FJR1300AE "The Bike for people that can't drive a real motorcycle"

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't begin to tell you how many times my AE has attracted the curiosity of other motorcycle riders and owners or various bikes, including BMW, Harley, Triumph and all of the crotch rockets. One of my friends rides a Honda CBR1000 and loves his bike and was a little vocal about the YCC-S and ill-informed. As time went on, he kept teasing me about the YCC-S shifting, heated grips, adjustable windshield and my Widder vest & gloves.

Mr. Winter finally showed and cooled things down quite a bit and he began to complain about the wind and cold. I just laughed at him and told him he was gay and he needed to man up! I laughed at him as I put on my Widder's and rode away flicking my index finger!

Gotta luv the AE ! :yahoo:

Yes I know what you mean. The clutch lever sucks when you have to pull it in and hold it 2000 times in a 2 hour traffic jam in all states except in CA where they take care of these problems with lane splitting!
We don't have two-hour traffic jams in Montana. Come to think of it, we don't have traffic jams at all. Of course, we don't ride much in the winter either...

I consider myself a "rider" in many senses of the word! Sure as heck not a "driver" of motorcycles!! , been riding continously since the early 1950s.

Hitchhiking on part of what WC wrote, I also would not want another AE. Some of you on this forum know that I have an 05 and also an AE. I bought the AE primarily to test out the concept of some racecars to a street motorcycle. IMHO, the short fall of the current configuration of the AE is the "near loss" of clutch slippage in very tight turn situations or riding down steep gravel or sand grades. If Yamaha could come up with an option to clutch lever or not then they might have a more acceptable system. For me, I have enjoyed riding every single bike that I was fortunate enough to ride, but as in all of life some are just not as good as the others.

Live and Let Live

"The FJR1300AE, The Bike for people that can't drive a real motorcycle"
Jealousy is an ugly emotion! Make sure to wave and smile while you pass his ass!

"Yamaha carries some of the blame for this mindset. They have done a very poor job of marketing the AE. Hell, they've only done a fair job of marketing the FJR itself."
I think THIS BOARD does that job better than anyone around! Besides, with supply being the way it is, better marketing for the FJR would quickly become a disaster for all of us! I don't know about you, but I would rather not pay $5000 markup for my bike! Anyone remember the Dodge Viper or even the PT Cruiser when it first came out? Too much marketing + not enough supply = dealer markup!

What it is NOT!It is not an automatic, CVT, or like any “pushbutton” or “tiptronic” transmission found in most passenger cars, ATVs, scooters or snowmobiles. All of these systems use some form of torque converter or centrifugal clutch. The all-new FJR1300AE is a true manual transmission that borrows its technology right from Formula 1 cars and exotic sports cars where only the absolute best will do. The YCC-S system will not shift by itself and the rider still must complete every shift when accelerating or coming to a stop just like any other manual transmission.

Just to pick nits.....

Understand that the FJR AE is still a dog style motorcycle transmission with a normal clutch. All that has been done is replace the clutch lever and manual actuation with a motor driven servo that actuates the clutch based on control algorithms from the PCM. Shifting is still accomplished (mechanically) the same way as a normal FJR....by rotating a shift drum that moves the dogs from one gear to another with the engine power being cut momentarily to allow the change. In the case of the AE the shift drum is rotated by an electric solenoid controlled by the ECM not the normal shift lever.

Granted, none of the automotive applications mentioned have this specific combination of clutch and dog style, sequential gearbox.

But....not all of the automotive based "paddle shifted" or "manu-matics" have a torque converter nor are many of them related to traditional automotive automatic transmissions.

There are few, if any, dog style motorcycle transmissions in passenger cars because those typically require sequential shifting and do not allow skip shifts...i..e....you have to shift 1-2-3-4-5 and 5-4-3-2-1. You cannot skip gears. This is OK for motorcycles and pure road race cars but it not very practical for most passenger cars.

Most of the automotive varients that are not just manually operated automatics are conventional manual automotive (syncronized) gear boxes with a conventional clutch that has electronically controlled actuators (very close to the same style of "automation" of the gearbox that the FJR uses. The other types that show up in the more expensive exotic cars are a dual shaft/dual clutch transmission that allow selecting two gears mechanically and then coupling that specific shaft with the correct clutch disc. That is totally not like an FJR and it doesn't use a torque converter, either.

Some vehicle lines use both. Ferrari uses a four speed "automatic" with manual controls in one car and a dual shaft, dual clutch manual setup in another model so you have to look closely at what technology is being used.

Saying the FJR setup is like an F1 car technology is a real stretch. Same idea I guess but different implementation. An FJR AE is more like the power shifter setups that the bike drag racers have used for 20 years or more....i.e...a dog style transmission with an air operated actuator to move the shift lever just as it cuts power to the engine to allow the dogs to disengage and reengage. F1 cars are using dual and triple shaft manual transmissions that allow the rapid shift times without the dog style disengagement/reingagement.

The type of race cars used in CART/Champ car and Indy/IRL cars use the sequential dog style transmissions similar to motorcycles with manual control instead of electronics or paddles because the rules require no automatic shifting. The champ cars use an ignition interruptor to allow "clutchless" upshifting where the drive still has to manually move the lever but the engine is unloaded "automatically" to allow the shift without lifting.

You can accomplish much of the FJR AE type of shifting arrangement by just clicking the shift lever as you blip the throttle for a shift without using the clutch. Same idea and basically the same technology. Just the ECM is controlling the actuators for the (conventional) clutch and (conventional) motorcycle gearbox.

