Flat spot off idle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You would want the thing to be roughly rotated correctly too though right? Or are you saying that you rotate it based on the Diag screen?

I haven't looked at the 3rd Gen procedure yet, though I should because I may be helping another owner replace his TPS soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you wait two months for Yamaha to give a flip, and another 3 for repair, you don't have know tps replacement. They'll replace the whole top end. :) . That said- the Yamaha extended warranty is a no brainer. So many expensive parts. But if I had to do it again- I'd have paid someone to replace the tps rather than waiting for Yamaha to replace the whole assembly free. I lost most of a year of riding over their slowness to fix their product.

Last edited by a moderator:
Direct quote from the Haynes manual regarding Throttle position (TP) sensor

On 2013-on models, position the sensor and lightly tighten the screws. Connect the sensor wiring connector. Simultaneously press and hold the TCS and RESET buttons on the instrument cluster, then turn the ignition ON and continue to hold the buttons for eight seconds or more until DIAG appears in the LCD display. Press and hold TCS and RESET buttons for two seconds until the code 01 is displayed. Carefully adjust the position of the sensor until 12-21 is displayed, then tighten the screws. Turn the ignition OFF.

So there you have it.

If (when?) it happens to my aesthetically superior 2014, I'll gladly cough up $100 and a couple hours in my garage to swap out the TPS to avoid the aggravation of having to go through the warranty dance others have experienced.
I realize that we are all conscious consumers, have paid a (dear) price for admission for our machines, and feel "entitled" to everything working as new (forever). But, I am a pragmatist above all, and when a bike that otherwise performs as well as (arguably far better than any other machine made for the same purpose) happens to have a little hick-up, and I have the ability to rectify that with a lowly Benjamin and my own time, I'm going to take that easy-path-less-taken 100 times out of a 100.

It's one of the big reasons that I dislike extended warranties at any price on most any purchase. I usually prefer to deal with my unmade bed myself. However, the intricacies and unknowns of the 3rd Gen ES suspension, while attractive beyond all resistance at purchase, pushed me into a YES situation again, even though I made no claims on my 2005's YES. But honestly, I'd still rather fix any problems myself than to become dependent on the Yamaha "support" people.

PS - Mike. We can fix it!
Hey Fred,

Don't forget you NH residents have more time to piddle in the garage than we southerners do. We're typically too busy riding in the winter.

lol.gif

However, I do agree with you that I'd much rather fix it myself than fool with the typical Yami dealer and bureaucracy. And I too purchased YES for the 2016 ES (a somewhat reasonably discounted one) for the same reasons of no available history on the complex ES.

Direct quote from the Haynes manual regarding Throttle position (TP) sensor
On 2013-on models, position the sensor and lightly tighten the screws. Connect the sensor wiring connector. Simultaneously press and hold the TCS and RESET buttons on the instrument cluster, then turn the ignition ON and continue to hold the buttons for eight seconds or more until DIAG appears in the LCD display. Press and hold TCS and RESET buttons for two seconds until the code 01 is displayed. Carefully adjust the position of the sensor until 12-21 is displayed, then tighten the screws. Turn the ignition OFF.

So there you have it.
Just that easy. Thanks for researching and posting that. Seems like a piece of cake!

Hey Fred,
Don't forget you NH residents have more time to piddle in the garage than we southerners do. We're typically too busy riding in the winter.

lol.gif

However, I do agree with you that I'd much rather fix it myself than fool with the typical Yami dealer and bureaucracy. And I too purchased YES for the 2016 ES (a somewhat reasonably discounted one) for the same reasons of no available history on the complex ES.
Too true about excess time during winter up here. Making some plans to trailer below the frost line in some upcoming years after retirement. The closer you get to the finish line the more precious every minute seems. ;)

And even though I'm glad I got the YES coverage from D&H, it seems like the ES suspension is fairly robust based on my poll in another thread. Still, there's a lot of other stuff to go wrong on these new fangled things. And I still have 3 more years of coverage to go.