Fork swap?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know if Gen I and Gen II forks are interchangeable?
No. Remember that even the calipers are not the same. I have a Gen I and a Gen II and thought about the same thing, but after considering all that will need to be changed, forget it. I think that size-wise only they are the same, but that is where the similarity ends. I also think that the axles are different.

Sredder

I have an 03 gen 1 and just installed gen 2 forks using the rotors and calipers the axles are different so a gen 2 axle is needed and you need to plug the abs port on the caliper on the right if you do not have abs. The new breaks give you a dual piston caliper.

I have an 03 gen 1 and just installed gen 2 forks using the rotors and calipers the axles are different so a gen 2 axle is needed and you need to plug the abs port on the caliper on the right if you do not have abs. The new breaks give you a dual piston caliper.
You mean you had to replace your '03 quad-piston calipers?

Regarding the calipers, the Gen-II calipers have more expensive pad sets (two pads for each side of each caliper,) one pair of which will never see use because the Gen I does not have the linked brake system from the rear. The reference above to plugging the ABS caliper is actually the linked caliper from the rear brake.

Also, the Gen-II fork is more difficult to work on, with its more complicated bushing arrangement. I'm not sure why putting Gen-II forks on a Gen-I bike is something one wants to do, unless you're repairing a wreck with bent forks and that's all you can find on eBay.

Last edited by a moderator:
You mean you had to replace your '03 quad-piston calipers?

Regarding the calipers, the Gen-II calipers have more expensive pad sets (two pads for each side of each caliper,) one pair of which will never see use because the Gen I does not have the linked brake system from the rear. The reference above to plugging the ABS caliper is actually the linked caliper from the rear brake.

Also, the Gen-II fork is more difficult to work on, with its more complicated bushing arrangement. I'm not sure why putting Gen-II forks on a Gen-I bike is something one wants to do, unless you're repairing a wreck with bent forks and that's all you can find on eBay.
What I am doing is defarkling my Gen I FJR prior to trading it in on a Super Tenere. I had the forks upgraded at GP Suspension and added a Penske shock. A friend is interested in the shock and the forks. I know we can swap the shock, and thought we may be able to swap forks. Looks like he'll have to do his own fork upgrade. Thanks BTW, I have T-Rex frame sliders and a Gaurald passenger back rest for sale. The sliders don't require any drilling. PM me if interested. Racer

Last edited by a moderator:
What I am doing is defarkling my Gen I FJR prior to trading it in on a Super Tenere. I had the forks upgraded at GP Suspension and added a Penske shock. A friend is interested in the shock and the forks. I know we can swap the shock, and thought we may be able to swap forks. Looks like he'll have to do his own fork upgrade.
Its a fairly easy procedure to swap the fork cartridges and springs, I just moved my GP Suspension fork internals from a Gen I to a Gen II (05 to 08). You do not have to completely disassemble the fork, the fork seals, upper bushings, and fork tube stay in place, the springs and cartridge comes out the top. The only thing you will need to replace is the fork oil and the 4 copper washers (one for each fork) at the bottom of the fork.