FJR1300AE "The Bike for people that can't drive a real motorcycle"

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stoodo

Reaction score
"The FJR1300AE, The Bike for people that can't drive a real motorcycle"

That was the comment made to me at work indirectly the other day by a friendly character that has been riding "real" motorcycles for less than a year.

Why are people so naive? :)

That was the comment made to me at work indirectly the other day by a friendly character that has been riding "real" motorcycles for less than a year.

Actually, if you ask me it takes more skill to ride the AE at low speeds, obviously the turkey has never had the chance to ride one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's because most people, generally speaking, are stupid.

What other reason could there be?

Me personally, I wouldn't really want an AE.

But to claim that it isn't a "real motorcycle" is just damn dumb.

It's a real motorcycle in ever since of the word.

So, okay, the rider doesn't really control the clutch in the traditional sense. Big whup.

Bike still kicks some serious ass.

A smart guy once told me that there are three rules.

(1) People are stupid

(2) Noone's in charge anymore (it's all committees and corporations)

(3) See rule 1

The problem is stupid people are not smart enough to keep their opinions to themselves.

These comments are entirely relative to my situation and do not apply to my riding buddies out there :rolleyes:

There is no doubt that the AE is far more difficult to maneuver at low speed than any of my other bikes some of which include a maxi scooter and a sport bike.

It is hard to trust the timing of the clutch engagement and takes a ton of practice before you start to feel comfortable. Before I G2ed the throttle just tiny movement of the throttle would result in a lot of power to the transmission which even at very low speeds was engaged with no possibility of modulating the input as you can with a hand clutch.

Ease of riding in order.

Burgman 650, MG V11 Cafe Sport, and finally the AE being by far the most difficult. (AE vs my 05, no contest the 05 was a doddle compared to the AE)

This is NOT a bike for beginners in any sense of the word and if you have trouble riding a bicycle this should not be you first bike. Buy a Vespa :p

For those who are interested in a positive for the AE, it is great on the open road.

I think it's because most people, generally speaking, are stupid.
What other reason could there be?

Me personally, I wouldn't really want an AE.

But to claim that it isn't a "real motorcycle" is just damn dumb.

It's a real motorcycle in ever since of the word.

So, okay, the rider doesn't really control the clutch in the traditional sense. Big whup.

Bike still kicks some serious ass.
Warchild hit the nail on the head...People are just stupid and many, if not most, are looking for ways to feel "superior" to someone else. I guess we never grow up!

JMHO

LC

So, does that mean a car with an automatic transmission is not a real car???
Bite your tongue scoot. The AE is YCCSed !!! :D I know you know all this but added the rest for the great unwashed :) Hell it ain't even the same as the Enzo transmission wise.

What it is NOT!

It is not an automatic, CVT, or like any “pushbutton” or “tiptronic” transmission found in most passenger cars, ATVs, scooters or snowmobiles. All of these systems use some form of torque converter or centrifugal clutch. The all-new FJR1300AE is a true manual transmission that borrows its technology right from Formula 1 cars and exotic sports cars where only the absolute best will do. The YCC-S system will not shift by itself and the rider still must complete every shift when accelerating or coming to a stop just like any other manual transmission.

Who is it for?

The YCC-S system is not for the lazy or uninspired, rather the system was designed to eliminate the fatigue of operating the clutch, and put more emphasis on the enjoyment of the ride, particularly on long trips or in traffic. The system responds quickly to the riders commands and is designed to be unobtrusive. Although it is not for everyone, the YCC-S system is state of the art and groundbreaking and provides a riding experience like no other motorcycle on the market.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that the AE has an automatic transmission. I was just trying to make the point that just because the technology is a bit different, doesn't mean it takes away from the riding experience. Personally, I get a thrill out of the ride, not the act of depressing the clutch handle.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that the AE has an automatic transmission. I was just trying to make the point that just because the technology is a bit different, doesn't mean it takes away from the riding experience. Personally, I get a thrill out of the ride, not the act of depressing the clutch handle.
It is hard to know what to call the AE transmission! <_<

Yes I know what you mean. The clutch lever sucks when you have to pull it in and hold it 2000 times in a 2 hour traffic jam in all states except in CA where they take care of these problems with lane splitting!

Simple reply.... it's not an "old fashioned clutch with slow shifting"

It has racecar shifting... as in dragsters and some other stuff....

He ain't been watching the Speed channel latey...<BG>

How dat? :yahoo:

mary

The comment was made by someone who WAS ignorant. He became stupid when he opened his mouth.

Yamaha carries some of the blame for this mindset. They have done a very poor job of marketing the AE. Hell, they've only done a fair job of marketing the FJR itself.

TTT has more experience with various brands and types of motorcycles than anyone else I have ever met in my life. I for one, vote to campaign Yamaha to hire him as a consulting test pilot for the AE development program.

Perhaps we can track down the verbalizing idiot and get Yamaha to offer him a nice little test ride on an AE through California traffic? That should do the trick.

:)

The comment was made by someone who WAS ignorant. He became stupid when he opened his mouth.
Yamaha carries some of the blame for this mindset. They have done a very poor job of marketing the AE. Hell, they've only done a fair job of marketing the FJR itself.

TTT has more experience with various brands and types of motorcycles than anyone else I have ever met in my life. I for one, vote to campaign Yamaha to hire him as a consulting test pilot for the AE development program.

Perhaps we can track down the verbalizing idiot and get Yamaha to offer him a nice little test ride on an AE through California traffic? That should do the trick.

:)
You are too kind jeff!

I have talked at length with Yamaha company tech and sales people as well as the yamaha co. mechanics that visit dealers. And dealers thenselves both sales and service!

I try to tell them that the problems are real and they are shooting themselves in the foot not to at least address the problem they have got with many of the 06 A and more importantly with the AE models.

Nothing nada not a thing from them.

So easy to fix and yet they continue to ignore.

If you look at the trends with Mamayama they make wholesale changes in the bike every so often. Sometimes they get it right as on the 06 solving the heat problem and sometimes they **** up a really good thing and put a throttle cam and map that would be more appropriate to a YZ450F !

I look at the quote and laughed. So he must be one of those people that can drive a real motorcycle?

If he could ride a real motorcycle I'd be more impressed. Anybody who can ride a contraption with two wheels, a front, and rear brake gets my appreciation.

I look at the quote and laughed. So he must be one of those people that can drive a real motorcycle?

If he could ride a real motorcycle I'd be more impressed. Anybody who can ride a contraption with two wheels, a front, and rear brake gets my appreciation.
I myself like the idea of the AE, but don't know if I will own one even though when it first appeared I thought I would buy one.

Even my daughter, 14 and who rides dirt bikes knows how much more coordinated you have to be to control a clutch, front and rear brakes and control the throttle while negotiating hill, bumps and turns. Hell to her driving a car is like running the remote control on the TV.