FM Transmitter to use with Zumo 550

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TriggerT

Mr. Impatient
Reaction score
I would like to set up my Zumo 550 with an FM transmitter for in the car. This will make moving the unit from one vehicle to the other a lot easier. Has anyone else set up their Zumo this way, and if so how is it working for you? What type of FM transmitter are you using? Where did you get it, and how much $$? Any advice on setting the system up this way would be great.

Thanks!

If your car has the ability to accept a stereo plug, you can just plug it in with a stereo cable (assuming you want to use the MP3 capability of the zumo).

I know I could just hard wire it, but that means pulling the head units in 2 vehicles, and doing the wiring for both of them. I am thinking that a short range FM transmitter would be easier, faster, and depending on the type of cable needed for each head unit maybe even cheaper.

Nope, both vehicle only have CD players in them. They both have "AUX" buttons, so am am sure there are ports on the back to hard wire to, but see above for all the reason I don't want to do that.

I have the Belkin unit and used it exactly as you descibed. Works great...but...I did not get the 12volt car plug for it , I just used the batteries. They kept dying over night. (till I learned to take them out)

So get the car plug power adapter..

If you get one , get you will need to have a duel "ciggerette plug" to power both the transmitter and the Zumo.

KM

Thanks guys. I actually just added a 3 outlet power strip to one of the vehicles, which gives it a total of 4 outlets up front, and another one in the back. Since all of the things I am plugging in are pretty low draw, I figure it wont be a problem.

I stopped at Walmart this morning (lucky for me they are open 24 hours) and picked up a Belkin transmitter, with the car charger, for $20.00. It works great, and since I sync the Zumo with my cell phone, the audio from phone calls now also goes through the car stereo. For $20 it is well worth not having to deal with hard wiring two cars.

Thanks for the replies!

Look for a stand alone FM Transmitter for an iPod/MP3 Player like this.
Belkin makes a like called TuneCast. You can see them at the Belkin site, just choose Media player accessories and pick a player.

They are not iPod specific.

https://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage...oduct_Id=166903
Has anyone tried one of these with a Sirius Starmate radio yet?

I had to replace my Starmate Replay radio & the replacement has nowhere near the transmitter strength as my old radio.

I'm wondering if this might be an option?

TriggerT,

I have the ZUMO 550 too and your solution for using it with multiple vehicles sounds interesting. I use mine in the car more for the bluetooth connection to my RAZR. Is there some connection or adapter that connects it to the input of the Belken? Exactly how do you do that?

Last edited by a moderator:
TriggerT,
I have the ZUMO 550 too and your solution for using it with multiple vehicles sounds interesting. I use mine in the car more for the bluetooth connection to my RAZR. Is there some connection or adapter that connects it to the input of the Belken? Exactly how do you do that?

The Belkin just plugs into the audio out jack on the car mount. I used an extension cord so the transmitter can sit in the cup holder in my car while the Zumo is on the windshield. If you look at the unit from Renegades link, you can see the cable it comes with it not very long...

KM

Yup, using the FM transmitter with the Zumo along with a blue tooght phone works slick as shit. You hear the person you are talking to via the car stereo speakers, but you still speak into the microphone built into the car mount. AWSOME!

TriggerT,

It seems that you are still using the Garmin mount though, so why not just use those speakers? I thought you were avoiding moving the mount from vehicle to vehicle. :huh:

TriggerT, It seems that you are still using the Garmin mount though, so why not just use those speakers? I thought you were avoiding moving the mount from vehicle to vehicle. :huh:
Sorry, but I don't understand the question. When you say "Use those speakers" which ones do you mean? If you mean the speakers on the Zumo mount, it is because the sound quality through the car stereo is about 10K times better.

I don' think there is any way to avoid moving the Zumo car mount from one vehicle to the other, not if you want to listen to music through the Zumo unit anyway.

I stopped at Walmart this morning (lucky for me they are open 24 hours) and picked up a Belkin transmitter, with the car charger, for $20.00. It works great, and since I sync the Zumo with my cell phone, the audio from phone calls now also goes through the car stereo. For $20 it is well worth not having to deal with hard wiring two cars.
Thanks for the replies!
We love happy endings.

And I just might pick up one of those myself :)

Two problem I can report.

#1 - And this is more an inconvenience than a problem, is that between the power cord for the Zumo, the power cord for the FM transmitter, and the XM radio antenna, I have a real bundle of wires on the dash of my car.

#2 - Since I am in the Northern IL, and Chicago area most of the time when I drive, finding a vacant FM frequency to use can be a challenge.

Yes, I see what you're saying about the sound quality although with my poor hearing, I actually prefer the 'tone' of the Garmin speakers for clearer hearing of the other persons voice when I have a phone conversation or take directions from the ZUMO. Maybe it's the poor quality of the radio system in my cars though. I live in NorthWest Indiana about 20 minutes from Chicago and cannot find any unused clear channels. For many years I've broadcasted MP3s (on memory chips) through my radio. My MP3 player is a one piece unit that plugs directly into the cigarette lighter. The quality though is too dependent on the amount of interference from adjacent channels and has become practically unusable with all of the FM frequencies being consumed by the growing new population. I like the idea though and may pop for the Walmart unit hoping that the quality has been improved through technology. Thanks for the update too!