I adapted the PowerCommander QuickShifter to my 03 FJR and it works just like the "AE" at full throttle. Just pull the shift lever (don't back off the throttle at all) at WOT and the PowerCommander momentarily kills the injectors to cause the engine to hiccup just enough for the dogs to disengage and reingage into the next gear. Clutchless "automatic" upshifts at full throttle. Smooth as silk.

Not to take anything away from what Yamaha has done and accomplished from an engineering standpoint. Describing the system simply is a far cry from developing the actuators and software algorithms and controls and encompassing the potential failure modes of the system and operator. They have done an outstanding job it sounds like. The jury is still out I guess on whether there is that strong of a market for that type of system. Yamaha has certainly not done much with marketing the system no matter how sophisticated it is or how sophisticated it could be perceived.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's all moot. The statement is deemed as being false. As the Igginator pointed out, one does not drive a motorcycle, rather, one rides it. End of discussion.

Yamaha carries some of the blame for this mindset. They have done a very poor job of marketing the AE.
I would have though they could at least market it to the public or throw out a commercial or two.

I don't know many riders around me that even knew it existed unless I talked about it or the few that read about it.

This has been Yamaha's thinking the past few years. Keep it quiet and make it hard to get.

+1

Live and Let Live
I got the AE 'cause I wanted Silver. No regrets -- I find it to be perfect for me... but I must not know how to ride/drive a motorcycle ;)

As for what to call the transmission, just use what Yamaha calls it -- YCCS (Yamaha Chip Controlled Clutch).

+1
Live and Let Live
I got the AE 'cause I wanted Silver. No regrets -- I find it to be perfect for me... but I must not know how to ride/drive a motorcycle ;)

As for what to call the transmission, just use what Yamaha calls it -- YCCS (Yamaha Chip Controlled Clutch).

I call it computer controlled clutch, I say that and "most" people I am talking to get it at once. Other than that I call her my "Lil Bitch" cuz she is so sassy

.... and now for a slight Threadjack ....

Does anybody know if a similar system has ever been instituted in a car ?

I've read about electrically controlled clutches in AWD systems (controlling power distribution, not actually controlling the clutch of a manual trans)

I've also read about electrically shifted automatic trannys.

.... and now for a slight Threadjack ....

Does anybody know if a similar system has ever been instituted in a car ?

I've read about electrically controlled clutches in AWD systems (controlling power distribution, not actually controlling the clutch of a manual trans)

I've also read about electrically shifted automatic trannys.
Don't do that please. Please start a new thread.

Yes I know what you mean. The clutch lever sucks when you have to pull it in and hold it 2000 times in a 2 hour traffic jam in all states except in CA where they take care of these problems with lane splitting!
We don't have two-hour traffic jams in Montana. Come to think of it, we don't have traffic jams at all. Of course, we don't ride much in the winter either...
Must be a great place to ride in the summer though.

+1
Live and Let Live

I call it computer controlled clutch, I say that and "most" people I am talking to get it at once. Other than that I call her my "Lil Bitch" cuz she is so sassy
But it shifts electrically too <_<

There are a number of motocycles that are on the market with interesting trannies. On my Burgman 650 cvt trannied job you have 3 options for drive - 2 levels of power which is basically a change in drive ratio and a button to push that enables you to change gear via paddle shifter.

Honda and Aprilia are introducing motorcycles with advanced CVTs similar to Suzuki's 650 Burgman.

Honda DN-01

Aprilia Mana

And for super auto trans sport touring

Honda auto ST

I consider myself a "rider" in many senses of the word! Sure as heck not a "driver" of motorcycles!! , been riding continously since the early 1950s.Hitchhiking on part of what WC wrote, I also would not want another AE. Some of you on this forum know that I have an 05 and also an AE. I bought the AE primarily to test out the concept of some racecars to a street motorcycle. IMHO, the short fall of the current configuration of the AE is the "near loss" of clutch slippage in very tight turn situations or riding down steep gravel or sand grades. If Yamaha could come up with an option to clutch lever or not then they might have a more acceptable system. For me, I have enjoyed riding every single bike that I was fortunate enough to ride, but as in all of life some are just not as good as the others.

Live and Let Live
+1 TD

The guy who said he rides a "real" motorcyle, did you happen to notice if it had a kick start and a suicide shifter? I mean an electric starter and a foot shift are for sissies. :D

I applaud Yamaha for investing time and energy and money to develop something different, and going out on a limb. It takes corporate cojones to do that. I'm glad that most everyone who bought one really likes it. I would love to try it out myself but.....................given the limited resources in R & D for anything I wonder how many of us would rather see Yamaha engineer about 20 more hp and 60-80 lbs less weight?

Glenn

.......given the limited resources in R & D for anything I wonder how many of us would rather see Yamaha engineer about 20 more hp and 60-80 lbs less weight?
Glenn
I would rather have something innovative, like YCCS, than a few extra ponies or a few less pounds.

That coming from a non-technical, occasional, (slightly) comfort over sport oriented rider. This is the kind of innovation that would have tilted me towards a number of other bikes.

I could care less if a ST1300 or ??? is lighter by a few or has a few more horses. The reverse on the goldwing is cool, but it's on a bike in a different class.

So.... if Yamaha is looking for 30-40 somethings with a passion for unique and useable technology, I'd say "bullseye".

My $.02