FJRF003.1: Ignition Switch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The reason your dealers don't know anything about this recall is because as noted here:

The letter from Yamaha N.A. states that the letters to owners and technical bulletin to shops should go out on January 28th.https://nhthqnwws111.odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms...09V002-7020.pdf
...they have not yet been notified. Give them a chance to get the thing out before you condemn them.

I'm willing to give them a chance........but this was Yamaha CORPORATE (US) that told me this
I called Yamaha Corp, in Orange county as well and the woman on the phone told me at first there is no recall on the IS and when I insisted she said that my 2008 bike is not affected by the recall......go figure. It seemed clear to me that she was talking out of a different orifice...

The letter from Yamaha N.A. states that the letters to owners and technical bulletin to shops should go out on January 28th.https://nhthqnwws111.odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms...09V002-7020.pdf

Many thanks to those of you who made the effort to report failures. So far, I've been lucky, but I do carry both a jumper mod and a spare ignition with me at all times.

It is possible for the dealer to re-key the new ignition to match the old one (and rest of the bike). I intend to make sure that's part of the plan before I have mine swapped out.
Wonder when the document for the affected Vin # can be located/read?

Alfred

.... it seems that Brodie's "IS Relay" is the ultimate and permanent fix to this problem (after relieving the zip-tie induced stress on the IS wires), since without a large current flow through the contacts all other direct and indirect factors will become almost insignificant and IMHO will not lead to the IS failure.
I think Brodie's fix makes the zip tie issue a moot point. In the original configuration, I am in the camp that believes cutting the zip tie can potentially cause a premature ignition failure because it would allow additional movement of the wires under extreme heat. In addition, I don't believe the "stress" created by the zip tie (or any additional created by removing it) will allow the solder joint to fail in and of itself, and with Brodie's fix, there is no heat issue any longer to facilitate it. Thus, the zip tie is no longer a factor one way or the other with his fix.

To think I bought all those extra toggle switches for nothing....

To think I bought another 50 sets of Harness components for... :blink:

It will be interesting to see what was changed on the recall switch. Hopefully the bikes original key will be retained.

I'm glad Yamaha is finally addressing this issue.

Brodie
New switch or not, I'm still going with your relay.
+1

Seems a good idea to keep any high current going thru relays designed for the load

Assuming the Gen1 switch is basically the same affair, why so many fewer (if any) confirmed failures of this same type? Considering they have been around longer one would expect the failure rate to be higher if this was contamination based. But that has not been the case. In reality it appears that many of the 2006 MY failures happened quite early in the bike's life. So either the load on the 2nd gen switches is significantly greater or there is some physical difference between the assemblies that makes the 2nd gen switches less robust.
I'll take a stab at this, though one of the electron squad may zap my theory.

Alternator output increased significantly from 05 to 06, from 490 watts to 590 watts. That means more current going through what is most likely the same switch.

That's my guess as to why GenII are experiencing many more failures.

Just a quick response to the Gen I vs Gen II. No matter what the generator output, current can only flow if there is a load for it. We speculate that the generator output was boosted to accommodate higher current draw from the AE models. If the AEs do indeed consume more current we should see them over represented in failure counts. Also, all well electrically farkled bikes should be over represented in failure counts too.

True, if the farkles draw their power through the ignition switch. Many farklers have their own switched relays keeping the big load increases of heated gear, grips and lights off the switch.

For instance, the only added loads that go through my ignition switch are for my switched 12V relay coil and the PCIII. Everything else is either powered directly from the battery or through the 12V relay's contacts (not through the ignition switch). On top of that I have the HID headlights that are powered directly from the battery through their own relay, so I have actually removed the headlight current draw from going through the ignition switch.

Yes folks, believe it or not, the stock configuration has the headlight current going through the ignition switch contacts. That's almost 10 amps of current for the halogen headlamps alone! :blink:

Three cheers to Checkswrecks, Barabus, Skooter, and everyone else involved with the recall.

