Fork Protectors

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Due to road debris i am getting small pits in the lower front fork legs. has there been made a add on lower front fork protector
You're talking the lower fork legs, not the upper fork tubes?

Not sure if there are any specific protectors available, but you could put some (clear) protective tape on them?

Otherwise, depending on how far you want to go, could paint them? Just a couple ideas.

ForkProtectors.jpg

Think you might be able to mod these to fit your FJR. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Those came on my '06 when I bought it. Hell, I thought they were factory.
Those look very similar to the factory fork guards, but the factory ones require you to remove the fork tubes from the triple tree to remove and install while those look like they clamp on.

wow what great ideas , but my FJR is Cherry colored and i am not sure the pink guards wouln't clash although it is Breast Cancer month

Small pits on the lower tubes of the forks are the "cost of doing business"...if you don't want them, I guess you could park the bike in the garage and wrap it with soft, downy pillows or something. ;)

Perhaps that clear 3M stuff, like what's used on painted parts elsewhere on the bike by some, could work. Doubt it, but you never know.

I'm guessing the OP is talking about the lower section of the inner fork tubes, just above the fork seals. Because that is an important area for the longevity of your forks, unlike the lower tubes themselves. Nobody gives a crap what those look like.

This is a rather timely discussion for me because I have just removed my Superbrace (which came with the bike when I bought it used). I've never been a huge fan of the superbrace as it doesn't seem to actually accomplish anything tangible (lots of "placebo" effect though) but it does seem to create a small amount of added stiction by forcing the lower fork legs into an exact spacing that they may not want to naturally be in.

In any case, I was planning on replacing the stock guards (requires removing fork legs to do, as Geezer mentioned) if I decide I like the forks better without the brace, but this gives me an added option, which is quite attractive.

Thanks.

FUZZY BALLS Burnspot. ;) As are scratches, bug guts, boot scuffed pipes,an tire wear.

The cost of moving a bike under it's own power, unprotected by a trailer.

"Nobody gives a crap what those look like." - I do

I saw a pic a few years back with a carbon fiber like material stuck to the lower legs, looked great but not sure where the pic is. I'll do some searching.

Another option is to have them repainted the next time that your bike is off the road for a full fork refresh, that's what I plan to do

Canadian FJR

Years ago, I went through two sets of fork seals and had to replace two fork tubes on my CBR1100XX because of stones hitting the fork tubes.

I ended up installing a set of Hippo Hands Fork Gaiters and in the 8 years that they've been on the bike, I've never had any pitting on the fork tubes that caused the seals to leak. They're a great product and very inexpensive.

Fork Gaiters

I'm guessing the OP is talking about the lower section of the inner fork tubes, just above the fork seals. Because that is an important area for the longevity of your forks, unlike the lower tubes themselves. Nobody gives a crap what those look like.

This is a rather timely discussion for me because I have just removed my Superbrace (which came with the bike when I bought it used). I've never been a huge fan of the superbrace as it doesn't seem to actually accomplish anything tangible (lots of "placebo" effect though) but it does seem to create a small amount of added stiction by forcing the lower fork legs into an exact spacing that they may not want to naturally be in.

In any case, I was planning on replacing the stock guards (requires removing fork legs to do, as Geezer mentioned) if I decide I like the forks better without the brace, but this gives me an added option, which is quite attractive.

Thanks.

Fred, when I put my Superbrace on quite a few years back I had to remove the stock guards to place it in position properly. Your saying you still have the originals installed with the Superbrace? I'm wondering what that looks like.

Thanks, Todd

Fred, when I put my Superbrace on quite a few years back I had to remove the stock guards to place it in position properly. Your saying you still have the originals installed with the Superbrace? I'm wondering what that looks like.

Thanks, Todd
No, mine is missing the stock guards too. That's why I'm considering buying these aftermarket ones, so I won't have to pull the forks out to put the guards on. But I want to be sure that I'll be leaving the super-brace off first.

Thanks, Todd
No, mine is missing the stock guards too. That's why I'm considering buying these aftermarket ones, so I won't have to pull the forks out to put the guards on. But I want to be sure that I'll be leaving the super-brace off first.
Fred I stopped using the fork brace on my FJR for the same reason. It seem to cause stiction in the front forks. It didn't seem to matter how I tightened up the fork brace. I thought the front end felt funny and wow what a difference with the fork brace off the suspension could move like it is suppose to. I had the same design your selling except it was a superbrace and I notched the front for the brake banjo bolt.

Thanks for the feedback, Erik. It must be that this happens if your fork legs are not perfectly true, then the brace tries to force them back into the correct dimension, which results in that stiction problem. I can't believe that otherwise people would all seem to think they are great.

BTW - My results were also positive after removing the brace so I've sold it off. Rather than buying the stock protectors and pulling the forks, or the expensive ones linked to above, I sprung for a set of the NOJ fork wraps, which are a neoprene style guard. That should do the trick, and with the velcro install they are easy to remove and wash, at least until I have to do another fork service, then I may put some stock guards back on.