR. Now I have done it without actually trying. However, I was wondering, how many of us actually yank the front end off the ground regularly. The guys I ride with says it should be easy. My contention is that with the shaft drive, you don't get the same "lift". Please give me your thoughts...
Ray

Hey Ray

I ride wheelies all the time. It took me some time to be able to do it well. Now I can ride a good one and it is alot of fun. You have to be careful that you do not let off the gas to fast because the front end will come down real hard. peractice make perfect!

No doubt true... but the learning curve might be pretty expensive, eh?
Gotta ease into it. Don't plan on lofting the front wheel first try and carrying it for miles on end.

FWIW; fork seals do not blow in the following machines:

kx250

cr125

zx7

zx636

cb700

kz1100

fz1

cbr929

cb919

speed triple

cbr600f4i

400sm

xr650

fjr

I also wheelie this big ole bike every chance I get, my son calls me the wheelie king but he's only 23, 40K and original seals and fork oil....prolly need to change that oil though...its easier standin up through 2nd and 3rd...only rumor ya understand, dont want to give my cardiologist any ammo...those guys have knives !

Blessed and still stupid,

Bobby

I agree,

My 07A loves to stand up and sing...

I can grab 2nd (from 1st) but I haven't been able to ride it out through 3rd (yet)....

Guess it gives me sumthin to play around with in the future.

WW

I wouldn't worry too much about the fork seals on the FJR from a few wheelies. My FJR has just about 80,000 miles now and the road where I hit the pavement after the 3 miles of gravel from my house looks a bit like a runway about 1/3 to 1/2 mile from the turn. It sees a 1st, 2nd, usually 3rd gear wheelie every time I leave. Now that I'm out the extended warranty (which I didn't even need to use except for the throttle position sensor a couple weeks before the recall) I suppose I can post a bit about the abuse this bike has taken. I bought a set of fork seals a few years ago thinking I'd need them, not yet. There is hardly a ride when that bike hasn't had the front wheel off the ground through at least a couple gears. Living in Colorado at 7400 ft it definitely took a bit more effort, but it was still plenty capable. Now here at about 1000 ft of elevation it's a lot easier.

Thanks for the head's up on the seals. Coming originally from offroad/enduro, it's hard for me to keep any front wheel ONGATT (on the ground all the time).

SR

By the way, especially in GA make sure your friendly LEO doesn't observe you doing this because it's now considered a reckless driving ticket, which in GA is one step below a DUI.

By the way, especially in GA make sure your friendly LEO doesn't observe you doing this because it's now considered a reckless driving ticket, which in GA is one step below a DUI.
Similar in Ontaro where they passed a 'stunting' law last summer. Immediate vehicle impoundment and license suspension, upto $10,000 fine. 50km/h over = immediate stunting charge and if you think about it, 50/h over is easy to do passing a vehicle on the hwy.

Their are reports out of southern Ontario of cops just getting a hate on for somebody on a bike. Standing on the pegs = stunting. Riding one handed = stunting. Looking like a squid = stunting.

I bet it is the altitude Zilla. I live at 5550 ft. here in Littleton and mine won't wheelie either. But I was in Revelstoke,Canada last week, at 1460 ft. and it would wheelie pretty well. My friends Blackbirds were spinning all the time! Fun stuff!
Ken.
I guess I didn't think of that. This bike has never been below about 5500-6000 feet. One of these days I'll have to ride it to the beach and see what happens. I like the mountians though. We have GREAT roads.

My AE comes up just fine and quite often. My 250lbs has prevented starting in 2nd so far but 1st-3rd on the AE is no issue. Only twice have I accidentally slammed it down out of revs but w/o damage. I've started doing stand ups in the last couple of weeks and that technique leads me to believe I should be able to initiate a 2nd gear wheelie on the AE but I just havn't gotten around to it yet.

As long as I sit it down under power and not out of revs or coming off the throttle to much I don't see any issue with playing on the back wheel except for the LEO factor.