Footware

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frayne

Reaction score
In the market for some new riding footware. Would like to find something good for riding as well as comfortable when just walking around.

I currently wear tennis shoes on short day rides and harley leather high top boots on road trips. I would like to find a good all around riding shoe/boot that would be comfortable and functional for both short and long trips, while being comfortable just walking around in.

Any suggestion, preferences or ideas would be appreciated.

Frayne,

I went with Sidi boots. I have the B2 and Vertigo boots, not that I do a lot of walking around in them (bring my work shoes with me and change at work) but a co-worker bought the Sidi Doha and they look pretty comfy. The B2 and Vertigo's are comfortable but I wouldn't hike in them and they are much safer than tennis shoes.

Of course Sidi boots may have a higher price tag (you didn't mention budget) but I like the quality. Worth a look.

Harley boots on a FJR....Blasphemy :lol:

Jim

I purchased some hiking lace up high tops from Academy, approximately $80. They are Timberland brand, leather and gore-tex, and are waterproof. Good grip, firm sole, lightweight, great to ride with or walk around in.

I've got a pair of Danner Sharptail 8" GTX hiking boots. About the most comfortable pair of boots I've ever worn. Being waterproof is a big bonus too. I wear them for everything from riding, hiking, working, to hunting.

SIDI On Roads. Good protection, all day comfort, and they dont look Ricky Racer. Best riding boots I've ever owned.

https://www.newenough.com/boots/waterproof_...ycle_boots.html

Sidi_OnRoadGore_Black.jpg

IMG_4026.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on the Sidi "On Road" been wearing a pair of these for 4 years now and still look new.

Very comfortable as well.

Best boot on the market. IMO

Mark

I wear TourMaster boots. Very comfy both on and off the bike, and they are as waterproof as leather can get.

I'll probably be abused for this suggestion, but for the past 3 years I have been wearing an extremely inexpensive pair of touring boots made by Nitro Vega. They are very comfy, soft enough to give excellent control of the pedals, and pretty darn good in all weather. I paid around $60 for them and was so happy with them that I outfitted both my wife and son with them as well.

In fact, I also have a pair of Aerostich Combat Tour Lites ($$$) that I have been working diligently on breaking in, but the cheap ass Vega boots are so comfy I just tend to put those on every tiome I'm headed out.

Search eBay or Google for Nitro Vega and you'll find them.

Fred, do be careful with those. My wife had a pair on when she low-sided a couple years ago. The sprain was bad enough but a a flat quarter sized rock ended up going through the sole of the boot and cutting her foot. Just an FYI.

Fred, do be careful with those. My wife had a pair on when she low-sided a couple years ago. The sprain was bad enough but a a flat quarter sized rock ended up going through the sole of the boot and cutting her foot. Just an FYI.
Yeah, I know they aren't the best at protection. I don't see how a rock would have gone through the sole except by some really freak occurance, but I am also not under any false impression that they are highly protective. As in all things in life, it is a big compromise. In this case, comfort vs protection. No boot will protect you if they are so uncomfortable that you don't wear them.

However, you'll have to admit that they do offer far superior protection to the tennies the OP has been wearing to this point.

SIDI Air Champion boots for me - walking around is like wearing Nike - I do high exertion hikes to waterfalls in them comfortably

I'm on my second pair - first pair is 3 years old and for long tours, wanted a second pair broke in and first pair as a spare - great for warm climates - NOT water proof or even water resistant - these are vented boots

Winter rides - wear 2 pair of wool sox - works well

Rainy rides - wear pair of Seal Skinz water proof sox

Boots on closeout at New Enough - size 38, 42, 48 only

google "Sidi Air Champion boots" for other possibilities

I wear the Sidi Way Rain. Comfy, good protection and great quality, may be a little warm on those really hot days. I would definitely buy another pair.

In the market for some new riding footware. Would like to find something good for riding as well as comfortable when just walking around.
I currently wear tennis shoes on short day rides and harley leather high top boots on road trips. I would like to find a good all around riding shoe/boot that would be comfortable and functional for both short and long trips, while being comfortable just walking around in.

Any suggestion, preferences or ideas would be appreciated.

HERE's a link from April 2008 asking a similar question. After reading it myself, I chose to go with the Bates Tactical boots. They are great for walking in (I use them to teach a 10 hr day of Motorcycle Safety). And they are very usable on the bike as well. Though it hasn't needed it, my only complaint would be that it doesn't have a shift guard over the left toe. Nevertheless, if they ever wear out, I will buy them again.

HERE's a link from April 2008 asking a similar question. After reading it myself, I chose to go with the Bates Tactical boots. They are great for walking in (I use them to teach a 10 hr day of Motorcycle Safety). And they are very usable on the bike as well. Though it hasn't needed it, my only complaint would be that it doesn't have a shift guard over the left toe. Nevertheless, if they ever wear out, I will buy them again.
I wear a similar boot, the Magnum Midnight Plus II. Given a choice I take an 8.5EE (extra stable, I like to think :) , & they're about the most comfortable boot I've owned. Not maximum protection, but some.

Frayne,

I did a write up back in December on the Vega Touring Boot [Clicky] So far I have enjoyed them with little complaints. I did some light hiking at Break Interstate park in VA a couple of weeks ago and wore them every where (forgot my shoes). Any way, check out my little review, I paid $70.00 for the pair and think that they are well worth it. Only complaint? They tend to be a little on the cold side in cool wet weather, but do not leak. I got about 10K mile on them now.

Violione.