Fogging face shield prevention

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sliick2

Reaction score
Friends,I bought a Shoei Rf-1100 last spring/start of summer & didn't have any fogging problems. At that time of the year here in Western New York,things are warming up & if the morning is cool I could open up the chin vent & fog

was gone.Last fall,as temps in the morning could range from 50 to 38ish.I started haveing trouble with the fogging,because I couldn't keep the chin vent open all the time due to the temp & face started freezing.I know that there are pin lock shields available for the Shoei,just didn't get one.Do you guys like the pin lock shields ? is there any other product that can be applied to the shield (seen other snake oil things on different cycle parts sites)that has worked for you ? Thanks in advance- Happy New Year !! Sliick :)

I absolutely love my pin-lock shield! I've tried various liquid applications in the past, but the results were generally so-so, if anything. Late last year, I picked up a pinlock shield and wow...what a difference. I've had zero fog problems this winter and like being able to keep the lid shut and the wind & rain out. :D

If you go with a pinlock, just make sure you get a good tight seal between the shield and the pinlock's "gasket".

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm finding the Pinlock to be the best answer on my Arai. I have used several "magic potions", each supposedly better than the next one, only to find they are all about the same. They work but only for a short time and require multiple applications over a short period which just becomes bothersome.

+1 on the pinlock. Only think I've found to be effective. Absolutely, positively stay away from the snake oil call Zooke. They sell it at the cycle shows. Completely and utterly worthless. Better off to run a $20 bill thru a shredder.

I have always been happy with FogCity fogshields for the Mid-Atlantic area (I ride 25 minutes to work as low as 15 degrees). I did like the Hyperoptiks version since in the sun it turned to a blue tint.

Last year I also got a PinLock which is much more money and seems to be some work to make sure the gasket seals (I have one insert which does not seal so I will have to try to change the holes a little by reaming them out?). I sprung for the PinLock so that I could easily change tints but find that changing the insert is not a simple enough matter since you have to remove the shield, lay down the visor so that you can flatten it to change the insert and then reinstall it. However, if it is sealed properly, I would say that the PinLock is more effective than the FogCity.

Shoei RF1000 owner who suffered fog last year. Pinlock ordered installed. No mask or snorkels needed any longer to remain fog free!.

When they saw my .mil email address, they gave me a nice discount, along with some extras.

A +100 on the Pinlock. After 40 years riding, nothing I have tried has worked so well. I even stopped riding on cold days because of visor fogging. Not now , the pinlock has opened up more riding for me and is my favorite bike related farkle. Get one.

KM

Spend the $$$, get the Pinlock and be done with fogging issues. A side benefit of the Pinlock is different color inserts for various conditions. I've picked up both light / dark gray for those [rare] sunny days and yellow for overcast days. The improved contrast is really nice.

Good Luck!

--G

Spend the $$$, get the Pinlock and be done with fogging issues. A side benefit of the Pinlock is different color inserts for various conditions. I've picked up both light / dark gray for those [rare] sunny days and yellow for overcast days. The improved contrast is really nice.

Good Luck!

--G
Thanks for the feedback ! Can the shields be purchased with the inserts installed ? Or is it

just a matter of getting the shield with the pins already installed,then put the insert in ?

Thanks again.

I've been using a Respro Foggy for about 2 years. It eliminates the fogging most of the time, still get some at stops and have to lift the visor though. I think a pinlock is in my future, the $$ keeps me away for now though...

I had the Foggy breath guard for a couple years and last winter bought the pinlock with a clear insert. The pinlock works much better especially in more extreme conditions. I use it regularly, however I'll share one caution.

The optics tend to magnify and glare very bright lights. Thus it's nearly impossible to use in the evening with oncoming headlights. That means having to change shields for the ride home from work. Any decent sun requires dark sunglasses to deal with the glare (and then the sunglasses are prone to fogging). I'm planning on getting either an amber or smoke insert next time I'm in someplace that carries them.

I still use the Foggy for light mornings just so I don't have to change shields before heading home.

I'd suggest a yellow lens for the night riding. It does wonders for the peepers at night and works quite well in foggy / rainy conditions once you get used to it.

Another trick for us old hockey players is to rub shampoo on the inside of the shield, then buff to a shine. Baby shampoo was easiest.

I've got a rf1000 and the pinlock system. Works better than anything else I've tried including the shampoo and mx fog spray. Pretty expensive but works. Did a brief ride today around 18f and it worked great!

Shiny and Ray swear by goat piss...
Up yours Sheep Boy. You just don't know about the finer things.

Uh, getting back to face shield fogging stuff. . . :dribble: . .I really like my Shoei Multitec. Not interested in buying another helmet so I can have a pinlock. And I'd LOVE to put fogging problems behind me. Anybody know if you can get a pinlock system for this helmet? Would it interfere with opening and closing either the face shield or the chin bar? Know of a good supplier or website that would carry such a thing, if it exists? Thanks.