Hip Hip Horray!

Hip Hip Horray!

Hip Hip Horray!

:clapping:

NHTSA So has anyone heard wheather the 08's & 09's are actually on track for recall or is it only the 06's & 07's as this post shows

Last edited by a moderator:
OOPPs, I now see the letter from Yamaha which does include the 08's/09's certain models, I will have to have mine checked for sure, for all of you that have experienced this ignition problem first hand wow what a bunch of B.S.

I agree. A big thanks to all who made this an issue with NHTSA. Now I will wait to put my Heli triple clamp in so it can be done at the same time. Let's hope that the recall is for a full set of locks so we don't wind up with a key for the ignition and another for the bags. That would be unacceptable.

When mine failed I took it to Katy Yamaha (new Shop in West Houston/Katy), and after some encourangment from me Brandon (service manager) was able to change out the tumbler for me so I could keep my bike to 1 key. This was done under YES. So, when we all get around to this recall and you are having problems at your local Houston dealer maybe try my shop. no guarantees however if Yamaha will not pay he pay not be as helpful....we will see.

Now that it is an offical recall any idea how to get them to replace my left side case?...me and my ride went for a little tumble when it died.

When mine failed I took it to Katy Yamaha (new Shop in West Houston/Katy), and after some encourangment from me Brandon (service manager) was able to change out the tumbler for me so I could keep my bike to 1 key. This was done under YES. So, when we all get around to this recall and you are having problems at your local Houston dealer maybe try my shop. no guarantees however if Yamaha will not pay he pay not be as helpful....we will see.
Now that it is an offical recall any idea how to get them to replace my left side case?...me and my ride went for a little tumble when it died.
South Texas Yamaha located one mile west of I-45 on NASA RD 1 replaced my switch under YES warranty and also rekeyed it to match factory key. Just another option for those in the Houston area.

You guys ROCK. And just know Skooter, I never believed any of the harsh poopy I read on here about you!! :yahoo:

I am looking forward to hear details of the redesigned switch and about the 2 vs. 1 key issue. Maybe we will have some more convincing arguments for the one key- like if the recall forces two keys then to many owners may not choose the recall. Would this be convincing? Maybe there are better arguments?

I am looking forward to hear details of the redesigned switch and about the 2 vs. 1 key issue. Maybe we will have some more convincing arguments for the one key- like if the recall forces two keys then to many owners may not choose the recall. Would this be convincing? Maybe there are better arguments?
My ignition switch (UK, with the immobilise stuff) failed for a mechanical reason, so that the key wouldn't go in properly.
It was replaced under warranty, but before getting in the replacement, I told my dealer I wanted "one key fits all".

They got Yamaha to provide a complete set of ignition switch and 3 case locks :yahoo: .

Oh, and a new ECU, 'cos that's matched to the key's security code. So I guess the cost of the extra locks was small beer!

Just for the record, here in the UK, there's a 2 year, any mileage, warranty, but no YES equivalent. So now mine's over two years old, I'm on my own.

(....) Wonder when the document for the affected Vin # can be located/read?
Alfred
Alfred, I believe we European owners are not affected.

The design of our ignition switch (unlike the US-Spec model) contains an immobilizer and is significantly different.

AFAIK, there are no reported incidents of the kind described in the recall notice affecting Euro-type FJRs.

Stef

I am probably in the minority here, but I don't really see what the big deal about having one key is. I would actually welcome having separate ignition and luggage keys. Why? Because there are often times when riding along that I want to pull over for a second and grab something out of a side bag and I prefer not having to kill the engine and restart it.

I KNOW that this is a nice feature because I can do this somewhat now. My Givi trunk has a different key, of course, so I can open that at any quick stop anyway, so that is where the camera and rainsuit go when the trunk is on the bike. It would be nice to have the same capability when riding with just the side bags.