Foam Block on Lower Left Cowling?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyp3

Reaction score
I'm in the process of doing the initial oil change on my new 07 FJR 1300A and thought now would be a good time to address this question to the forum.

Below and a little aft of the oil filter is a glued on block of soft foam to the inside of the lower left cowling. It does not seem to shield anything or prevent rubbing of the cowling to the engine block.

What function does this serve?

Is it something that should have been removed during the original dealer new-bike prep?

Thought it would be a good idea to ask before removing.

Thanks.

I would leave it there.

I am making an assumption, but I would assume it is to reduce fatigue in the material due to vibration.... Or it is a shipping block for when you put your bike on a ship...

Jes sayin

Last edited by a moderator:
Fly3p

Of the nearly dozen or so 07's I looked at, they all had that little foam block. But it is your choice to keep it or not. Whatever makes you happy.

I suppose it could just be a cruel joke the assembly line guy is playing on us, but we'll never know... He calls it the "question foam."

If you ever see smoke coming out by the side stand it will be caused by some of the foam touching the tail pipe. It happened on my 07 and scared the devil out of me until I read on this forum what the cause might be. I removed mine.

Mac

Mine is still in there. It gets a thorough soaking with every oil change. Then it gets a thorough cleaning with Simple Green and the pressure washer immediately afterwards. I wouldn't know what to do if I didn't have to scrub all that damn oil out of that POS foam block!

I do think it's intended to dampen vibration fatigue. I would classify it as an "engineering afterthought".

:)

Try using a funnel to catch the oil, when changing. I cut up an empty, plastic two-litre of soda, for this purpose (worked fine). Otherwise, as already noted, oil will go all over the place, and soak that foam block. It's messy, I assure you.

As to purpose - Who knows? Engineers have their little mysteries.

You know, come to think of it, Yamaha may have finally engineered the perfect, self-oiling foam filter element. Too bad it doesn't fit a YZ!

Jess, Wrap yer little foamy thing (the whole panel) in foil before the change... Then pull the foil off and no mess... Forgot where I heard about that, prolly here hmmmmmmmm ^_^

Just checked my 08, it is resting against the oil pan. As stated, probably nothing more than something to assist in the wind buffeting.

Actually, I believe it is there to control the wind that could blow between the engine and the fairing. I very well could be to limit the hot engine air around your ankles and force it to vent under the fairing.

Just my guess.

We should start a contest to see who can guess the true reason for the foam thingy's existence. Problem would be finding the remains of the decapitated Japanese engineer who designed the thing.

:)

We should start a contest to see who can guess the true reason for the foam thingy's existence. Problem would be finding the remains of the decapitated Japanese engineer who designed the thing. :)
Once upon a time, I read a biography of Brian Bosworth (you know, the Oklahoma wonder kid who got blown up at the goal line by Bo Jackson on a Monday night... but that's a different story). Anywho, dingleberry worked in an auto plant and used to drop an extra bolt down in the frame of some cars just because he thought it would be cute to cause a rattle that would be hard to find.

I contend the foam is along the same lines. Somebody started doing it years ago as a joke. He then taught it to his replacement... who taught to his... who taught it to his... Now, Yamaha orders ten crates of foam for each new model year, but they don't know why.

Jess, Wrap yer little foamy thing (the whole panel) in foil before the change... Then pull the foil off and no mess... Forgot where I heard about that, prolly here hmmmmmmmm ^_^

You heard it here Cdogman: No Hastle Oil Change Instructions

I HIGHLY suggest peeps read the information in the link as Cdogman had at some point. I found the link to fjrtech.com in the bin-o-facts...I really don't know why people don't read that compilation of valuable info.

I've never had oil get on the foam or major amounts getting anywhere else. Left the packing material as a way to stabilize and firm up the plastic panel -- just in case. No empirical data........

You heard it here Cdogman: No Hastle Oil Change Instructions

I HIGHLY suggest peeps read the information in the link as Cdogman had at some point. I found the link to fjrtech.com in the bin-o-facts...I really don't know why people don't read that compilation of valuable info.

I've never had oil get on the foam or major amounts getting anywhere else. Left the packing material as a way to stabilize and firm up the plastic panel -- just in case. No empirical data........

GUNNY!!! // Fuzzy balls !

Anyone who has NOT read the Bin-o Facts is Nuggin Futz.. WC Has done a Sierra Hotel job of making 15 books of gobldy goop into a usable laymans format..

do a search on "packing material". I posted this question 2 years ago. We determined that know one knows for sure why its there. my (very oily) block remains in place. I'd have pulled it if it wasnt glued in. I find it hard to believe that is has any "'heat reducing" capablities or any "anti vibration" properties.

GreyGoose