fork oil soaked rotor

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just got my bike back from getting traxxion ak20 cartridges installed and was told the seals where leaking for a while and the pads are no good and the rotors have oil on them. Is there a way to bring them back with sanding or any other method, rotor have black sections on them

Last edited by a moderator:
No need to change rotors.. Pads. Yes for sure..

Get a sealmate or cut up a milk carton..

Watch a seal mate video.. Fix the leak, get new brake pads on her and good to go.

^+1 Replace the pads

You can likely remove those black spots on the rotors using fine grit sandpaper or emery cloth -- 320 - 600, or a 'sanding sponge' available in auto supply/hardware stores. Brake cleaner plus elbow grease plus mild abrasive should do the job.

Just got my bike back from getting traxxion ak20 cartridges installed and was told the seals where leaking for a while and the pads are no good and the rotors have oil on them. Is there a way to bring them back with sanding or any other method, rotor have black sections on them
Brake pads are made by pressing and binding a bunch of stuff together. The result is a porous structure that absorbs oil, and cannot be cleaned simply by attempting to de-grease them. Many folk will tell you to buy a new set, and that might be the best advice, but in my experience they can be de-contaminated quite easily.

Remove them from the calipers and remember where they went. In a metal bowl, or just a concrete floor, use a propane torch to gradually heat them. Keep warming them until they begin to smoke. They will smoke for a good few minutes as the heat drives out the oil and it burns. Once cool, wipe them with brake cleaner and install.

The adhesive binding them to the backing plate is highly resistant to heat, but you do not want to get them too hot. The two occasions I have done this jave restored oil-soaked pads to full efficiency. If they are more than half worn, I probably wouldn't bother.

As I said above, if you are uncomfortable heating the pads, buy new ones.

Clean the rotors with a red scotchbrite pad and then brake cleaner. There are rotary bits for electric drills that use a bunch of pads to save a lot of work, not sure if you need to go that far.

No need to change rotors.. Pads. Yes for sure..
Get a sealmate or cut up a milk carton..

Watch a seal mate video.. Fix the leak, get new brake pads on her and good to go.
I would hope he would not get the forks back from Traxxion leaking! I believe they were leaking for a while before the upgrade.

Everyone covered what to do for the rotors. Personally, I would not mess with oil soaked pads. Especially on the front. New ones would be my suggestion for piece of mind.

Perhaps the seals were repaired... They were just noting he should replace his pads..

Twigg is right, one could just burn ofF the oil... I've never been an advocate of that, but only because it would be a liability for us and not something i would want for our customers, sending then down the road with a question mark.

I don't like to mess with brakes, leave nothing to chance with your brakes...

I had the same problem when I bought my FJR, but only one side was leaking. The pads were trashed, I replaced them once I did the Seal Mate treatment to stop the leak. I cleaned the rotors off when replacing the pads, and all has been well for 5000+ miles.

Yeah guys I had the work done by Computrack Boston and he did all the seals and bushing too of coarse. It was over due and I had a feeling the Seal was leaking when I bought this bike. I will go with new a Pads and scotchbrite pad.