FJR1300 Power Strip Installation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JT Pedersen

Reaction score
FJR1300 Power Strip Installation

Gen-II Update

By JT Pedersen ([email protected]), March 2012

Intro

Over the years I have used different wiring approaches when adding electrical upgrades to

my machines. Typically, they were wired direct to the battery or to an auxiliary circuit in

the bike’s fuse box if one was available. And, of course, there was always the obligatory

Battery Tender pigtail tucked away somewhere for the charger as well.

This approach is fine if you only plan on adding one or two electrical accessories. As you

add more than one or two, it becomes hard to avoid having wiring that starts looking

messy. Plus, with multiple wires tapping your battery terminals, seasonal battery

maintenance becomes a chore. Perhaps most important, roadside troubleshooting

becomes more difficult.

One of the benefits of owning a Yamaha FJR1300 is that it has a strong following with

many popular solutions having already been developed. One of the first sites I discovered

doing research is Warchild’s FJRTech.com. Warchild (Dave Wilson) contributed significantly

to the FJR community in its early years, particularly the 2003/2004 models.

Don’t Reinvent; Update

Rather than reinvent the wheel, the general approach I decided to follow is Warchild’s 12V

Power Strip installation. However, like many of the How-To FJR articles on the web, they

were written when the FJR was new and are based on the FJR “Gen-I.”

If you’re new to the FJR community, what you need to know is that after its (US)

introduction in 2003, some significant changes were made in 2006, command nly referred

to as “Gen-II.” A sample of changes involve the electrical system (uprated alternator,

relocated fuse boxes), revised air ducting, suspension changes (longer swing arm), and a

different instrument panel. (Gen 1/2 Model Comparison Matrix).

The Gen-2 changes impact all FJR1300 models model years 2006 onward (as of this

writing, 02/2012). Changes to dash design, airflow ducting, and fuse box relocation

mandate an update to Warchild’s original piece. Consider this an update document for

Gen-2 owners.

Retrieve full document: https://jtpedersen.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/FJR1300-Gen-2-Power-Strip-Update.pdf