For those those that evaluated the damage to my bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jocko87

Reaction score
I am looking for some assistance in deciding how much I'm willing to spend to buy the thing back. One concern is that I have to give up perfect saddlebags and a seat of some sort. The other is that the forks are spiffy new GP Suspension rework. I did not see it or look very hard but I am assuming the forks are damaged and unusable. My question is about the guts...I imagine that the valving and springs could be salvaged and either I or GP could install them into my next 05. I might be off base on that but it might be worth a try.

I have numbers and am leaning towards buying it back so if anybody noted a particular part that was still good or had interest in post up...buying it back gives me perfect saddlebags and gas tank, along with motor, wheels and drivetrain.

Please note that this is not a for sale thread, I just want some opinions about how much can be salvaged from people who have seen the bike.

Thanks, Kurt

I am looking for some assistance in deciding how much I'm willing to spend to buy the thing back. One concern is that I have to give up perfect saddlebags and a seat of some sort. The other is that the forks are spiffy new GP Suspension rework. I did not see it or look very hard but I am assuming the forks are damaged and unusable. My question is about the guts...I imagine that the valving and springs could be salvaged and either I or GP could install them into my next 05. I might be off base on that but it might be worth a try.
I have numbers and am leaning towards buying it back so if anybody noted a particular part that was still good or had interest in post up...buying it back gives me perfect saddlebags and gas tank, along with motor, wheels and drivetrain.

Please note that this is not a for sale thread, I just want some opinions about how much can be salvaged from people who have seen the bike.

Thanks, Kurt
Kurt,

The frame is broken at the steering stem mount from the handlebars whacking the stop. This bike will require a complete frame swap and an extensive amount of parts. Jeff's bike is in the same shape. It is not uncommon to see the frame broken at that point since it is aluminum and not steel. Also, yours I know is going to require a subframe and other major components. You are taking a chance using parts off this bike on another.

I would wave goodbye to it unless you want a major project that will have a salvage title to go along with it. I would look for something else.....just my opinion.

Tony

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks, Kurt
Sorry about your "trip highlight" Kurt.

Just food for thought.

In November 2006, I totaled a Concours on AR123 north of Lurton.

When the salvage dealer came for the remains, I simply installed the "filler panels" and kept the saddlebags.

If you have an aftermarket seat, simply mount one or the other on the bike and keep the one you like.

I would simply stress the value of the upgraded suspension when negotiating the value of the bike.

Like Tony said, I wouldn't reuse any suspension parts from the wrecked bike.

I am not thinking about a rebuild in any way. More salvage value than anything. I have already had the seat and saddlebag discussion with insurance, they get 'em.

My plan would be to strip whatever is useable and smelt the rest....

I am not thinking about a rebuild in any way. More salvage value than anything. I have already had the seat and saddlebag discussion with insurance, they get 'em.
I had the same thought about a wrecked Jeep I bought for usable parts. Mine was working perfectly except for a few things.

In the end, I don't think it was worth the hassle of ripping into the parts Jeep to save (and move to three different houses) and use them...wait, I never did.

Cut bait and run. The grand plans you have now will be sitting in the corner staring at you each time you go past it.

I had the same thought about a wrecked Jeep I bought for usable parts. Mine was working perfectly except for a few things.

In the end, I don't think it was worth the hassle of ripping into the parts Jeep to save (and move to three different houses) and use them...wait, I never did.

Cut bait and run. The grand plans you have now will be sitting in the corner staring at you each time you go past it.

I'm not a "grand plans" kind of guy...The insurance made the decision easy anyway, post up if you want something, I'll have the bike back this weekend.

By the way, if you don't have custom parts coverage, get it. This is the second time it has come through for me, just save your receipts.

Not trying to rub salt in a wound, but you shouldn't have mentioned the saddle bags at all.

Jagermeister totaled an 07, when they came to pick the bike up, he simply did not put them on the bike.

He was left with 2 perfect saddlebags which earned some $$ for farkles!

Paging Mr. ionbeam... 04 motor cam chain death... Kurt, maybe you guys could work something out.
Vulture.jpg
Is that thing dead yet?

img0602iz7.jpg

Not trying to rub salt in a wound, but you shouldn't have mentioned the saddle bags at all.

Jagermeister totaled an 07, when they came to pick the bike up, he simply did not put them on the bike.

He was left with 2 perfect saddlebags which earned some $$ for farkles!

Unfortunately Ar-Kansas has some motorcycle savvy insurance agents...

Paging Mr. ionbeam... 04 motor cam chain death... Kurt, maybe you guys could work something out.
Vulture.jpg
Is that thing dead yet?

img0602iz7.jpg

That would be a bad angle, kinda like a bloody nose...you wouldn't happen to be the one looking for an engine would you? The bike is on the way home now, I can have it out in a couple days.... :clapping:

The GP innards are prob no good from a wreck like that. All it takes is a small scratch on a wall and you'll be eating the tubes from the inside out.