FJRForum Official 2015 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did that to Iggy one year. The 'WTF' look on his face was priceless.
Still have the WTF look...one of the highlights of the 2009 IBR!

Here I am having taken the long route from Los Angeles to Spokane, WA by way of the Great Lakes headed west after bagging a 7,921 point "Gay Bar" in Gay, Michigan. I think I recall a fairly long straight stretch of cars bunched up and overtook the lot at FJR-typical velocity in one swoop...and saw an FJR in the mass that caught up to me. I think some town by the lake I stopped and said hi with a fellow forum dweller--and made me smile the rest of the day. And then headed on towards Bemidji to stress about a blown shock.....Day 10 is always fuzzy in the IBR.

The other time I was riding partner with DougC in the 2007 and he had the predecessor to SPOT--StarTrax and a rider came up along side at a stoplight in Pennsylvania one night and scared the crap out of me as I thought I was hearing voices in my left ear.
That was me in PA.

Not having the benefit of knowing all the bonii at the time, and seeing as the track had you on a dead-on path to the Harley Davidson factory in York, PA, I could have sworn that was your target. Instead, it was back to some residential area to get a picture of a police car that wasn't a police car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a little insight from across the Pond.
FazerPhil might be one of those guys in or around Texas. Last couple of pages give hints.

https://www.ironbutt.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13347
From the official Day 2 report...

Phil Weston’s big bet to bag the Big Bend bonus before bouncing north went bust when hefailed to make the Daylight Only bonus in daylight. He had been shadowing Josh all day

Monday, but just couldn’t get it in the hole. It’s a good thing the 2013 14th place finisher had all

night in Alpine, Texas, waiting for the sun to rise. Based on his assault deep into the heart of

Texas today, Phil seems to have come to peace with his overbite and made good use of his

downtime. Assuming he took his rest bonus last night as well, he may be sipping lemonade

tonight from Monday’s lemons, near the top of the points tally and far more rested than Josh.

Dude in Cave Junction, OR had better start planning his/her return to ABQ!

Oh, this is so much fun!

Thanks to all the IBR veterans for insight and thoughts.......really appreciated by this Tennessee boy.

Looking forward to Sunday night in Kingsport!

This is just so much freaking fun. The guy in New Orleans might be getting pummeled by some storms. I'm guessing that may be why he seems to be statinary at the moment. At a place called "Iggy's" no less.
Looks like storms much of the way back west too unless he/she is planning to loop around them. That could be a miserable ride.

Re: dude in Cave Junction, OR:

Current temp in Medford (near Cave Junction) is 97F. High temp predicted today: 108F.

I'd bet my hat that the guy in New Orleans is the Iron Butt UK President; Mr Philip Weston. After all there aren't many riders with a UK spot and the other one is due west the last time I looked. I deduce this might be Chris McGaffin on his FJR?

FazerPhil as he's known (due to his previous favourite bike of choice) is no slouch when it comes to racking up the miles in double quick time having completed the first UK BunBurner 3000 Gold back in 2009. No easy task considering the size of the UK and the endless repetition of riding the same roads to get the miles done.

He's also probably one of the, if not the rider carrying the least amount of gear this year; one OEM topbox and one tail pack, that's it! And all on a little old 800cc Triumph Tiger.

Fingers crossed he doesn't blow it and can get back to ABQ in time without losing any points.

Go Phil
yahoo.gif

I wonder if someone could speak a bit more towards the physiological aspect of doing the IBR. I just got back from an 8 day, 6,000 mile tour of the west and was surprised to find that I had lost 6 pounds, despite being well hydrated. I can't imagine what an 11 day tour with many more miles per day does to a body. What can these folks expect? What parts of the body break down the most? How do they combat the ill effects of long days in the saddle?

I wonder if someone could speak a bit more towards the physiological aspect of doing the IBR. I just got back from an 8 day, 6,000 mile tour of the west and was surprised to find that I had lost 6 pounds, despite being well hydrated. I can't imagine what an 11 day tour with many more miles per day does to a body. What can these folks expect? What parts of the body break down the most? How do they combat the ill effects of long days in the saddle?
I can't speak to the IBR, but I can tell you how to manage multi-day, multi-thousand mile rides ... although you just did one
smile.png

I just completed a 48/10 in 9 days. That amounted to around 7500 miles in that time, then another 660 miles home.

