Footware

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sidi on road gortex great boot a little stiff at first but broke in in a short time now they are great and comfy too!!

I have a pair of Gore-Tex Alpinestars, that apparently they don't make anymore. Or at least the current version is a tad uglier. They are very, very comfy. SMX4's I think they were. Kind of a half breed between race/touring but water proof.

My only issue is the soles just weren't very thick and in two years of dragging my fee to stretch I've worn then down pretty badly. I'd like to get them resoled but don't know if I can. I would buy these again if I could still find them.

I bought a pair of TCX boots on clearance that should be more comfy and have more features but they are simply hell to walk in. Very flat, very little support.

I also have a pair of Sidi shorties that are my short day favorites.

I'm now thinking hard about the bates or other tactical boots.

HERE's a link from April 2008 asking a similar question. After reading it myself, I chose to go with the Bates Tactical boots. They are great for walking in (I use them to teach a 10 hr day of Motorcycle Safety). And they are very usable on the bike as well. Though it hasn't needed it, my only complaint would be that it doesn't have a shift guard over the left toe. Nevertheless, if they ever wear out, I will buy them again.
I should probably clarify some things. 1st, I also have a summer pair of Joe Rocket riding boots I use if I 'know' I'm not gonna do much walking. I also have a great pair of Triumph waterproof winter boots with Gerbing heated soles that I use through cold inclimate weather. The other thing is that if you do ever have a get off and apparel damage is done, insurance will not cover any apperal that is NOT motorcycle approved gear. Thus, the Bates Tactical boots would not be covered. I figure a boot that is under $60 is considered affordable collateral damage ;)

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator: