FJR's In The 2005 Iron Butt Rally

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seriously, his bike was about middle of the road...  Most riders had a dash like his...
Middle of the road my Butt!

He had the only panic button I saw in Buxton. Very Trick! ;)

why 2 GPSs?
Less need to push buttons.

One to track your average to the next checkpoint, one to track your average to that next daylight only bonus.

OK gentelmen--(and Dale;) ;) --from left to right on dash>>>

Datel with on/off switch

Radio Shack timer (dual)

Top center--V1 remote display

Lower center--Smart Tire

Switch for StartraXX with `PANIC' button

XM radio (in waterproof box, and yes it works)

Handlebar L to R

Switch under grip for Aux lighting

Honda (Clarion) CB

Street Pilot III (for running averages)

V1

2610 (for routing)

Hella map light (18" arm)

Left fairing>>

Toggle switch turns off LH driving light (910 housings with HID conversion)

Front Heat Troller controls heated grips.

Rear controls optional Widder electrics

Not shown>>> On left lower fairing, Radio Shack project box with Cigarette lighter/and two BMW plugs for Widder/Phone charger ect.

A lot of lessons learned on this ride. Now to apply those lessons in `07 if I`m lucky enough to get chosen!!!!!! ;)

Rick Martin

Pontiac, IL.

Shane was on an ST1300. He has reported back that his land has a lot of cleaning of debris to be done, but the house was okay... until an upstairs pipe burst when the water was restored (which then flooded both floors some).
Thanks for the bike correction. And its good to hear there he had no major Katrina damage!

war man as cheif tech. inspector what does the team lookfor or not look for on the bike s .

Last edited by a moderator:
As one of Warchild's crack-trained inspectors--we were looking for three things. Paperwork, fuel volume, and sound.

I got to sound like a state trooper after a while with, "License, registration, proof of insurance" and also checked VIN numbers. I stressed Coni Fitch horribly as she had to rummage through her hotel room and find the registration.

If they had a fuel cell (almost everyone did) we were looking at it's capacity, construction, and mounting. Closest issue I ran across was Eddie James and Tom actually weighed fuel to calculate a 11.47 gallon capacity. Poor Eddie had 0.03 gallons to go!

Finally, we looked for non-stock exhaust and louder ones got the treatment of Tom Austin's decibel meter.

Other than that we were gawkers looking at the farkles. Peter Hoogeveen's periscope arrangement over his tablet had to be the highlight of my reviews.

Posted to another list by Tom Austin when he was posed the same guestion

> The question is - how do the tech inspectors for the IBA> figure out how much

> gas a tank will hold?  Weight? Volume? Chicken entrails?

>

If the aux tank is a simple shape, I measure the external dimensions, make a conservatively low estimate of the wall thickness and then calculate the volume based on the interior dimensions for length times width times height.  The volume in cubic inches divided by 231 is the number of gallons.

If the estimated aux tank volume based on estimated interior dimensions cause the total volume to exceed 11.5, or if the shape of the tank is too complex for a volume calculation, then I determine the capacity using the following steps:

1. empty the aux tank or determine that is empty.

2. fill a 5+ gallon container with gasoline (I also fill a second container with the same fuel if the aux cell is expected to be larger than 5 gallons).

3. pour a sample of the gasoline into a clear plastic graduate and measure its specific gravity with a high precision hydrometer (a device that looks like a big glass thermometer that floats in the gasoline).  (How much of the hydrometer floats above the surface of the gasoline is a function of the density/specific gravity of the gasoline.  The portion of the hydrometer that floats above the liquid surface is marked with a scale.  The "specific gravity" of the gasoline is its density realative to water; e.g., a gasoline with a specific gravity of 0.720 weights 72% as much as water.)

4. pour the sample back into the 5 gallon container.

5. weight the full 5-gallon container with an electronic scale that is accurate to about 0.01 pounds.

6. fill the aux tank.

7. weight the empty/partially empty 5-gallon container again.

8. determine the weight of gasoline it took to fill the cell by subtracting the weight measured in step 7 from the weight measured in step 5.

9. determine the density of the gasoline in pounds per gallon by multiplying the specific gravity determined in step 3 by 8.337 (which is the density of water in pounds per gallon at 60°F).  (I don't need to know the temperature of the gasoline as long as the temperature doesn't change between the time I measure the specific gravity and the time I fill the cell.  The hydrometer is calibrated to read specific gravity relative to water at 60°F.)

10. divide the weight calculated in step 8 by the gasoline density calculated in step 9.

The final calculation give me the volume of the aux tank in gallons.

Tom Austin

I got to observe (and help a little bit) in one of those measurements. We were told by the rider it was 11.3. After weights and calculations the magic number of 11.47 came out including hose volume from the cell.

Actually, another rider came closer at 11.49 gallons and another came out at about 11.75--over them limit. Tom sent him away to get a "fuel displacement device". He returned with two 16 oz Snapple bottles (Kiwi Strawberry). Emptied of Snapple and refilled with gas--he then stuff them in the cell and, I'm sure, was scrutinized during the rally to make sure they stayed present.

it seems to me that this long distance riding is 60 percent in the head and 30 percent in the body ?
Er.... what happened to that last 10%? :lol:

Yeah, 70/30 is probably about right.....

@ Valetz: What a procedure!

Okay, answer this...1 FJR leaves Chicago at 4 pm traveling 45 mph, another leaves California at 6 pm traveling 55 mph; what time will....... :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Zorkler,

you already got a few miles on your math. :bye2:

My ratio is 10% physical, 90% Mental.

My body will go anywhere my mind can convince it to.

Try going from Buxton, Maine to Ilwaco, Washington via windstorms and endless midwest drudgery.

Jim Owen ( who if hadn't been riding a COMPLETE piece of Tuetonic shite woulda won the rally handily ) referred to it as the Bataan' Death March of the 2005 IBR.

I concur.

LD Riding is SO much a mental phenomena.

Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

George Z

Free your mind, and your ass will follow.
I love it!!!!

Your not only learning LD riding from our mentor, but picking up some of his unique style of prose as well. Of course, you have always been special (as in the little school bus), so perhaps you deserve full credit for that little quote.

Bravo Zulu! Well done!

So, Scooter has spoken...George is officially a windowlicker on the short bus.

"Do you know any slow or special people?"

Scooter, I can't believe you'd bag on our virgin rally master like that.

PS. I've been drinking. Stone Brewing company's 9th anniversary party. Good times.

Your not only learning LD riding from our mentor, but picking up some of his unique style of prose as well. Of course, you have always been special (as in the little school bus), so perhaps you deserve full credit for that little quote.

Actually Greg, I stole that from the original MaggotBrain hissef. George Clinton of Funkadelic fame.

GZ

Maybe they could run a 5 day, 5000 mile event on alternate years to cater to those who think they're ready?
tel
There has been a 5 dayer in the past... It was put on by Team Strange (Eddie & Adam) they call it the Butt Lite.... Keep your ears open, I've heard of as many as 3 5-day rallys in the planning stage for next year.... Don't know how many will materialize...

-bvw. (Who has never run a Butt Lite, but would love the chance)
there's also the NW Passage Rally as a multi-day event.

As I just got back from trip who won the rally and where did Dean Tangi finish .

rogerfjrfaster :D