I found out, and quickly, that the two of the critical factors are managing sleep and food. Eating fresh food, in small amounts but regularly along with maintaining good levels of hydration is half the battle. You should not be needing to pee any more or less than normal - and it should remain the normal color. Anything else and you are storing up trouble, including horrible constipation (yeah, I know this is not a nice subject), for later.

The same applies to sleep. If you start a major ride on little sleep (anticipation nerves), then ride a relatively easy first day, stop and sleep. You'll be good to go after that. A full sleep cycle is about 90 mins. You need multiples of these to stay alert. Two cycles is generally the minimum you can get away with for a few days, but at some point you will need six or 8 hours sleep. Short naps can help, but only once before you need sleep.

Many people vary on this. You need to learn what works for you but if you stay hydrated, rested and fed, you can remain on the bike almost indefinitely.

All of the above is really for the more extreme rides. An easier schedule of, say, 600 miles a day gives lots of time to eat and sleep normally.

The psychological part is tougher.

You have to find a way of staying on the bike when every fibre of your being just wants to stop. Calling home, calling friends, while riding can be a terrific aid. Just keeping your goal in mind helps two ... I imagine that in the IBR they thought of the expense, and that this is your moment, works wonders. When I wanted to quit halfway through my 48/10 due to the extreme pain in my ankles, my wife reminded me that if I quit now I would simply have to do again the 3000 miles already covered.

I play mental games all day while riding. Devise your own they do work very well. I also remind myself that this is supposed to be tough. If it were easy there would be no point, so I always expect it to be very hard, and I am usually ready for that.

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going"

Festar and I were out riding in the Black Hills again today, from Custer to Newcastle then North on US 85 and onto WY 585 towards Sundance and I-90 (the way to Devils Tower) we saw multiple IBR participants, all headed South on 585 or US 85 or East on US 16. 3 states and multiple National Monuments in the area, Devils Tower, Wind Cave, Jewel Cave, Mt Rushmore, Badlands NP and Minuteman Missile National Historic site.

From here to Albuquerque is right at 14 hours if you hustle and average about 70 mph.

Well, he's running into Baton Rouge just in time for 5:00 traffic. And of course, it's raining just hard enough to piss a rider off. This dude really is a glutton for punishment. If the weather was even remotely decent, I'd grab my bike, sit on the shoulder in Lafayette, and cheer him on for a few miles. But I don't feel much like getting wet....

Is "146" the guy that went to Big Bend? I suppose he's picked up Padre' Island to.

Will we (non-participant members of the public) be able to see the big picture score sheet (I.e. - who has gone where)?

Cimmon's daily reports are CHOICE!!! I don't know squat and I find myself already rooting for someone.

Really enjoying this thread.

That dude in New Orleans better get headed west ASAP.
He's getting farther and farther from the gravitational pull of Nawlins with each SPOT refresh!

Oh, my! There really is a daily limit of "likes." Wish I'd listened to earlier warnings! Now I have to wait tomorrow to "like" again.
weirdsmiley.gif

Many riders in the Black Hills today, most heading south towards Colorado. Fun to watch, but I need the daily updates to really understand what's going on. The first checkpoint should provide some interesting stories.

i am hearing that one rider has lost a gas cap, and that a good Samaritan is on the way to meet him with a new cap pulled from a showroom floor model.

This is the kind of support I really like about the IBR.

Is a rider actually heading est on US12 toward Lewiston ID. Google map says 1200 miles to the barn.

Edit - wow - 20 minutes later and this guy is at the Whitman Mission historic site west of Walla Walla. Very speedy.

I just passed two guys with loaded up GSA's heading west on I-80 going balls out. No Spot tracks so just regular 90 mile an hour guys. NHP will catch up to them soon.

How much will the timing of this rally affect the results? National parks and monuments on the 4th of July weekend. Devious planning.

Status
Not open for further replies.